Pugmire in F&SF

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by dask, Mar 11, 2011.

dask

dask dark and stormy knight

Wilum Pugmire has cowritten a story with several others in the current issue of F&SF (March/April). Just thought you'd like to know.
    Tinsel

Tinsel Science fiction fantasy

I can only find older issues, searching for "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction" on the Sony Reader Store, otherwise I'd buy a copy.
    J-WO

J-WO Pretentious Avatar Alert.

Great stuff!
    J Riff

J Riff The Ants are my friends..

WTG!
    Will scour the newstands and see if I can pilf-er, pick up a copy!
    What's the story and who are the co-conspirators?
    dask

dask dark and stormy knight

If I make it back to B&N this week I'll jot it down. Didn't buy the mag myself unfortunately.
    w h pugmire esq

w h pugmire esq Member

Now try and figure out which part of the Lovecraftian round-robin is my writing! I think my style is slightly evident. It was such a fun project, to write 1,000 words for a Lovecraftian round-robin. And I have always wanted to sell to F&SF!

Just posted a new blog -- but it's mostly just babble about my new books.
    Tinsel

Tinsel Science fiction fantasy

I wonder how someone is able to accomplish a Lovecraftian round robin, but that is a good subject at least for a basis for something like short story writing. It seems to me that it would be easier to talk about Lovecraft, than to try and emulate his writing style. Imagine a round robin, where each Lovecraftian wrote a full length short story. Now that would be something to see.
    w h pugmire esq

w h pugmire esq Member

The idea was inspir'd by ye round robin story that Stanley Weinbaum commissioned for Beyond -- the story was called "The Challenge from Beyond" and its authors were H. P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, Frank Belknap Long, C. L. Moore (of whom I need to learn more, I think she might have been fascinating and a brilliant writer), and A. Merritt. Writes S. T. Joshi in Vol. II of I Am Providence:

"Notes to Lovecraft's segment survive and make interesting reading -- if only for the amusing drawings of the alien entities he introduces into the tale (giant worm- or centipede-like creatures) and for the clear borrowings he has made from the plot of 'The Shadow out of Time.' For this segment of 'The Challenge from Beyond' is nothing more than an adaptation of the central conception of that story -- mind exchange. Here the exchange is effected by the cubes, which draw the mind of anyone who looks into it and flings it back to the transgalatic world of the centipede creatures, where it is somehow housed in a machine; by the reverse method one of the centipedes casts his mind into the body of the mind so captured."

Lovecraft's notes and drawings of ye centipede creatures are to be found in the delightful fifth volume of HPL's Collected Essays: Philosophy, Autobiography & Miscellany.

Our story is called "Night Gauntlet" and its authors are Walter C. DeBill Jr., Richard Gavin, Robert M. Price, Jeffrey Thomas, Don Webb and Ye Queen of Eldritch Horror. Ia!
    John Thiel

John Thiel John Thiel

Seems to me I started this topic, now I'm not on it. I know I rushed over to the Forum Pugmire was on to give the news when I saw the issue. Maybe wha hoppen was I found the news already posted and in my dismay at not being the one to give the news didn't even add a comment. If so, I owe Wilum a congratulations, may I express it here and now. Just another example of getting some pro status.