Please tell me I am...

So, so, so happy.

Am I really the first one to post this?

Am I going insane?

Please tell me I'm not...

Am I awake?

Please tell me I am...

So, so, so happy.

You were posted as the winner of the pick the date contest well over a week ago :)

If you're just finding this out, yes, it's real, although the book isn't being called "done" yet.

I just saw this on the official site today. Between this news and the trailers for Game of Thrones on the television, I am completely beside myself with excitement. I was beginning to forget how great this series is.

Time for a re-read.

Yup, I'm planning a re-read too. I read Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings a couple of months back, so I'm going to read the two Storm of Swords books, one in April and one in May, then Feast for Crows in June, ready for Dance with Dragons in July. I want to drag out that sense of anticipation as long as I possibly can!

Not that I'm a sceptic or anything, but I'm going to have to be actually holding its own little carrier bag, with a receipt tucked inside the front cover, before I get all excited...

Not that I'm a sceptic or anything, but I'm going to have to be actually holding its own little carrier bag, with a receipt tucked inside the front cover, before I get all excited...

Quality! The constant delays, false dawns and the consequent public battering Martin received made me forget how amazing this series truly is. I am really excited about this series again with 2011 looking pretty awesome. I just pray this book is released this year.

Py, you and I are in the same club.

Skeptics Unite!

Py, you and I are in the same club.

Skeptics Unite!

I'll take you all one further and say I'll consider it done when I see book 7 on the shelves with him announcing he will never pick up the series again, hehe. No never-ending stories for this guy!

But I hope it kicks butts because I intend to finish when he does.

Hmm. A book that isn't finished will be published in a couple of months?

Hmm.

This isn't the "dark ages" wshen typsetting actually meant doing just that, and once the letts were really set and the pages completed, that was it. Back then, you really had to be finished when you said you were becuase there were no changes to be made. Given that typsetting is done digitally now, on computers, that's no longer a condieration. GRRM isn't the first author to call a book done and have a pulbication date but is still actively making changes while the publication process is moving forward.

I think all of the book is at the editor's, and probably being "typeset" as we discuss this. I suspect GRRM has to tidy up some smalle details, maybe do some other minor work. The book could probably be published "as is".

Being able to announce a firm publication date without the author thinking it is actually done is an interesting quirk of the computer/electronic age. GRRM will have a firm deadline, maybe around April 12th, at which point the book will, in fact, be done, and i guess he COULD "take it back", but the ramifications of him doing that are dire enough that i don't think he'd dare to.

Completion date of A Storm of Swords: April 25, 2000.
Publication date of A Storm of Swords: July 24, 2000 (in the UK).

So yeah, more than achievable.

And that was when the series had sold maybe a tenth of the copies it has now ;)

Plus, GRRM's editor with the mostly-completed manuscript:

Anne-Groell-with-ADWD-ms-300x225.jpg

As of right now, A Dance with Dragons is about 98% complete, the book's been copy and line-edited already, it's already been typeset, the maps are done, the appendices are done, the covers are ready etc. It'll likely be the work of a couple of days to put the last couple of chapters into the same order, integrate with the rest of the book, finalise it and send it off to the printers. In fact, GRRM probably still has until the end of April to finish off the last couple of chapters and send them off (though no doubt the publishers would prefer it if he didn't cut it that fine.

Being able to announce a firm publication date without the author thinking it is actually done is an interesting quirk of the computer/electronic age. GRRM will have a firm deadline, maybe around April 12th, at which point the book will, in fact, be done, and i guess he COULD "take it back", but the ramifications of him doing that are dire enough that i don't think he'd dare to.

Yes, but...it's still hard not to get the feeling that we'll end up with a "rush job" if you'll appreciate the irony considering how long the book has been delayed - of DwD being released before GRRM is entirely happy with it and potentially causing a few issues for later plot development and completion later on.

So yesterday I found out that the RRP of Dance with Dragons is £25. I don't care how long you've been waiting for a book or how long it is, that is a rip off, even with the inevitable half-price offer on release.

So yesterday I found out that the RRP of Dance with Dragons is £25. I don't care how long you've been waiting for a book or how long it is, that is a rip off, even with the inevitable half-price offer on release.
The Amazon.com US price is $18.90 ($35 list price) for the hardcover book

I just checked the New York TImes bestseller list and found an average price of $27 for the top 15 books. Given the length of ADWD; it's easilt going to be 3 times the size of the average hardcover fiction book, maybe more, i'd call it a bargain at about 33% more.

Of course, if you feel it's a rip off you can take it out of the library when they get it, or wait for the paperback edition, or borrow it, or...gasp....not read it :D

Paperbacks for me. Even if there's two volumes, it's still gonna be significantly cheaper than the discounted hardback (which looks like it will have £10 off maximum from the stores I've checked so far). It's not like the extra 9 months will be a significant increase in the wait since the last book ;)