The Voyage of Sable Keech

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
I couldn't see a thread on this, so i thought that i'd start one. I just finished the Skinner and am now onto the Voyage of Sable Keech.

I must say that i do like the cover. :)

Attachments

• asher-voyage_sable_keech.jpg
    asher-voyage_sable_keech.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 439
I've just finished this now. I didn't enjoy it as much as the SKinner, but it was still a great read. I must admit that i loved Vrell's story so i'm really looking forward to continuing his story in Orbus. (I do hope Sniper's in there too. :) ) I really enjoyed the idea of Welkus Titanicus being on the cusp of intelligence and was a bit disappointed with how her story in the book ended. Perhaps it was an allegory as to how we are all slaves to our instincts. I don't know.

I've quite enjoyed the little sub-chapters at the start of each chapter. (This one had a little bit about the flora and fauna of Spatterjay and the Skinner was all about the food chain on Spatterjay. All quite interesting.)

Anyway Mr. Asher, you've converted me. I am now a fan. :)

I'm about halfway through. But I've already picked up a copy of Orbus, just to be prepared.;)

Finished. Despite being quite lengthy, I found this to be an absorbing and entertaining read. A profusion of fascinating characters and a complex set of plots and sub-plots ensured my interest. Next up: Orbus.

I read the prologue of this on the tube this morning. Would've read more except the person next to me seemed intent on stabbing me with his elbow at every given opportunity :rolleyes:

I enjoyed The Skinner a lot, so looking forward to this :)

Yeah, i think that this one was the weakest of the three. Orbus is superb.

I thoroughly enjoyed it :) Thought it took a little while to get going, but once it did it was tremendous fun. Have bought Orbus (and Cowl) but have dived straight in to Prador Moon.

No offense Bugg but that seems a slightly odd reading order ;)
None taken! I know I'm reading them in the wrong order - something I wouldn't normally do, admittedly. Thing is, The Skinner was my first Asher, bought purely on a whim, and I just fancied reading Prador Moon next as it's short - I didn't think it would matter as it's a standalone (same for Cowl). Thoroughly enjoying it. I'll read Orbus next to finish the Spatterjay series, then at some point read the Cormac novels in order.

Have I really stuffed it up?

Sorry I missed your reply and question there Bugg :eek:

No it doesn't matter and probably good to get Prador Moon read as it is farily key background history to the same world.

Sniper rocks! Lets load a bit of attitude! :)

This was actually the first Asher book I read some years ago from the library shortly after it was published. I hadn't read any other Polity books previously, not even the Skinner and to be honest I'm surprised I didn't give up in confusion on that first read. Not that I'm saying anything against the book - I've just finished it again and think it excellent, but let's face it diving into the second Spatterjay book without any background was, looking back, pretty crazy! :eek:

I find it interesting that I found both this and the Skinner quite difficult books to get started into, certainly harder than other Asher books, but by the end of each I would rate these two books as the best Asher books I've read so far. I wonder if it's because the Spatterjay world is so bizarre that the books need quite a lot of heavy world building at the start. But once that's over they are both fascinating and rewarding reads.

Looking forward to Orbus, which will be my next Ploity read.

By the by, just out of curiosity why didn't Tor take up Line of Polity? Seems to me that it leaves the Americans with a bit of a hole in the Cormac story arc.