I like reading old books because I know they won't become too popular.

Anakha6

Science fiction fantasy
Because they're old and not too many people can keep up with the language, which means they won't get a nerdy obsessed fan-base. Anyone else like this? Sucks when they get made in to films though, Cough *lord of the rings* cough.

I don't particularly care about what other people like reading. If I like the sound of something, I'll read it. Whether it's popular or not.

Umm, it seems slightly odd saying that Lord of the Rings doesn't have a "nerdy obsessed fan-base" - and yes, it had one long before the films came out. Also, as older novels go, the language is definitely on the easy side. And the films, comparatively, are pretty good adaptations.

However, while I think your example could have been better chosen, I do see where you're coming from...ish :p.

Also, I agree with Mouse's comment!

Umm, it seems slightly odd saying that Lord of the Rings doesn't have a "nerdy obsessed fan-base" - and yes, it had one long before the films came out. Also, as older novels go, the language is definitely on the easy side. And the films, comparatively, are pretty good adaptations.

However, while I think your example could have been better chosen, I do see where you're coming from...ish :p.

Also, I agree with Mouse's comment!

I guess that the gist of what I'm saying is that I like to be able to talk about my favorite books without the following interjection: 'OMG [insert fictional character] is soooooo hawt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Well, you won't get that here, that's for sure - the vast majority of our members enjoy intelligent discussion, and l33t and txtspke get short shrift.

Be careful, though, that a statement like your first post doesn't give the impression of genre snobbery, as in "I like books that are far too obscure for you to have read"...That won't win you many friends here either...:p

Welcome to the Chrons, though - read, post, enjoy...:)

Well, pyan, I hate to tell you this, but I like books that are far ... er, well, that's not really true.

But I do like old books, books a hundred years old or more, in part because the language is often so much richer.

And (for instance) I've loved Jane Austen for more than 40 years, and I'm not going to stop now because there is a huge revival of interest in her works, including movies being made, and television adaptations, and websites -- why should it make a difference?

As most of the people around here could tell you, the majority of what I read these days is old... sometimes very old (seventeenth century or before); so I obviously love older literature. As Teresa says, the writing is often (though not always) so much richer, more thoughtful, and frankly better constructed.

This is not, however, to say I don't read (and relish) new things; but that I am somewhat picky about them. As for the "fan base"... being a fan of Lovecraft, Smith, Tolkien, Ellison, Moorcock, Howard, and Poe, I've ran into all sorts of people who are "into" these writers... so it doesn't really matter to me. I don't go for things because they are obscure to others; I simply go for those things which repay my effort to obtain and read (and often reread) them.

I do, however, tend to promote older books which I think would be of interest to various people who may not be aware of them; as I think it's a pity for good work to be neglected....

In the dark ages of paper... no TV. No Net, no video games, radios, records... Books were all of these things.
The other thing...was precious little censorship. Looking at Voltaire here, and... oh my goodness.* :eek:

I guess that the gist of what I'm saying is that I like to be able to talk about my favorite books without the following interjection: 'OMG [insert fictional character] is soooooo hawt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Shallowness is underrated!

I like reading esoteric technical manuals for obsolete hardware because I know they won't become too popular...oop :p

From Cold Comfort Farm:

"One of the disadvantages of almost universal education was that all kinds of people gained a familiarity with one's favourite books. It gave one a curious feeling; like seeing a drunken stranger wrapped in one's dressing gown."

I hope it goes without saying that I am in full support of universal education, but I think the feeling behind the statement is relevant!

Its no contest i feel the same feeling when i read a good book if its 300-400 years old,not too popular or if its Lord of the ring or another good bestseller book. All really popular books are not bad.

I have been readings books by 2500 years old greeks like Aristoteles Aischylos,Euripides,Sofokles just since this weekend,today. Sure for lit class but the good ones tend to stick even after lit class.

From Cold Comfort Farm:

"One of the disadvantages of almost universal education was that all kinds of people gained a familiarity with one's favourite books. It gave one a curious feeling; like seeing a drunken stranger wrapped in one's dressing gown."

And yet, being a fan of that book, I am always thrilled when I find someone else who has read it!

The fact that I've still not read The Epic of Gilgamesh should in no way be construed as waiting for it to become popular...

The fact that I've still not read The Epic of Gilgamesh should in no way be construed as waiting for it to become popular...

You haven't? I'm shocked!

Actually, if you really haven't, you should. Very nifty story, and a rather quick read. I'd suggest N. K. Sandars' translation as a thoroughly enjoyable experience....:D:D

But I do like old books, books a hundred years old or more, in part because the language is often so much richer.

I was amazed when I first read Dracula (and it took me many years to get around to it) to find that the narrative flow was so nicely paced. Didn't read like something 100 years old.

Gilgamesh should be read really because its the only ancient non-western lit western academics,readers respect.

I will read it for sure when i dont have lit class.