Lovecraft Leatherbound Edition

Discussion in 'H P Lovecraft' started by Wolf873, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Wolf873

Wolf873 New Member

2. Tinsel

Tinsel Science fiction fantasy

It says that it is the complete works, but it does not look exceptional enough although the price would suggest differently.

Now this old Hippopotamus skin, it has an antediluvian look. The text is all penned in calligraphy.
  3. Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

That's probably because he was involved in the making of the original. This is a reprint, only a bit flashier.

You probably need to have that checked before ordering.
  4. Wolf873

Wolf873 New Member

I was hoping for anyone here to shed some light on that :).
  5. Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

Can't really do that, I'm sorry to say.
  6. w h pugmire esq

w h pugmire esq Member

I've just ordered it, so if there is no trouble with my credit card (it works at Amazon but hasn't been at Abe's), I will do a full review of the book here and on video at YouTube. Despite the many woeful errors, I still love this edition of the Works and often find myself dipping into it, with Martin's printed-out corrections close at hand.
  7. pablo

pablo Member

Wow that looks beautiful. Is this the oft-promised Second Edition?
  8. Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

No, the Leatherbound Classics edition. I'm not sure, though, that there was time in the production to make the corrections. Someone better situated (ie., on the right -- and in this case "right" means "left" :) -- side of the Pond) needs to do the checking.
  9. w h pugmire esq

w h pugmire esq Member

Absolutely no corrections have been made. It is now called The Complete Fiction -- but it's a straight reprint of the first edition. The endpapers have a lovely illustration. The cover illustration is very boring. I shew'd it on my YouTube channel in a vlog entitl'd "Lovecraft in Leather."
  10. DonovanLoucks

DonovanLoucks New Member

I just confirmed this today at my local Barnes & Noble. Armed with Martin's errata, I asked a young lady at the reference counter if the shrinkwrap could be removed so I could examine it, which she gladly allowed. Sure enough, it's exactly the same print as the earlier Barnes & Noble edition, just bound in leather and with the endpapers that Wilum mentioned. Pass.

Donovan K. Loucks
    Webmaster, The H.P. Lovecraft Archive
  11. Wolf873

Wolf873 New Member

Crap. I was really hoping to get this for my collection, but no corrections, no need for purchase.
  12. Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

I've been told that corrections are being entered into the text, so unless there is very high demands and they have to rush back to the printers (in which case the same ol' text will be reprinted AGAIN!), the corrections will finally appear in late 2011, early 2012.
  13. pablo

pablo Member

Hopefully they'll simply distinguish the corrected edition somehow.
  14. Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

They will. :)

Here's what I just heard from Stefan at B&N:

and

15. Wolf873

Wolf873 New Member

That's wonderful news indeed :). But how would that work for someone who orders it online? Would it be possible for them to state it within the item page that this has the corrected texts?
  16. Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

I have no idea... :(
  17. pablo

pablo Member

Yes! Finally! And congratulations, Martin! I think they'd get many more sales if they put a notice on the cover, something like "Complete and Corrected Texts", or "The Authoritative Edition". Now to think what to do with the first edition...
  18. golem09

golem09 New Member

Amazon and several wholesalers list "The Fiction" with a release date of July 1st. Will that already be the corrected version, or do they just guess?
  19. Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

They are referring to the Leatherbound Edition in general, not the corrected printing, and they've got the date wrong since the book is already out.

Fall, is what I've heard from the editor.
  20. Gregorian71

Gregorian71 New Member

Any news on this corrected printing? I would love to replace my Del Rey paperbacks. I never liked the look of those things, not to mention having to buy so many of them to get almost everything...