The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim!

wow! the women actually look like women in Skyrim? thank the heavens.
considering Skyrim is likely to be out on PS3 and 360, i imagine most systems running Oblivion on high (or dragon age: O or 2 for a more recent comparison), will be able to handle it - at least on lower settings...

I heard that the recommended requirements include 512mb gpu, quad core cpu at 3ghz and 3gb ram. Surely though the minimum specs will be lower than that. My pc will cope with that but I'm sure many wont. Anyway, I have been looking forward to this game coming out for a loooong time. I have no idea how many hundreds of hours I spent on Oblivion.

I heard that the recommended requirements include 512mb gpu, quad core cpu at 3ghz and 3gb ram. Surely though the minimum specs will be lower than that. My pc will cope with that but I'm sure many wont. Anyway, I have been looking forward to this game coming out for a loooong time. I have no idea how many hundreds of hours I spent on Oblivion.

I hope so.

I will likely still be stuck with my dual core PC, and my Radeon HD 4830. :(

It was the same with Oblivion, my hardware at the time was just below min spec, but one thing Elder Scrolls/Bethesda games have is a huge, talented fan base of modders, and clever people, and .ini file tweaks and so on were available very quickly to enable me to run the game :D

I imagine the same for Skyrim, if similar issues happen.

I cant wait, the sound track reminds me of morrowind, witch to me had better music.

I want to look forward to Skyrim, but I'm skeptic after Oblivion. Anyway, I heard a rumor that we will have to fight dragons in Skyrim. (makes sense from the trailer and the whole 'dragon born' thingy.) But as far I understand, the dragons will swoop down out of the sky and attack you on sight - even in cities. This means there aren't really any places to hide other than in dungeson and in houses. Can anyone confirn this or prove me wrong? I would love to fight a dragon or two, but not regularly through the whole game.

true, there is no such thing as The Perfect Game... however, no studio ever comes so close as Bethesda!

I sort of agree. They did come close to perfection. Then they made Oblivion and Fallout 3. BioWare came pretty darn close too with the Baldur's Gate series and Mass Effect 1, but the rest of them... meh. Strangely, I think the closest-to-perfection of the recent games is Obsidian, of all things. I never liked anything they've done, but Fallout: New Vegas is one of the best games I've ever played.

Non-RPGs, Mortal Kombat 9 is pretty darn perfect as well. And it looks beautiful, too. When the scenery and characters aren't covered in blood and gore, of course. :D

I want to look forward to Skyrim, but I'm skeptic after Oblivion. Anyway, I heard a rumor that we will have to fight dragons in Skyrim. (makes sense from the trailer and the whole 'dragon born' thingy.) But as far I understand, the dragons will swoop down out of the sky and attack you on sight - even in cities. This means there aren't really any places to hide other than in dungeson and in houses. Can anyone confirn this or prove me wrong? I would love to fight a dragon or two, but not regularly through the whole game.

I sort of agree. They did come close to perfection. Then they made Oblivion and Fallout 3. BioWare came pretty darn close too with the Baldur's Gate series and Mass Effect 1, but the rest of them... meh. Strangely, I think the closest-to-perfection of the recent games is Obsidian, of all things. I never liked anything they've done, but Fallout: New Vegas is one of the best games I've ever played.

Non-RPGs, Mortal Kombat 9 is pretty darn perfect as well. And it looks beautiful, too. When the scenery and characters aren't covered in blood and gore, of course. :D

I really liked Oblivion. It has problems, but I enjoyed it - it just didnt seem as huge as morrowind in terms of quests, and the main quest in oblivion is a lot shorter.

I have been hearing plenty I like about Skyrim though! How the night sky looks, the constellations, will depend on your skills tree! As you increase your skills/gain new ones, that is reflected in the stars!

Also, they seem to be bigging up some sort of random quest generator, which should add in huge continued playability, providing the main scripted quests are decently sized.

Also, combat will be playable as 2 handed - so left mouse can control your right hand, and whatever you choose will control your left - Right can be fighting with a sword, whilst the left used for firing magick spells.

If its half has good as they are making out, it should be a welcome addition to the family.

They made a lot of promises for Oblivion too, but they did't really keep most of them. Take the AI, for instance. The NPCs were supposed to live a life instead of just be scripted, and they proved it by showing a scene with a woman and her dog. The problem is that's the only dog in the entire game, and the whole scene is scripted... So while the quest generator seems fun, I want to see it in action before I decide if it works or not. And by 'see it in action', I mean I need to play the game first and see it there. Even Elder Scrolls 1 had a quest generator, but it was simple stuff like kill a troll or fetch something.

I'm not sure I want the stars to change depending on my skills. I don't want the whole world to evolve around me, but rather be just another guy.

