ebooks now outselling paperbacks!

You make a powerful case but I don't think the demise of paper books is quite as innevitable as that. Technology is also working in favour of paper books because printing is becoming easier and cheaper. Coupled with the digitisation of book content, paper books can continue to be sold on a "print on demand" basis indefinitely. They may end up being more expensive than ebooks but I would have thought they would continue to be available to those who choose to buy them. If the costs of printing individual books continues to fall, it shouldn't matter how small a minority are people like me who are willing to support them.

Long live the paperback book! :)

I think you are probably right there FE - and I suspect there will continue to be a market for glossy coffee table books, also for food recipe books (you probably don't want to put your grease covered fingers all over your nice shiny eReader) and I'm sure there are other niches that will continue to publish on paper. As far as straight print only books go it will, I'm sure, be market driven; so long as people are buying them they will continue to be printed. And I would guess that is likely to remain the case for at least another generation, so I'm certainly not saying printed books will disappear in the next 5 or even 10 years.

Just stop and try to imagine the situation 100 years from now with massively more sophisticated technology than anything we have today; I simply can't imagine books still being printed on paper then, except possibly for very specific niche markets.

Just stop and try to imagine the situation 100 years from now with massively more sophisticated technology than anything we have today; I simply can't imagine books still being printed on paper then, except possibly for very specific niche markets.
Thankfully, I'll be long dead! ;)

I bought an eReader (Kindle 3) a few days ago. They're so cheap now! $139 is pretty good for an eReader of this quality.

ANYWAY, there's no problem with formats. You can download 'calibre'. It's freeware software that's sort of like iTunes for your Kindle (or whatever eReader). It converts any ebook format to any other formats. I've been using it to convert PDF to MOBI for use on my Kindle (I don't really like Kindle's PDF support... or at least, I haven't had the right settings).

As for future eReaders that may not support old formats, there are ways to strip DRM and convert to formats that will be supported.

I bought an eReader (Kindle 3) a few days ago. They're so cheap now! $139 is pretty good for an eReader of this quality.

ANYWAY, there's no problem with formats. You can download 'calibre'. It's freeware software that's sort of like iTunes for your Kindle (or whatever eReader). It converts any ebook format to any other formats. I've been using it to convert PDF to MOBI for use on my Kindle (I don't really like Kindle's PDF support... or at least, I haven't had the right settings).

As for future eReaders that may not support old formats, there are ways to strip DRM and convert to formats that will be supported.

Unfortunately that's fine if your original is not DRM'd; if it is then Calibre won't convert it. This is why I strip the DRM from all eBooks that I buy so that I can convert to my required format. However whilst not inherently difficult to do, it is somewhat intimidating for non techie computer users and of course is technically illegal. This should not be required - when I purchase a book, film, cd etc. I should not be restricted as to what devices I can read, watch, listen on, which is essentially the whole argument against DRM.

Unfortunately that's fine if your original is not DRM'd; if it is then Calibre won't convert it. This is why I strip the DRM from all eBooks that I buy so that I can convert to my required format. However whilst not inherently difficult to do, it is somewhat intimidating for non techie computer users and of course is technically illegal. This should not be required - when I purchase a book, film, cd etc. I should not be restricted as to what devices I can read, watch, listen on, which is essentially the whole argument against DRM.

Your last sentence pretty much sums up why I'm reluctant to buy an e-reader, specifically the Kindle. When I buy a paper book I can read it whenever and wherever I want. More importantly, I can lend it to someone and that person can take as long as they need to read it. I believe that Amazon allows a two-week lending period but that is simply inadequate IMO. Why does Amazon get to decide how long my friend has to read the book that I paid for?

I'm heartened by the news that I can strip the DRM and convert an ebook to another format. It shouldn't need to be done but there you go.

I'm not anti-ebook and my greedy reader's heart longs for an e-reader (thousands of books in my handbag!) but I'll buy it when I have some spare cash lying around that is not needed elsewhere. Until then, it's still beautiful paper books for me.

