Are they ready?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Tinsel, Mar 1, 2011.

Tinsel

Tinsel Science fiction fantasy

Star Wars is an old movie, and so is Star Trek. This should mean that there would now be space ships just like what is depicted in these movies since the technology would have evolved in that length of time. So what happened to space travel? Who is responsible!

I am telling you that I am very disappointed, unless the ships are being withheld from the public. Well it starting to become hard to believe in Science.
    Starbeast

Starbeast Benevolent Galaxy Being

I've felt the same way for a long time. I believe we won't see personal affordable flying craft in our life time, we're stuck with gas burning cars. The U.S. along with car manufacturors and oil companies don't want us to have that technology because they can make quick money off of us with current car technology. They try to make us happy by making the cars look good with great sound systems and expensive extras.

And you can forget about seeing affordable space travel for everybody in our life time too, that probably won't happen for a few hundred years (maybe more), if Humans are still alive.
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

What do you mean, are they ready?

I've already got mine on order with UK "11" license plates available from today.
    SKYCAR SPECS

[​IMG]
    J Riff

J Riff The Ants are my friends..

The entire national budget for the USA, for ten years- would be enough to accelerate a 10,000 lb. ship to 0.1 of C (light speed).
    That's a small, tiny ship. It may overheat before we could escape the solar system.

Attached Files:

ZombiezuRFER

ZombiezuRFER New Member

DIY spaceships are the only way to go...
    Tinsel

Then the city of Coruscant is our Utopia? Yes, the speed of light is the point of stasis? Somehow I want to know how much more education can tolerate, the speed of light.

I also wonder what will happen if we stopped believing in Einstein for the sake of progress, if it is true that the Universe is an illusion representative of our own capacity.

What would make more sense than to relive the past, while knowing what we now know? Please don't let the cave people live in bondage, for how can it be that discovery has ended and our only future lies in returning to the past.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
    Starbeast

Starbeast Benevolent Galaxy Being

How much do they cost?

How much does fuel and maint. cost?

How much does a pilot license cost along with flying lessons?

How much does it cost for storage?

How safe is it?

How far can you travel with it?
    ZombiezuRFER

ZombiezuRFER New Member

Actually, there are affordable aircraft that can be for personal use. They're called Ultralights, some of them have hang-glider esque steering, others more conventional yolks.
    Deathpool

Deathpool Science fiction fantasy

Relativity has never been disproven. I read an article on the internet where the person claimed proof against relativity, but the theorie they mentioned had at least one flaw. The first time I read relativity I was able to visualize it in my head. If my revisions to relativity is correct there is a way to go faster than light. That's done by harnessing the force that binds the dimensions of time, space. I came to the conclusion that there must be a force binding the dimensions of time, space. I wrote it up when I was about sixteen. I scrapped though because I thought it was crazy now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I was wrong to scrap it. In normal conditions though nothing can go faster than light. Image if gravity went faster than light. Light takes eight minutes to reach Earth. Given that if gravity went faster than light the gravity that was on its way run out before the light that was on it's way. What would happen is the Earth would fly out of orbit yet we'd still be seeing the Sun shining. Remember the light is traveling slower than the gravity. I could explain more, but my post is a bit big.
    J Riff

J Riff The Ants are my friends..

We're stuck with the laws of physics for the moment, except for in SF of course.
    Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

As J Riff says the real problem is cost. Space exploration is horrendously expensive and the current feeling is that that money is better directed towards getting our own planiet in order and feeding our own starving population.

I have no doubt that space travel will eventually become profitable, as we start mining the resources out there. But the cost of getting to that point is currently prohibitive.

Yes independent efforts like Virgin are moving forward and I have no doubt will form the foundation for commercial space travel, but the current plans are only for very expensive tourist trips for very rich people and to be honest the planned trips will barely be making into "real" space.

We will get there eventually it's just going to take longer than the optimists have always wanted.

Also I should point out that just because an SF film proposed some technology a long time ago it doesn't mean that it will necessarily ever come to be. We have always been notoriously bad at predicting future technologies. Somethings advance far faster than we expect, others far slower. Computing is advancing far faster than was originally expected and yet AI is as elusive as ever. Asimov predicted things like computers and robots but completely missed digital photography; in The Caves of Steel (IIRC) a crucial part of the plot is the fogging of photographic film by radiation.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    Dave

I just want to reiterate what Vertigo just said. Here are some examples:
    1950 Predictions for the Year 2000
    Predictions 1950
    Miracles You’ll See In The Next Fifty Years
    30 Failed Technology Predictions

Quite frankly, I'm glad I'm not eating food made from sawdust, but weather control would have been nice. Substitute Internet for TV and many of the other predictions are correct. We have the unmanned surveillance satellites, but the few manned space flights are largely a question of the cost versus the benefits, and not an absence of the technology.
    Perpetual Man

Perpetual Man Former Comment Giver

Like so many others of us I've often wondered the same thing. Even on a basic level the technology is there - we went to the moon in 1969.

As has already said the root of the problem is money, which as is often said, is the root of all evil (!)

Our society is so economy-centric that actually doing anything that is worthwhile but costs an awful lot of money is out of the question.

So it makes me wonder if there is going to be any forward movement in our (lack of) progress into space, whether it is going to come from the private sector as opposed to the political one
    Tinsel

The problem must have something to do with not being able to convert mass into energy. If that was possible than a whole bunch of new experiments would start up, but than another problem exists, and that is, where would we travel in space since the Earth is the only hospitable planet that we know of. We could live on space ships if we had enough energy.
    Dave

Tinsel - the problem with acceleration at any fraction of the speed of light is E = Mc²

As you approach light speed your Mass increases and your length decreases. Time slows down. The energy required to go faster approaches infinity.

You can choose not to believe in Relativity if you wish, but the mathematics behind it doesn't have a choice and is pretty conclusive. I don't think Einstein meant to spoilt your party intentionally.

If we are to travel beyond our Solar System it will either take many generations in so called 'generational ships', or in suspended animation, or else we will discover some way to Warp the space-time continuum. The latter is not so far fetched because we live in a multi-dimensioned universe.

Imagine you are an ant and live on the surface of an inflated balloon. To you your universe exists in two dimensions. You can walk up, down, left or right. But if you continue in one direction you return to your original position, so you know that it isn't flat. But it could equally be a Mobius Strip. To us the universe is three dimensional, but it isn't three dimensioned in reality and we have little concept yet of how we could exploit that.
    IainRichmond

IainRichmond New Member

PERSONAL THEORY:
    If HUMANITY was at peace, we could focus TRILLIONS of dollars towards noble deeds (curing poverty, hunger, disease, etc.) and adventurous beginnings such as human space exploration

If the Dalia Lama ruled the world for a few centuries we could have our Captain Kirk's and Princess Leia's.
    paranoid marvin

paranoid marvin Run VT Erroll!

I'm still waiting for my nuclear-powered vacuum cleaner.

That , and my hoverboard.
    paranoid marvin

paranoid marvin Run VT Erroll!

If we had a (non-nuclear/biological) Third World War , tecnology would move on more in that period than in the next 50 years. It's ironical that i is peace that makes us technologically stagnant.
    Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

Yes I've always thought it a sad fact that for the most part we seem to need war to achieve greatness. Not a very complimentary reflection on mankind but there you go.
    Tinsel

What again is calculus based on? I know that it is used in relativity theory. Don't they graph continuity, and what does that analysis account for? Is it related to E = MC^2 (of course C is the speed of light)?