Reaper's Gale

Scooter

Hey guys,

The Malazan Book of the Fallen is one of my favourite fantasy series of all time. I absolutely LOVED MOI, MT and DG, some of the best books ever.

But...

I'm with a lot of you on these forums that RG was disappointing (right word?).

What I want to ask is, what major issues did you have with RG? The reason I'm asking is that I remember wanting to like it more than I did, but I don't know if I can quite put my finger on what was wrong with it (although I'm going to give it a go :D). Mhybe because I it's been a while since I read it. Whereas with ThH, I can clearly identify exactly what irked me throughout the book.

Or if you loved it, what did you love about it? I remember enjoying the Tehol-Bugg interplay again, and although I wanted to give Erikson a spade tothe face :p for the tragic fate of a certain character near the end, on retrospect that really boosted the story.

**SPOILER**

One thing I thought was merely 'meh' was the Silchis Ruin led quest, mainly because (if I recall) ALL of the characters with Ruin annoyed me in some way. Even characters I liked in previous books, like Seren. Also, did that quest even tie-in directly with the malazans and what was happening in Lether, except for QB getting involved? I remember it as sort of disjointed from the rest of hte book, but that might just be a faulty memory ;).

The main issue I remember having with the main story-arc was that the decadent Edur-Lether empire never really seemed much of a threat to the 'good guys.' Tehol, the Malazans and eventually Tool ran rings around it. As such, I didn't feel the same sense of danger and urgency as I did with most of the other books, especially DG, MOI, and MT.

One other minor thing was the throw-away 'death' of that grey helms(?) army. That was just frustrating.

It didn't grip me the way the other books did, it lacked something. The other books have taking me through a roller coaster of emotions. I didn't get that with RG. Not that I didn't like it I did but not as much as the others. Although a second read may change that it did with HOC.

Reaper's Gale to me is one of the best books of the series.
Because of the marine's interaction.

All hellian's pieces made me laugh out loud.
The book was just so damn funny.

Reaper's Gale, to me, wasn't awful (I really enjoy the Tehol/Bugg parts and the adventures of the marines), but it didn't grip me as other books in the series did, and I agree that the whole Silchas Ruin thing was a bit annoying. Redmask's arc didn't particularly interest me either.

However, as I go through The Crippled God, I'm starting to see it in a different light. I can say with certainty that it's going to take me a lot of read-throughs before I get all the little tie-ins in the series, but I'm already starting to see how little bits in books like RG affect the final moments of the series.

I'm still in awe of Erikson.

I loved Reaper's Gale, to me it had more of a story than some other books, not just a 'big moment' ending to steal the limelight. Loved the humour, the tragedy, the plots

RG was enjoyable to me mainly for the Marines/Karsa Orlong bits. It has my single favorite Karsa line in any of the books, after Rhulad asks how many times Karsa will kill him and he replies, "I will kill you... once."

RG was the book where I started enjoying reading about Karsa. In previous books he had been annoying and a bit too powerful for his own good, but in tandem with Samar Dev, he became an entirely different character, and a much better one :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pyan Obituaries 4
Judderman Steven Erikson 6
Rane Longfox Steven Erikson 39
Rane Longfox Steven Erikson 45
Werthead Steven Erikson 9