I received an original nook last Christmas. I have read 5 books and working on my sixth, I have read maybe 3 books all of last year if that. I don't know about others, but I will probably break 15 books this year, which I would have never bought otherwise. I don't know if not printing is a bad idea or not but in general I believe the more people read the better.

Especially since local libraries are letting you check out ebooks and have them on your ereader, its hard to go back to print. Heck I have a text book on my ereader and it has worked quite well for me.

Arkose,

Those days may be limited. Harper Collins (if memory serves) has just limited the amount that libraries can loan ebooks (some? classics?) to 24 times before they must repurchase the book. A city (100,000 people) nearby has decided that they will boycott all of Harper Collins offerings print and otherwise because of this decision. The publisher is afraid of "hurting the sales of their other ebooks, and depriving the authors of royalties."

It really is not so different to the progression of music from vinyl to CD to downloaded files. There were many who loved vinyl and thought CD had a cold, clinical sound but that didn't stop them taking over. Now there are many who complain (quite correctly) that downloaded music is not as high quality as uncompressed music on a CD. But the convenience of downloaded MP3's seems to be taking over (don't know the figures bout I would expect downloaded music to overtake CD sales before long if they haven't already). Most people most of the time are not listening to their music closely enough to appreciate any loss of quality.

It's worth noting that music downloading hasn't really stopped vinyl sales and might, in fact, be helping them. CD's pleased no one... they weren't that much more convenient for the casual listener and lacked the sound quality others wanted. Music downloading seems to have done more damage to CD's by basically taking all of the casual market, but vinyl is increasing in popularity.

I imagine this is what will happen going forward. Most books will switch to digital primarily, but you may see a resurging interest in quality book editions... hardcover, nice trade copies, etc... for the collector types.

That said, there are also important differences in use to remember. Ipods took off because portable music supported it... we jog while we listen, or walk to work, ride the subway, etc. mp3 players made this all much easier to do than a cd player that skips or a heavy cassette walkman. Books aren't quite the same, not many people NEED the portability of a book becos few people read while they work out, etc.

I imagine this is what will happen going forward. Most books will switch to digital primarily, but you may see a resurging interest in quality book editions... hardcover, nice trade copies, etc... for the collector types.

I hope this is the case. A lot of my friends call me old fashioned because I refuse to buy an e-reader. While I'll happily admit that having my entire library in one slim device would make packing for holidays, shifting house and reading on the train a heck of a lot easier, there is just no comparison to the feel of a real volume in my hands. I like looking at my bookshelves and seeing what I've managed to amass (although I do miss my boxes and boxes of books that I had to leave in New Zealand when I moved to Australia).

Since I was a little girl I've wanted an old-fashioned library, with the oak desk and the green leather chaise. It's the romanticism of paper books that appeals to me. I've been told that makes me something of a snob :p

I write because it's a part of who I am. When I had a short story published in an anthology it wasn't 'real' to me until I held the volume in my hands and saw my words on the pages. I have a guilty little fantasy sometimes when I go into a bookstore, imagining seeing my WIP on the shelves. Somehow the electronic medium just isn't as 'real' to me. But then, I'm a snob :p

I am an ebook convert. I buy my books from B&N US rather than Amazon because I won't support Amazon's format. B&N is also much easier to strip DRM and I don't need to strip DRM to back up my content. I keep my content and have the ability to strip DRM at any time but currently don't bother to.

I buy a lot of books, between 10-20 per month if my last year's records are to be believed. Now I only started using an Ereader last March so there is some replacement purchasing in there. But with a library of 1500 paper books that trend is likely to continue.

I now only buy paper if the books are collectibles and unavailable in ebook format. I may buy paper and ebook formats in the case of an author signing event. I recently bought the hardcover of The Wise Man's Fear at a book store signing. I already had purchased the ebook version.

All in all I suspect ebooks are hear and will become the new normal. Who buys music CD's nowadays? Certainly not I. The ereader platforms are quite good and with my NOOKColor I get to see cover art properly too :)

This is great for all of us self published authors as publishing and distributing e-books is much easier than self publishing paperbacks.

Much as I love books I simply do not have the space for all the ones that I have, let alone the ones I would like to have. I still buy “real” books, mostly nice big “special” books, while my ebook reader fills the same niche in my collection as all those second hand paperbacks that I’ve always loved buying, and in effect is slowly replacing them. What with that and all the out of copyright older books that are available for free, it seems ironic that I’m using this most modern of inventions mostly to read a lot of very old books!

A slight digression, but here’s a question I’ve wondered about particularly since ebook piracy became a hot topic. Clearly the author should benefit from the circulation of their work. I might be missing something about how the market works, but just how does an author benefit when someone buys their book from a good old second hand bookshop? In this respect how does this venerable practice differ from obtaining a copy of an ebook someone else originally bought?

Martin

The problem with selling an ebook second hand is there is no way to transfer ownership. Though they are working on this with libraries lending ebooks. To sell your ebook, you would first have to strip the DRM on it otherwise the buyer wouldn't be able to read it and then there is no way to stop you keeping your own copy. So in the end you have sold a copy not the original and there are now two books out there instead of the original one and the author has received nothing for that extra copy.

I might be missing something about how the market works, but just how does an author benefit when someone buys their book from a good old second hand bookshop? In this respect how does this venerable practice differ from obtaining a copy of an ebook someone else originally bought?

When a second-hand copy of a book is sold, the author doesn't get an compensation, But someone brought the book originally, and the author got compensated for that. And there is only a limited number of physical copies of the book out there and the author got compensated for each copy.

With ebooks, there is no limit to the number of copies. I could sell, as second-hand, any of the ebooks I have brought*, but since that would not require that I lose my copy, I could do it again. There is no limit on the upper number of copies I could sell, or give-away.

* I laugh at the concept of DRM. It is either inherently insecure, or inherently intrusive and probably insecure at the same time, and I know exactly how to strip the drm from everything I have brought.

I am an e-book convert, as a way of trying new authors, carrying books on trips, and reading where turning pages would bother others. I also love paper books and buy them. I am disturbed about the pricing of some e-books. If you can buy a paper book for $8.00 and an e-book sells for $7.00, why should I buy the e-book? An e-book has all the bother of being restricted on lending it, having to worry about keeping your device charged, and having a breakable device to carry.(I have broken 2 Kindles) If you damage a paper book, it just requires a little tape.
On the other hand I applaud the idea of Text Books as e-books, as they should be cheaper, and can be revised without buying a whole new book. This should also give the schools more choice in publishers.
I can see a place for both types of publishing side by side, giving new authors a better chance of getting published, and keeping the sensation of having a real book in your hands.

I am not surprized that ebooks outsell paper books. This is the result of people being more tech savy and ebooks being cheaper and less space consuming.

Just take note of the fine print, i.e., ownership of what one buys, what happens if the service is no longer available, and so on.

I would bet ebook dollars aren't greater. Just units sold.

The thread is dated print books sell more and are more valuable. But it must be remembered that these are total books sales. I would suspect that if we are only talking about novels that ebooks out sell print books. (the quoted source below doesn't say precisely but the hints are there. For one thing in genre fiction ebooks out pace print books about 2-1) In the last 5 years I've only bought maybe 5 print novels, and I've read somewhere about 800-1000 novels in that time.

• Print books out-sell eBooks 4-to1
  • 191 million e-books were sold in the United States in 2020
  • Printed book sales amounted to 750.89 million units in 2020
  • Print book sales have increased 13.2% between 2020 and 2021, and 21% between 2019 and 2021
  • eBook sales grew by 22% in 2020
  • eBook sales have decreased 8% in 2021 but are still 8% higher than they were in 2019
  • In 2020, 19% of adult readers owned an e-reader, a decrease from 32% of adult readers who owned e-readers in 2014
2020 book sales info

Last edited: