February's Fortuitous Following Of Fabulous Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOLLUM

Ok, you know the routine.

What new literary diamonds or stones have you unearthed for the month of February?

Currently reading Lavinia by Ursula K LeGuin. The cover would have put me off, imagining some sort of historical romance, had this been by anyone but LeGuin. So far, it's rather excellent, an amazingly vivid imagining of the life of the woman Aeneas eventually marries, filled with all sorts of legendary echoes and a wonderfully realised Bronze Age setting.
Yes, I have a copy of Lavinia as well and I recall it was very good indeed as are most things Le Guin puts her hand to.

The 2nd book in the sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind - Stone of Tears I think?

I read The Trojan Woman by Euripides.

It might be seen as a minor work of Euripides because its not much of story progress but i rated it highly. Unlike other Greek classic authors he dares to treat war,the women on the losing side of it in a realistic way. What happens to real humans of those days when the legendary battles,wars end, slavery or worse.

Now im reading When the Sacred Ginmill Closes by Lawrence Block. One of the best,serious crime series.

My first taste of H.P. Lovecraft, the Penguin edition of The Dreams in the Witch House and other Weird Stories.

Only about 3 pages in, and the first few short stories we very good, in a very Dunsanian sort of way...but then I got to "From Beyond" and thought....COOL!!!

Looking forward to this!!!

Michael

My first taste of H.P. Lovecraft, the Penguin edition of The Dreams in the Witch House and other Weird Stories.

Only about 3 pages in, and the first few short stories we very good, in a very Dunsanian sort of way...but then I got to "From Beyond" and thought....COOL!!!

Looking forward to this!!!
Glad you're enjoying it and, while there are some very good stories in there, I would not recommend this one of the three Penguin collections as the place to start with Lovecraft. It has a far higher proportion of his "Dunsanian" tales that the other collections which I think are not quite as accessible as most of his others.

Rankin's earlier stuff can be very good - The Antipope is awesome. Lately he's been kinda off his form, though.

I am still reading Lavinia and am awed by Le Guin's achievement here as well as completely drawn into the narrative. Also dipping into a volume of short stories by the mad punk poet of contemporary horror, Joe Pulver.

The Sword Woman and Other Historical Adventures by Robert E. Howard.

Always interesting to read a new character series of REH.

Are the Warhammer 40K books any good. I also would like to read the Mass Effect and Gears of War books.

I have read quite a few of the Warhammer 40k books, best author by far is Dan Abnett - very good in fact. I have just finished the first Mass Effect book, it was okay - nothing special. I suppose it depends if you have played the games (I have played number 2) if you have it may come across a little better.

Interesting - once I'm finally finished with his Conan stories (someday) I'll have to look into that. Cheers.

And well, after a trinity of King books I'm sufficiently warmed up to tackle the Dark Tower Series. First up, The Gunslinger.

HMMM.. OK. Being a Howard fan boy I note this must be the latest Del Rey publication. Having all of their other Howard edns. this is a must for me. Wonder what stuff this one covers exactly that the other publications did not?

Thanks for the heads up Conn.

EDIT: AH I see you've posted elswhere that is contains some Dark Agnes stories. Cool. I probably have a number of the historical stories in a Bison edn. but I'll still get the Del Rey as I tend to like the illustrations a little more than you...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.