The Jack Vance thread

Only read 1st 3 of "Dying World". Got "Rhialto" lined up. Will def. read more. What's the best to go for next? Lyonnesse, Demon Princes or ... ?
a

Tales of a Dying Earth and Lyonesse would be my two....both available through the Masterwork series. Demon Princess series I own but only dabbled in to date but I'm sure they're very good.

I haven't read "Demon Princes" but the "Lyonesse" trilogy is, to date, my favourite books by this author.

Fried - what do you make of the third book, as compared with the first two?
My recollections of the trilogy that I finished about three years ago now are that they are all of a high standard. I do recall that the last volume felt a little too slow in the middle while the ending felt almost rushed. Minor criticisms really and nothing to detract from my overall view that together they form a masterpiece of fantasy.

FE have you read Demon Princes books or Planet of Adventure ?

They are imo stronger than the stand alone novels you have read that i have read too.

My choice for new readers will always be Planet of Adventure series before Demon Princes. Sheer world building, alien cultures wise its his best work and best i have seen in that standard when it comes to SF works.

His mystery BAD RONALD was made into a respectable tv movie.

Have you read Bad Ronald ?

I just got it and Deadly Isles, Man in the Cage in Dangerous Ways omnibus.

Bad Ronald or Man in the Cage is my next read of him. I sampled them and his prose is more like classic mystery than style i know so well from his SF,Fantasy.

It freaked me out, Vance writing like a normal mystery writer with straight forward prose:eek:

No, I haven't.

Well you should if i have read you right and you like SF as much you like to read good,great fantasy.

Most Vance series are SF and those two series are the best of his in that field. Other than the short stories of course.

They are the reason i have not read Lyonesse yet, i was sweeped away in those weird worlds of his in Gaen space, Beyond.

I will do at some point, I'm sure. For the immediate future though, I want to concentrate on reading what's left of his to read in the SF/Fantasy Masterworks series so I plan to read "Emphyrio" and the last three books of "Dying Earth".

I will do at some point, I'm sure. For the immediate future though, I want to concentrate on reading what's left of his to read in the SF/Fantasy Masterworks series so I plan to read "Emphyrio" and the last three books of "Dying Earth".

You havent even finished Dying Earth ?

Dont tell me you only read the first book DE and not Cugel, Rhialto books. No wonder you dont talk highly of Dying Earth series ;)

Emphyrio was my first Vance and its special for me but it and Blue World cant compare to Demon Princes, Planet of Adventure. Thats why i recommended those series to you.

SFF Masterworks series is just cheap way to get Vance for me. His best works is not in SF/Fantasy works other than Lyonesee/DE. According to the fans atleast. The short stories, the SF novels.