XP MBR Error

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Highlander II, Mar 10, 2011.

Highlander II

Highlander II There can be only one!! Staff Member

So, my question is - is there a way to run the 'fixmbr' command while Windows XP is running?

I ask b/c I don't know that my system boots into a recovery mode... or that I have the right disc to make it do so. I have the Recovery disks that I made when I first bought the machine, but don't know if that will let me get to a place to run the 'fixmbr' command.

Anyone know if it does? Or if I can run the fix while 'inside' Windows?

Yes... stupid machine went 'oh noes! there is a boot record error! fail!' and I've restored to factory settings... omg so so annoying... but it still has that error. *sigh*

** is lucky all pertinent data is stored on an external **
    Cayal

Cayal The Immortal Prince

I don't know if this will help but it says you can run it in Recovery console:

Master Boot Record - How To Repair the Master Boot Record In Windows XP - Fixmbr

Running in DOS (Command Prompt)

http://www.computerhope.com/fixmbr.htm
    Highlander II

Yeah - I looked at that first one, but my recovery console doesn't come up that way. I don't have the options that they display... I have the option to 'restore' (factory settings) or something else, that I don't remember... but nothing as far as getting to a DOS prompt to enter the 'fixmbr' command.

The 2nd link is little help b/c it assumes that you have the XP installation CD - which I don't. I have the recovery disks that I made when I got the machine, but that does the same as the recovery console.
    Highlander II

Okay, so, turns out that the MBR error was a result of the machine making grand attempts to boot off the graphics card in the PCI slot. No, I have no idea how that happened, only that my sister's friend had to poke the BIOS to fix it.

However, I now have a NEW problem - I can't use the graphics card for its intended purpose B/C the machine tries to boot from it if I restart the machine.

Anyone know how to solve that one?

The graphics card works... but I don't know how to keep the machine from trying to boot the mini-harddrive on the card rather than the main harddrive on the machine.
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Have you tried going into the BIOS and selecting the big hard drive to boot first ?
    Highlander II

Yeah - that's what my sis's friend did.

However - as it turns out, that's not the actual problem. B/c I removed the graphics card and it's *still* giving me the MBR error.

So, I think imma take it to some Tech guys who will clean it up and make it all shiny again... =) Or - as shiny as a 7y/o PC can be.
    Highlander II

Well, by process of elimination (having not restarted it since coming to this potential conclusion) - I believe the MBR error is coming from the xternal harddrive...

no idea why the thing is trying to boot off the external - i never changed anything in the BIOS to *tell* it to do that, but it obviously got that idea in it's head somewhere...

tech-guy played with the BIOS and it may be reset correctly now - though, not sure since I didn't have the xHD w/ me at the time, so we'll have to see when I reboot later.