Lovecraft Leatherbound Edition

It says that it is the complete works, but it does not look exceptional enough although the price would suggest differently.

Now this old Hippopotamus skin, it has an antediluvian look. The text is all penned in calligraphy.

Anybody here have this? H.P. Lovecraft, Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics Series, H. P. Lovecraft, (9781435122963) Hardcover - Barnes & Noble

If so, could you please give me any feedback on it? Despite the leather binding, does it improve upon the previous release by B&N? Joshi's name is attached so I assume he has aided in this project.

That's probably because he was involved in the making of the original. This is a reprint, only a bit flashier.

I hope the errors are corrected.
You probably need to have that checked before ordering.

I've just ordered it, so if there is no trouble with my credit card (it works at Amazon but hasn't been at Abe's), I will do a full review of the book here and on video at YouTube. Despite the many woeful errors, I still love this edition of the Works and often find myself dipping into it, with Martin's printed-out corrections close at hand.

Wow that looks beautiful. Is this the oft-promised Second Edition?

Wow that looks beautiful. Is this the oft-promised Second Edition?

No, the Leatherbound Classics edition. I'm not sure, though, that there was time in the production to make the corrections. Someone better situated (ie., on the right -- and in this case "right" means "left" :) -- side of the Pond) needs to do the checking.

No, the Leatherbound Classics edition. I'm not sure, though, that there was time in the production to make the corrections. Someone better situated (ie., on the right -- and in this case "right" means "left" :) -- side of the Pond) needs to do the checking.

Absolutely no corrections have been made. It is now called The Complete Fiction -- but it's a straight reprint of the first edition. The endpapers have a lovely illustration. The cover illustration is very boring. I shew'd it on my YouTube channel in a vlog entitl'd "Lovecraft in Leather."

Absolutely no corrections have been made. It is now called The Complete Fiction -- but it's a straight reprint of the first edition. The endpapers have a lovely illustration. The cover illustration is very boring. I shew'd it on my YouTube channel in a vlog entitl'd "Lovecraft in Leather."
I just confirmed this today at my local Barnes & Noble. Armed with Martin's errata, I asked a young lady at the reference counter if the shrinkwrap could be removed so I could examine it, which she gladly allowed. Sure enough, it's exactly the same print as the earlier Barnes & Noble edition, just bound in leather and with the endpapers that Wilum mentioned. Pass.

Donovan K. Loucks
Webmaster, The H.P. Lovecraft Archive

Crap. I was really hoping to get this for my collection, but no corrections, no need for purchase.

Crap. I was really hoping to get this for my collection, but no corrections, no need for purchase.

I've been told that corrections are being entered into the text, so unless there is very high demands and they have to rush back to the printers (in which case the same ol' text will be reprinted AGAIN!), the corrections will finally appear in late 2011, early 2012.

Hopefully they'll simply distinguish the corrected edition somehow.

Hopefully they'll simply distinguish the corrected edition somehow.

They will. :)

Here's what I just heard from Stefan at B&N:

Good news--our leatherbound edition of H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction is going back to press this fall, and it will incorporate all of the corrections.

and

Tell folks they'll be able to distinguish the edition with the corrected texts from the current version easily: it will have an acknowledgment on the copyright page thanking Martin Andersson for his assistance in preparing the texts.

That's wonderful news indeed :). But how would that work for someone who orders it online? Would it be possible for them to state it within the item page that this has the corrected texts?

That's wonderful news indeed :). But how would that work for someone who orders it online? Would it be possible for them to state it within the item page that this has the corrected texts?

I have no idea... :(

Yes! Finally! And congratulations, Martin! I think they'd get many more sales if they put a notice on the cover, something like "Complete and Corrected Texts", or "The Authoritative Edition". Now to think what to do with the first edition...

I've been told that corrections are being entered into the text, so unless there is very high demands and they have to rush back to the printers (in which case the same ol' text will be reprinted AGAIN!), the corrections will finally appear in late 2011, early 2012.

Amazon and several wholesalers list "The Fiction" with a release date of July 1st. Will that already be the corrected version, or do they just guess?

Amazon and several wholesalers list "The Fiction" with a release date of July 1st. Will that already be the corrected version, or do they just guess?

They are referring to the Leatherbound Edition in general, not the corrected printing, and they've got the date wrong since the book is already out.

Fall, is what I've heard from the editor.

They are referring to the Leatherbound Edition in general, not the corrected printing, and they've got the date wrong since the book is already out.

Fall, is what I've heard from the editor.

Any news on this corrected printing? I would love to replace my Del Rey paperbacks. I never liked the look of those things, not to mention having to buy so many of them to get almost everything...