Hail from ... Florida.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Uptheirons5150, Apr 25, 2011.

Uptheirons5150

Uptheirons5150 New Member

Florida is lame. And hot. I wish I lived Finland, or a country boardering it.

I play drums and listen to music as much as I can. I listen to metal. I listen stuff from Turisas (symphonic folk metal) to Children of Bodom (melodic death metal). I really like a lot of prgressive metal bands (Protest The Hero, Dream Theater, etc.) and power metal bands (Sonata Artica, Dream Evil, Dragoforce, etc.). I like some pop-rock like Foo Fighters and Rise Against. Anything with fun drum parts. :D I like some regular pop (Lady GaGa, really) but I do not actually have her music on my iPod. I have to look hetero if someone checks out my music. :p

I like emoticons, but try really hard not to use them.

I am a junior in high school. I am in the IB program. It sucks, don't do it.

I am currently endeavoring too write an Extended Essay for school. For this I am doing a character comparison between Dumbledore and Gandalf. It is posted in the Tolkien forum, if you want to check it out and perhaps add to it. ;) It is an investigation, not a research paper; there is a difference.

After school, I think I might study metallurgy and look into becoming a cymbalsmith (I really like cymbals). If not, I might go down some chemistry route. If neither of these work, accounting seems like a safe plan C.

I really like fantasy. I have not read that much, but I think I am going to try and read a lot over the summer. I am embarking on LOTR now and have some other Tolkien books, too. I have read Harry Potter and the Eragon series. By read, I don't just mean read. I know my Harry Potter. I have read them x many of times. I am not perfect, of course, but I can answer nearly any Harry Potter question any of my friends or brother throw at me (a fun past time). I am fairly confident I know my Eragon more, there is just no one to quiz. I would get owned by a Tolkien quiz, you guys are crazy. I will be up to your level in not too much time!

It is too late at the moment. I should be writing an essay (Ibsen, bleh...).

I am apart of many forums under many different names, but I like this one. It's cozy. :)

17, by the way. Male.
    Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Goblin Princess Staff Member

Hello! We've already interacted in the Tolkien forum, but I'll take this opportunity to welcome you officially.

Amidst all that essay writing for school, have you ever tried your hand at fiction? If so ... or even if not, actually, since sometimes you have to try something to find out what your capabilities are ... you might like to join in our http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/531196-april-2011-three-hundred-word-challenge-read-first.html You have until the end of the month to write an entry, and then comes the fun of voting on a favorite story. Which, in fact, will be a pleasure open even to those who haven't contributed something.

Meanwhile, we've just closed our other writing challenge for the month, but again reading and voting is not reserved for those who have entered. http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/531185-april-2011-seventy-five-word-challenge-read-first.html.

But even outside the writing forums there is a lot to be seen and a lot to do. Gaming, Television, Movies, Art ... if it's related to science fiction or fantasy we have it covered. Also forums for History, Science, Technology (if you are interested in photography, we have a Challenge for that, too, http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/531202-april-photography-challenge-please-read-first-post.html) Sports, World Affairs, general silliness in the Lounge, and yes, Music Music - Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums, although that isn't one of our busiest forums.

Feel free to ramble around.

I used to think California was lame, but after about sixty years I realized I kind of like the place. Maybe in another forty or fifty years you'll get used to Florida. From what I hear, it has great retirement communities.
    nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

welcome
    Shinju

Shinju Just Hangin' Aboot!

Welcome! :D I am slightly jealous of you living in sunny Florida, I'm sure it's not lame! XD
    alchemist

alchemist Not on holidays

Welcome, irons. Glad to have you aboard.
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

Hello and Welcome to the Chronicles!

I second Teresa's suggestion of your visiting the Writing Challenges. Come and vote in the 75 word Challenge, plenty of good stories there, and a welcome relief from Ibsen, I have no doubt! Also, do enter the 300 word Challenge -- we're always on the look out for new talent.

I don't know about us being cozy here, or even cosy as we're mostly Brits. Now, if you'd said crazy...
    Panther Fiction

Panther Fiction Panther Fiction

Greetings from Scotland fellow fan of stuff!
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Hi and mind the spider.:)
    chrispenycate

chrispenycate resident pedantissimo Staff Member

Yes, I found Florida too hot, and muggy. I just can't imagine hail from there; when it rained on us (Oh, yes, they'd warned us it would, and all the gear was under cover) it was tepid, hardly cooled you down at all. Perhaps it gets more comfortable in hurricane season?

