OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Progress:
1701-f_v06_05.jpg

Progress:

1701-f_v07_01.jpg

Can you verify that my system redundancy is correct for saucer separation? I'm just giving the saucer impulse power, like the Ent D, so it doesn't actually need a deflector dish does it? What can I turn that into instead?

No, theres no deflector. Seperation was for emergencies, the families would be moved to the saucer in the event of a heavy battle so it could scarper while the tail end did the fighting. (as far as i know, but my knowlage comes purley from the shows)

I tried some targeted smooth and totally broke the model, so these are from an earlier save:
1701f_v06_01.jpg

1701f_v06_03.jpg

1701f_v06_04.jpg

1701f_v06_05.jpg

1701f_v06_07.jpg

It's probably a good idea to add more detail and do more tweaking before I start smoothing anyway.

[edit] I'm thinking saucer separation will consist of just the horseshoe shaped outside portion of the saucer (including the primary impulse engines) separating from all the rest, leaving basically the same shape, but with a smaller saucer.

Last edited:
This is what the model looks like without any kind of smoothing right now.
orthos_unsmoothed_01a.jpg

I lost some of my reference textures recently, but hopefully you can still tell that I've done things like add a second phaser strip on the dorsal saucer.

Thruster reference is there now too, the brown squares.

[edit]
This is what I was thinking for saucer separation:
orthos_unsmoothed__saucer_sep_01a.jpg

Saucer keeps 3 phaser banks (and 2 pulse phasers if and when I add them) but leaves all the torpedos.

Last edited:
Micro photon / Quantum torpedos? could be fitted in the saucer section.
(as used on Denube class runabouts)

*what is happening with the bridge/battle bridge in this style of seperation? I only ask as it looks like the main bridge is left with the tail end during seperation.

what is happening with the bridge/battle bridge in this style of seperation? I only ask as it looks like the main bridge is left with the tail end during seperation.

Right. The saucer section would have an auxiliary control center, but the idea is just to use the saucer section as a life boat/planetary landing craft, while the remaining section goes into battle/ blows up.

Saucer separation isn't really high on my list of priorities, but it effects how I place subsystems.

I may just imply a seam there when I get to texturing.

[edit]
This is what happens when I underlay the Enterprise -E's ortho below my silhouette.

ent_e_orth_cheat_01.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not happy with the front view, but I like the pylons in their current raised position from all other angles, including the aft.

I'm tempted to experiment with hanging the nacelles from under the pylons rather than having them perched on top...

Last edited: