Just watched Game of Thrones episode 1

I thought the whitewalkers looked really cool. Didn't know hwat I was expecting but the image worked for me. I also enjoyed the direction in this 'prologue' scene, had a nice horror flavour too it which I suppose sets the whole 'Wall Scene' up nicely.

I mean come on, The Wall looked EPIC! :eek:

Nah I don't think so Mouse, just finished watching it on Sky and no real loving, got cut off before anything happened. I presume that might be next week...

Ah ok. I thought I was missing something!

LOL Mouse, I agree completely with you. Jaime ain't golden enough. Jon is hot and Joff is ugly, though well cast, cos he really looks like a spoiled little ****.

Oh, and thanks putting for the Victor Meldrew thing in my head. I'm really hoping that I forget that by next week, or everytime Tyrion opens his mouth, all I'm going to hear is "I don't belieeeve it" :p:D

Sorry about that!

Was no one else annoyed by Dinklage's accent? I thought it was a bit patchy at times.

Well I find Victor Meldrew somewhat annoying...

On the point of accents, it made me happy inside when I realised that the Northerners had Northern accents (led by Bean's fantastically gruff Yorkshire accent) and that those from the South had Southern accents (even if they were strained).

Yes, but the guy who escaped the wights (sp?) and got his head lopped off did sound like an extra from EastEnders. Although I can't remember if all the Watch people are Northerners or whether they come from all over.

A couple of things I didn't like: The opening titles. I see lots of people saying how awesome they were but for me they looked a little, well, daft. Like a board game.

And I didn't like the look of the dragon eggs. Scaly eggs? Really? (If they were written as scaly in the book then my bad.)

The sex has had one good impact - the girlfriend has decided to read them post-hast.

It gave mine another reason to complain. :)

She doesn't like the sexual violence in the books because she feels the female characters aren't given enough room to grow strong, and the nudity just annoyed her because it was plainly gratuitous.

Hope HBO tone it down soon otherwise am going to have to fight just to watch it together!

I did like Jaime, though every time I look at him, I think of the evil Handsome Prince from Shrek 2. :)

I did like Jaime, though every time I look at him, I think of the evil Handsome Prince from Shrek 2. :)

Thank you, now not only do we have Victor Meldrew going through our heads, I've got that in my head too....

I actually quite liked him as Jaime too.

The watch come from all over - thieves, rapists and disgraced sons of Lords from up and down Westeros. I think Samwell is from the South.

And I didn't like the look of the dragon eggs. Scaly eggs? Really? (If they were written as scaly in the book then my bad.)

AGoT (pg 104 in my edition) said:
The surface of the shell was covered with tiny scales ... they shimmered like polished metal in the let of the setting sun.

So yes, they are scaled, but I'm with you on the look of them - I imagined them to be scaled more like the skin of a lizard. The three eggs they've created look more like pine cones.

I've only seen the 15 minute preview so far (not having the fancy channel, I'll have to hunt it down on t'internet and watch it) but I liked what I saw. Wall definitely impressive. Others suitably creepy -- especially that girl one that suddenly popped up. I especially liked that things that would probably be over the top in other programmes aren't in this one -- the beheading being the part I'm thinking about. Slice, job done, nothing fancy about it.

Arya's character nicely shown already with the archery.

Looking forward to catching up with the rest.

I'd like to see the reaction of someone who hasn't read the books and didn't have someone who has read the books sitting there with them to explain it all. I tried to imagine not having read the books and I think it would have been too confusing to keep watching. Then again, all the nudity might have kept me interested. Just being honest here. Sex sells. So maybe the nudity was to help attract an audience that otherwise may not have stuck with it because it's so complicated.

Also, it's not like nudity on HBO is so shocking. Didn't Sex in the City have a ton of nudity as well?

