Google

Discussion in 'World affairs' started by Palerider, Nov 30, 2010.

Palerider

Palerider New Member

Curious about your thoughts. Seems to be a bit of a question on the subject from the news reports.

I'm undecided, so all's fair, as far as I'm concerned.

Thought it might be fun to throw it out to everyone here.

Subject: Google.

The best thing since... Whatever?

or...

The father of Skynet (from The Terminator movies)?

Joe

As always :confused:
    sloweye

sloweye Lord Shaman.

Not at all, if your making that comparison you could say the very first computer was the start.

Google is a tool, skynet was AI.
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

It's also a very useful one.:)
    sloweye

sloweye Lord Shaman.

without it i wouldn't have found the Chrons, Ok, so i typed Bernard Cornwell forum and it bought me here but what the hey :D
    chrispenycate

chrispenycate resident pedantissimo Staff Member

And would your life have been better or worse without that intervention?
    sloweye

sloweye Lord Shaman.

Well i never did find the Cornwell forum... but made some friends here, its two years on and i'm still hanging around like a bad smell so...... i guess its not so bad here.

That, or like Google.. i just dont learn :D
    mosaix

mosaix Active Member

I must admit I'm getting a little irritated with the results of Google searches. I absolutely detest the 'sponsored sites' and resolutely refuse to click on them.

I'm seriously thinking of using another search engine.
    Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

J Riff

J Riff The Ants are my friends..

I have never used google, it's just a search engine, innit?
    I still use Altavista, Ask Jeeves, DogPile, anything but GooGoo.
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

I used to use several different search engines depending on my needs, but eventually found Google to be the best and most flexible. I then found that the best of the others had slowly disappeared as Google became more powerful. That is competition and our capitalist system at work. However, I think Google have become too powerful. I agree about the 'sponsored sites' and the reported complaints that they re-arrange the order of results. If Google was Windows, there would be a Mac or a Linux to compete with it.
    nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

Its thanks to google I'm here, typed fantasy books and hit the I'm feeling lucky button.
    Perpetual Man

Perpetual Man Former Comment Giver

I have to agree, I use Google more than any other search engine, although I do use others on occasion - Ask Jeeves, I've played with Bing and Alta Vista, and Lycos, but as a whole I keep coming back to Google.

And as with so many others, if it wasn't for the G. I would not be with the Chronicles either.

Hmm, so now you all know who to blame.
    Bella Donna

Bella Donna Mostly Harmless

Hello there, interesting discussion you have here. I rather like Google because it's got a lot of useful add-ons that other websites/search engines don't seem to have, including free

• websites (you can make your own websites there)
    • feed readers (FeedBurner -- I love how flexible it is)
    • chat facility
    • analytics
    • blogs
    • docs
    • and, of course, Gmail.

I'd be lying if I said I thought they were perfect. Google has been eroding the functionality of its freebies to force us to either abandon them or pay for stuff we can get free elsewhere. On the websites, you can only make web pages. There's no server space to speak of so you couldn't have, let's say, a forum on your websites.

However, you could set up a forum elsewhere and link to the site. I also find that they're a bit arrogant and distant. It's very hard to get hold of them directly unless you are paying for stuff. If you want help, you end up going to forums where users with varying degrees of knowledge and zero authority offer their assistance. Sometimes they are very helpful, to be fair.

Oh, and if you're wondering why I didn't put Chrome up there on the bulleted list, it's because Chrome doesn't work properly with other Google products. :confused: That's a bit of an own goal, really. I use Google extensively, but I do get annoyed with them sometimes.
    sloweye

sloweye Lord Shaman.

I had no idea that was still going :rolleyes:
    I've not see that since the 90's
    J Riff

Use it. Dump Googer. The Chrons showsup on every search engine, of course... I became offended when people started saying 'Google it' ...it's just a search engine.
    Palerider

Palerider New Member

I use MSN myself. That's how I found this website. I, also, use Yahoo.

Google Earth bothers me, even if I have the free version on my computer.

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with the first step."

Joe "Stir the Pot" Palerider.

:)
    Palerider

Palerider New Member

And whatever you do, please don't tell the Overlords at Google that "it's "just a search engine".

One of them went on record a few weeks back and said that he's looking for Google to be 1/3 of the human brain in the future. This was said in a semi rational rant that the news services picked up.

Don't really have all the details on it, but when I heard about it, one thing crossed my mind...

Phillip K. Dick.

Stirrirng... Stirring...

:)
    J Riff

'tis a mere search engine - this and nothing more....
    (armed men appear at door wearing flak-jackets with google emblem)
    A FINE, nay, absolutely a TERRIFIC search engine - a personal favorite- endorse it wholeheartedly.
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

Google is more than just 'another search engine' though. It has a very sophisticated algorithm that has proved itself to be better than the others. They constantly make small changes in an effort to improve it, and there lies the problem: is it improvement, or a form of censorship, or an abuse of a monopolistic power?

Google removes duplicate entries that are the bane of some other search engines - the French Law website that brought the current action has too much duplicated content according to Google.

Google has also changed the way it ranks search results so that unscrupulous merchants find it harder to get placed. Should they really be doing that?

And I guess people wonder that if they could manipulate all of their Chinese results then they are probably already doing as much elsewhere.

Do you mean Google Street View?

I'm not too bothered myself about seeing faces and license plates - they are obscured anyway - my daughter is in one shot. The people being sick, being arrested, out with their mistresses, or who have since died - they may or may not have valid complaints about Street View and privacy, but taking of photographs is still a lawful activity.

I do find it strange walking down streets the way they looked 3 years ago. Now, if people stopped going outside any more and went 'virtual shopping', and if Google began to manipulate Street View we could be almost into the territory of the 'Matrix'. I mean what chance for a retailer if his shop just suddenly disappeared off the street!
    Bella Donna

Bella Donna Mostly Harmless

That's when you know they've got a monopoly.

Remember when people said "Xerox it?"

Same thing.