TWo-handed combat sounds fun, but why would the fight button control the left hand? It makes a lot more sense to let the left button control the left hand and right button control the right hand. Though personally I would perfer bringing back the excellent fighting from Arena. Or learn from Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

They made a lot of promises for Oblivion too, but they did't really keep most of them. Take the AI, for instance. The NPCs were supposed to live a life instead of just be scripted, and they proved it by showing a scene with a woman and her dog. The problem is that's the only dog in the entire game, and the whole scene is scripted... So while the quest generator seems fun, I want to see it in action before I decide if it works or not. And by 'see it in action', I mean I need to play the game first and see it there. Even Elder Scrolls 1 had a quest generator, but it was simple stuff like kill a troll or fetch something.

I'm not sure I want the stars to change depending on my skills. I don't want the whole world to evolve around me, but rather be just another guy.

TWo-handed combat sounds fun, but why would the fight button control the left hand? It makes a lot more sense to let the left button control the left hand and right button control the right hand. Though personally I would perfer bringing back the excellent fighting from Arena. Or learn from Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Oh what buttons you use are absolutely your choice - I am just wierd in that I use arrow keys for movement, rather than WASD and my right mouse button is my "jump" button. I suppose I could set the mouse scroll button click option to be my right hand, but not very ergonomic. I need a mouse with 3 clicks!

So for me my easiest combat control would be Mouse 1 for right hand, numpad, 0(ins) for left hand

There is nothing I hate worse than a game that will not let you customise what keys you use - there is absolutely no excuse for that being uncustomisable. Dead Space was a complete waste of cash for me - I found it impossible to play due the the key set being unchangeable.

What I vaguely remember from Oblivion with regards to AI, is they had to lower its "intelligence" and autonomy massively last minute. They were beta testing, or whatever, and whilst in a town, a Town Guard got hungry, and stole from one of the stalls, which caused a big fight, and then the guard resisted arrest, and they ended up with shedloads of NPC's butchering each other :eek:

Skyrim will either be great, or it will be so so, but still fun.

And the great thing with Elder Scrolls games, is the editors are normally released asap, and there is an absolutely massive and talented fanbase, often rushing out fixes, before official patches, and of course thousands of mods to extend the games lifespan, and its replayability :D

I actually like the idea that more stars appear in the sky, as your character progresses, it has no function or affect on the game whatsoever, just a little visual treat

I didn't get to play any Edler Scrolls other than Oblivion and really enjoyed it - just literally logged out of my umpteenth character I'm developing. It did a lot of things right, but there are a few contentious points - but I think considering the size and scope of the world, there was an amazing amount that could have gone horribly wrong, but worked really well overall.

I didn't get to play any Edler Scrolls other than Oblivion and really enjoyed it - just literally logged out of my umpteenth character I'm developing. It did a lot of things right, but there are a few contentious points - but I think considering the size and scope of the world, there was an amazing amount that could have gone horribly wrong, but worked really well overall.

Absolutely :D I think the last time I played was last year - 5 years on from release. (been obsessed with dragon age)

I did borrow Morrowind from my brother to have another go, I had not played in years, and just found it impossible to get back into - Oblivion and other more modern RPG's are a world apart. The graphics, I could put up with, and there are plenty of texture/graphic update mods available for Morrowind, but it just felt a little too clunky, NPC's dont speak what they have to say when in dialogue with them, other than random stuff when walking past. Of course the incredible storyline is still there, if the graphics could be tweaked a lot better, it may help, but the clunkyness and the graphics together just made it a bit of a chore :(

I believe a few years ago, there was a fan project to essentially import the whole of morrowind into Oblivion, so it would run with Oblivion graphics. I dont know if they intended to effectively build a conversion tool, that would take most objects and landscapes and replace them in bulk, or if it was a case of doing everything manually - a giant job :eek: But iirc, rather than losing hope, Bethesda actually shut the project down with legal threats.

Edit: on googling, it looks like there are a few ongoing projects to rebuild Vvardenfell in Oblivion, but I think it would just be an additional "area" with no quests etc, just the chance to wander the landscape of morrowind.

Also, in my old age, and suffering from high blood pressure problems, I don't think I could stand the constant vicious attacks of Cliff Racers that morrowind suffered anymore :eek: :p

Last edited:
There is nothing I hate worse than a game that will not let you customise what keys you use
I completely agree with you on that. I'm left handed, so I always change the keys to something that suits me better. I still use WSAD, but I can't reach Alt, for instance. Though how right handed people reach Ctrl + a number effectivly is beyond me.