Yes, but the guy who escaped the wights (sp?) and got his head lopped off did sound like an extra from EastEnders. Although I can't remember if all the Watch people are Northerners or whether they come from all over.)
They do come from all over Westeros. (I hope this doesn't constitute a spoiler. :))

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but isn't the BBC going to show it at some point?
There were rumours at the beginning that the BBC would be involved in the production, but this was either never in the plan or it came to nothing. Sky has purchased all HBO's output (including the complete back catalogue), so it's doubtful they'd want the BBC to show one of the most recent shows.

I don't know if perhaps BBC Northern Ireland was involved? they do seem to keep mentioning the programme.

So yes, they are scaled, but I'm with you on the look of them - I imagined them to be scaled more like the skin of a lizard. The three eggs they've created look more like pine cones.

Yeah, they looked a bit 'clunky' and I was sure they were supposed to be beautiful. Snake/lizard type delicate scaling would've been better.

They do come from all over Westeros. (I hope this doesn't constitute a spoiler. :))

Thought so.

Just watched the first episode and are left with a big "blah". This is it? Th is the series "everyone" was waiting for? I haven't read the books, but after this episode, I'm not going to either. We're talking an episode that lasted just over an hour, had loads of characters and yet I remember one name. I think. I mean that Sean Bean was Zed, Ed, Ned or something like that. Close enough for me. :p

Then again I hated the Lord of the Rings movies (too serious for their own good), the Narnia-movies (too... not sure, but too something) :p both Dungeons & Dragons movies and the Dragonlance-movie, so I guess it's not really possible to make a decent fantasy-movie or tv-series. Or at least it's very difficult.

I think the best would be to avoid taking itself too seriously, but allow us to have some fun with it without ruining the serious stuff. That's why some series work and some don't. I think.

Just watched the first episode and are left with a big "blah". This is it? Th is the series "everyone" was waiting for? I haven't read the books, but after this episode, I'm not going to either. We're talking an episode that lasted just over an hour, had loads of characters and yet I remember one name. I think. I mean that Sean Bean was Zed, Ed, Ned or something like that. Close enough for me. :p

Then again I hated the Lord of the Rings movies (too serious for their own good), the Narnia-movies (too... not sure, but too something) :p both Dungeons & Dragons movies and the Dragonlance-movie, so I guess it's not really possible to make a decent fantasy-movie or tv-series. Or at least it's very difficult.

I think the best would be to avoid taking itself too seriously, but allow us to have some fun with it without ruining the serious stuff. That's why some series work and some don't. I think.

It sounds as if this might not be the series for you. It requires paying attention and quite a bit of thinking about how various pieces fit together. GOT isn't going to be the kind of show you can listen to while, say, attending a raid in World of Warcraft.

Did you actually watch it, or just kinda half watched/listened to it as you were doing other things?

Oh good, it's not just me then - I think he's a dead ringer for Prince Charming!

(Not sure about the doggy-style sex scene - is the director obsessed with it or what???)

And yes, Mouse, I was briefly startled by Dinklage's Victor Meldrew accent before he emerged from the shadows to talk to Jon. I think it's because, as a Scot, Richard Wilson's English accent is quite formal, and Dinklage has picked up the same habit from his voice coach. Love the character, though, and I look forward to seeing more of Tyrion!

Slightly disappointed that Dany's wedding night was played more negative than in the book - but then in the book, GRRM seems to delight in building up the expectation that the chapter will end in rape, only to have Drogo being really quite gentle with his young bride. The TV version I guess simplifies this because of time constraints.

I look forward to Harry Lloyd going off on one as Viserys (and getting his just deserts), though his high-pitched whining is sometimes reminiscent of the wet bridegroom from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" :)

It will be interesting to see what my husband makes of it when I get the DVDs and watch it again (he's away this week), since he hasn't read the books. I suspect he will be in a similarly bemused position to the geek-boys' wives...

I look forward to Harry Lloyd going off on one as Viserys (and getting his just deserts), though his high-pitched whining is sometimes reminiscent of the wet bridegroom from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" :)

Brilliant. Now we've got Victor Meldrew and "But I want to... sing!" to get out of our heads before each episode. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, the odd moment where his voice does break does well to convey that, not only is he a child pretending to be King, but he can be quite childish in the things he does.

Interesting. I was wondering how people who had no background in the books would find it.
I'm not sure how they could take it less seriously - it's possibly the most serious fantasy you'll read and I still had a couple of giggles. It is a drama, there will be some humour but it's a bit difficult to acceptably sandwich comic relief in between incest and bloody horrible killing.

I thought most people found LotR (mainly Gimli) tried too hard to inject humour? As for decent though, whilst you may not like it, I think the money made and awards garnered by LotR say it definitely is possible.

I recently told a friend about the book/series and now he's caught in a pickle because he just finished reading the chapter in the beginning where Ned and Robert leave the crypts. With some serious waffling back and forth, finally giving in to temptation, he watched the first episode. After talking to him he was excited and at the same time bummed out that he witnessed a few spoilers. He thought everything was great and said he would continue reading/watching.

Overall, I thought it was cool. Jaimie looks a little weird without the long hair, and Cersie's hair isn't as full as i imagined. I was happy to see Drogo's long braid, as i didn’t notice it in the other previews. Tyrion could have used the mismatched eyes. (just things that wouldn't have been hard to include given the eloquent details in others)

I wonder how Bran will look as "Bran the Broken" as well as the whole Hodor carrying basket deal.

It gave mine another reason to complain. :)

She doesn't like the sexual violence in the books because she feels the female characters aren't given enough room to grow strong, and the nudity just annoyed her because it was plainly gratuitous.

Hope HBO tone it down soon otherwise am going to have to fight just to watch it together!

Yeah it was overdone, I'm hoping this is just a first episode thing. In the books though I really don't have a problem with it, in fact I'd forgotten that most of that went on.

On the Eastenders extra thing - that character is a Royce (I think) and therefore from the Vale - East of Westeros...

Coincidence - I think not ;)

Interesting. I was wondering how people who had no background in the books would find it.
I'm not sure how they could take it less seriously - it's possibly the most serious fantasy you'll read and I still had a couple of giggles. It is a drama, there will be some humour but it's a bit difficult to acceptably sandwich comic relief in between incest and bloody horrible killing.

I thought most people found LotR (mainly Gimli) tried too hard to inject humour? As for decent though, whilst you may not like it, I think the money made and awards garnered by LotR say it definitely is possible.

I obviously can't say much without injecting spoilers even though they are general ones. There are funny moments, great wit on the part of some of the characters, but if people want comedy they should watch South Park. The books are as serious as a heart attack and the series should be as well. There will be enough people watching it the way it is to have to pander to anyone who needs it dumbed down or yucked with with fake comedy.

I haven't read the books but I plan on reading them in the near future.

I really enjoyed the first episode and it held my attention throughout. I usually dip into a book while watching TV but I gave my full attention to the pilot. Also, I'd read in several places that there are many characters in a complex world so I felt it best to pay close attention.

IMO, they balanced introducing the world and the characters, with a few scenes where stuff actually happened.

Another plus is that the children are not portrayed as either annoying brats or sickly sweet little angels. Sansa is annoying but in a good way - she's petulant, always conscious of her appearance and seems to like being the "good girl". She seems real. Arya is cute and fierce and I like her. Bran is a charming little boy. I had trouble telling Jon apart from at least one of his half-brothers. In fact, all those brothers looked alike to me.

Jason Momoa is startlingly handsome and, for now anyway, I'm happy just to look at him. Danaerys is stunning and I felt so sorry for her that she has that creepy brother. Speaking of which, Harry Lloyd must be part chameleon! He looks radically different from when he played Son of Mine on Doctor Who. Also, he's a very talented actor and I think he'll be one of those characters I love to hate.