Android smart phone users: a decent doc editor

kopiteste

If anyone is looking for a decent document editor to do some writing on the move, get a googledocs account and download GDocs from the market. It is the only decent app I've found that will allow editing because all the others, OpenOffice etc, only allow viewing. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link so if not, I'll remove it ASAP.

Download GDocs to your Android phone

This isn't advertisement either, I just got fed up of having to write pen and paper, or onto a notebook app when I had downtime in work and then manually copying my work into my Word docs at home. This software autosyncs with googledocs so all you have to do is download the .doc(x) file and replace the original. I thought there may be other writers out there with the same problem so I thought I'd give my solution.

I use ThinkFree, which came with my Samsung Galaxy S. It allows you to edit and create docs as well as view them. I might check out GDocs to see how it compares, though.

Seems like a good little App, thanks kopiteste!

It'll take me a little while to get used to it, but could come in very handy!

I doubt it would work on an iPod touch, but I'm sure there is something similar out there. ThinkFree looks to be the same kind of software.
The advantage with GDocs is that it will sync with googledocs which has online editing capabilities too so if you are at a machine without office you can still work on your stuff.
I'm glad I can now use my downtime in work to do some writing.

I’m saving up for an I-pad, got lots of note books lying around and somehow they manage to hide when I really need them. Pesky buggars. Perhaps technology will have more trouble hiding from me seeing as I can call the I-pad and it should make a sound. (And it looks like a device from Star Trek)

Yes, that’s why I’m saving up for it. Though technological thingamajigs usually never become friends with me, a little ironic really, being a sci-fy freak and all. But I do use quite a bit of money on notebooks. Hopefully it will pay for itself in the long run...hopefully.

Yes, that’s why I’m saving up for it. Though technological thingamajigs usually never become friends with me, a little ironic really, being a sci-fy freak and all. But I do use quite a bit of money on notebooks. Hopefully it will pay for itself in the long run...hopefully.

Besides, who knows what hands my misplaced notebooks might fall into. My oldest son could accidentally read something like: Blood seeped out of a large gash in his forehead, the eyes were clawed out and worms writhed out of his mouth. Or worse! : He threw her down on the bed and ripped her clothes of then he SENSURED until she screamed with pleasure at SENSURED and the sheep bleated while SENSURED she took the SENSURED and SENSURED into SENSURED. Well you get the point. I can have a password on the I-pad. It will be worth the money.

I feel I have strayed from the original purpose of the thread. Sorry :)

I would have thought being a business mobile phone it should already come equipped with stuff like this?

It comes pre-configured with a trial WP and spreadsheet. As is usual with these things you can't save any files and have to purchase the full-blown version.

This may be a little late (Seeing as this thread is a month old), but try looking at Dropbox as well. It's an online storage service that you can access from anywhere, which autosyncs with your folder at home. Means you can access any of your work from anywhere. It's free for up to 2 gig storage space. I use it all the time when I'm at work on a weekend and no-one is looking, and it means that I'm always working off the same manuscript.

Just look up dropbox and you'll get it.

(PS - it also works on the MIGHTY android phones! I'll have a look at GDocs once my girlfriend has finished playing Angry Birds...)

One reason i should upgrade my phone! Would be good to add notes this way rather than pen and paper, much more organised.

It comes pre-configured with a trial WP and spreadsheet. As is usual with these things you can't save any files and have to purchase the full-blown version.

I use BlackBerry-8900 and I can write and save on the Memopad which came with the phone, a very basic WP. But I have a problem in mailing the saved text as attachment. So I copy-paste the stuff in the compose box and mail it to myself and get it on my laptop/desktop.

Maybe there are better, easier ways of doing this. Perhaps GDocs and Dropbox mentioned in this thread are worth trying on BB for better features.

Just found this thread whilst familiarising myself with the site (I'm a newbie round here) ... this is very useful, have downloaded it and hopefully it will come in handy.

Thanks

I know you guys said for phones but seeing how I am buying a Honeycomb tablet in a couple of weeks does this app translate or would I be better off just using Google Doc? I know the tablet I am looking to buy comes with the trial (as in read only) version software called quickoffice but I am curious about alternatives before I drop 20$ USD on the full version.

Off to look into Dropbox now.