Another thing I hate is that every FPS insist you are right-handed. I remember an Unreal Tourmanet-game let you hold the gun on the left side of the screen, but more or less all FPSs the last ten, fifteen years have it on the right side only. It might not seem like much, but having it on the left side made a lot of difference to me. When I have it on the left side, it felt like an extension to my hand and made aiming a lot easier. Having it on the right side means I have to rely on the crosshair and hope I aim in the general area I want to hit. Thank god for rocket lauchers. :D

I can't wait for Skyrim, but I'm still skeptic. it's not just that I hated Oblivion, but it's mostly that so many games have gone to consoles the last few years. If I'm not mistaken, PC game sales have increased lately, but they are still love. What this means is games sell more on consoles, so they stay there. It's not bad most of the time, but console-games are so simple to control. I remember playing X-Wing and TIE Fighter, and we had to use a flightstick and a large part of the keyboard just to control our ships. I loved it. Same with Comanche: Maximum Overkill. The weapons alone were on the Z to B or so keys, and then there was the speed, altitude, radar, targeting, map etc. I loved it. :) (sidenote: My father hated it and didn't want me to play it since "Maximum overkill" sounded so violent. I had a hard time explaining to him that it was a helicopter sim.) :p

I completely agree with you on that. I'm left handed, so I always change the keys to something that suits me better. I still use WSAD, but I can't reach Alt, for instance. Though how right handed people reach Ctrl + a number effectivly is beyond me.

Another thing I hate is that every FPS insist you are right-handed. I remember an Unreal Tourmanet-game let you hold the gun on the left side of the screen, but more or less all FPSs the last ten, fifteen years have it on the right side only. It might not seem like much, but having it on the left side made a lot of difference to me. When I have it on the left side, it felt like an extension to my hand and made aiming a lot easier. Having it on the right side means I have to rely on the crosshair and hope I aim in the general area I want to hit. Thank god for rocket lauchers.

I can't wait for Skyrim, but I'm still skeptic. it's not just that I hated Oblivion, but it's mostly that so many games have gone to consoles the last few years. If I'm not mistaken, PC game sales have increased lately, but they are still love. What this means is games sell more on consoles, so they stay there. It's not bad most of the time, but console-games are so simple to control. I remember playing X-Wing and TIE Fighter, and we had to use a flightstick and a large part of the keyboard just to control our ships. I loved it. Same with Comanche: Maximum Overkill. The weapons alone were on the Z to B or so keys, and then there was the speed, altitude, radar, targeting, map etc. I loved it. :) (sidenote: My father hated it and didn't want me to play it since "Maximum overkill" sounded so violent. I had a hard time explaining to him that it was a helicopter sim.) :p

I remember tie fighter :eek: And going near cross eyed playing it ! 1 eye jammed on radar, the other eye flying and targetting :D

As I understand it, the pilots of Apache gunships in the real world, have to learn to independently move their eyes seperate to each other :eek:

Heh, I hardly think they have to move their eyes independently until I get proof. Is it even possible? Besides, computers do most of the work these days. Normal passenger-planes don't even need the pilots, but can take off, fly to the correct destination and land safely on auto-pilot easily. The human pilot is mostly for safety reasons. And to say "Primary mission objective complete. The Emperor will be pleased." when they land. :D

Heh, I hardly think they have to move their eyes independently until I get proof. Is it even possible? Besides, computers do most of the work these days. Normal passenger-planes don't even need the pilots, but can take off, fly to the correct destination and land safely on auto-pilot easily. The human pilot is mostly for safety reasons. And to say "Primary mission objective complete. The Emperor will be pleased." when they land. :D

A young work colleague told me once about the Apache stuff, he was aiming to join up and hopefully fly them.

I thought they just had those special "look and kill" helmets these days anyway, the gatling cannons etc, move in time with/ to wherever the wear is looking, which is a groovy way of aiming :D

I think one of the coolest military things I have heard, is one of the US Navy Aircraft Carriers have the StarWars theme as the call to battle stations alarm, which is brilliant hehe.

I would love to see a cockup in which, the US president was landing somewhere, and instead of Hail to the Chief the band accidently played Imperial March!

Ask not what the Force can do you for, but what you can do for the Force! :D

Yes it does look interesting, just hope they upgrade the engine and make the sword fighting less "stiff" maybe include the PS3 Move for us consolers :)

Yep - I noticed that in Oblivion. While it's a great game otherwise swordplay was all hacking and no finesse. The 'new' moves you got were always almost identical to the old ones - made the game tedious in that way. And one reason why I ended up with a bow instead.

Cannot wait for Skyrim however.

Anyone seen the Orc and Khajiit screenshots yet? A huge improvement on Oblivion:

Skyrim%2Borc%2Band%2Bkhajiit.JPG

If Bethesda can deliver half of what they promise, then I think Skyrim could be a strong contender for game of the year. Either way I can't wait!