Do they make cymbals in Florida? All mine are Swiss German, so have a funny accent. Actually, it's been so long since I did an acoustic drum kit, I've forgotten what numbers they are.

Welcome in. If you have any desire to maintain your sanity there's a box we recommend you store it in while you're here, just inside the entrance portal, kicked back under the counter; it used to be clearly visible, screwed to the wall and marked with its function. Now, well, if you're going to use it, please be careful; I suspect there's a family of blue tits nesting in it. They'll probably have very sane chicks.
    Uptheirons5150

I should revise that. I have to write an essay on Moliere and another essay comparing a similarity between Ibsen and Durrenmatt. Blargin', phlagin' plays.

All the welcomes are great! Thanks! :D

I am a general not-fan of Florida. I do enjoy heat, it brings a third dimension to working out when you are working out...outside. I just wish I got to experience some snow and general cold. The 30s and 40s just feel real nice to me.

@chrispenycate, As far as I know, there are no major cymbal manufactures within 500 miles of me. I want to say Hammerax Cymbals is in Orlando (2 hour drive north-northeast from me). They make some completely wicked cymbals (I would never use them though, as they are extremely expensive). By Swiss German are you refering to Paiste cymbals? Good pies from them, too, I personally use Zildjians.

@The Judge, cosy? Sounds weird to me. Do you say it differently, or is it just a soelling difference? I stress the "z" sound. Maybe it is because I am studying French... *Sigh* ... French...
    Yeah, French isn't my favorite subject. I have to ask: I have seen things fly around on Facebook and stuff like, "I wonder if the British go around mimicking American accents like the Americans mimic the British." Do you? I have asked some friends, and they kind of had a ridiculous face and simply said "no."

@The general public, I would love to write some (crazy stuff goes on up here *points to face*), but I simply do not have leisure time. The time writing this... Is break time. ;)
    Chaoticheart

Chaoticheart In chaos I find truth

Welcome, great taste in music :D

If you haven't heard them you should definitely check out Tesseract, Periphery and Vestascension. They're all progressive, but I do love me some folk metal as well (especially Alestorm's pirate metal :D)
    Uptheirons5150

@Chaoticheart, I have heard and like TesseracT. I'll add the other two to my on-going list to check out. I find it funny; Turisas has a song on their newest album entitled "Hunting Pirates." I've always thought the song was a specific stab at Alestorm because Vikings are cooler than pirates (the singer to Turisas knows crazy amounts of Viking history).

Thanks for the welcome!
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

Probably just spelling -- you favour using zeds (z) when we traditionally use esses (s). But we'd say ko-zie.

You mimic us? You mean like: "Lord luvvaduck, me old china, I'm orf up the apples and pears to get me whistle and flute, and then we're down the boozer to meet a few septics." Or "Oh, I say, old boy, top hole, and what about a nice snifter before luncheon? I hear cook is making spotted dick and jam roly-poly." Both are, of course, fully authentic.
    A. S. Behsam

A. S. Behsam I'm Aty :)

Hello there! :)
    Welcome. I hope you find this place as nice as I found it years ago... *wait, how old is this site?* No, I'm not a new member, no... oh, allllright.
    I'm new as well and you've come to the right place.
    I wish you luck. :)
    And I bet you can never defeat me in a Harry Potter quiz, NEVAH! *glares daringly*
    Nice choice BTW. LOTR I mean.
    Chaoticheart

You forgot to include the word bollocks somewhere in the discussion. So being the generous soul I am, Ive added it in the appropriate places.

And to add the greatest quote to ever originate in the UK, simply out of necessity: "Once upon a time, there was a lovely little sausage called Baldrick and it lived happily ever after."
    natalienoo

natalienoo SpecOps 27

I did the IB as well - it's the best thing you can do to yourself (although it does, indeed, suck for 2 years). It makes university an absolute breeze!

Good luck with your extended essay - I chose "How much of an impact did Tolkien's Lord of the Rings have on the fantasy genre since its publishing". Good you picked a subject you enjoy.. it'll get you the points as you'll be inspired to go all out.

Welcome, fellow newbie.
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Please, I've heard Americans trying to do a Scots accent.:eek:
    Chaoticheart

Liar. You've heard Americans trying to be Sean Connery. Of course as everyone knows, all Scotsmen are Sean Connery, so I suppose you were, technically, telling the truth :p
    Rosemary

Rosemary The Wicked Sword Maiden

Belated Greetings and Welcome to The Chronicles :)
    Dr.Jackson

Dr.Jackson Certified Space Monkey

A slightly late Hello and Welcome to the Chrons!