OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

you could push the saucer back a little to give it a more 'gun grip' look? (txture wise, how about escape pods in that section)

Pushing the neck back might give it more of a "viper poised to strike" look, and so might pushing the engineering section forward. I'll play with both ideas.

[Edit]

I think making the top half of the saucer dome shaped like the Ent D rather than the traditional "concave/convex/concave" style should reduce the suggestion of a "beak" shape.

[edit]

I think I'm going to thicken the engineering section, removing the flatness of the tail by pulling the neck back to fill the space, but I think I'll push the whole secondary hull forward a bit, so the front of the neck still has "poised to strike" fee

Last edited:
Making the underside of the saucer at least partially concave would also add to the the impression of a cobra's hood.

[edit]
Doodling on my screenshot in photoshop again:
1701-f_v03_08rx.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good, FM.

One small point - I'd have thought the bridge dome (and the balancing bulge underneath) would be a touch further aft, nearer the thickest part of the saucer? Maybe not...

Looking good, FM.

One small point - I'd have thought the bridge dome (and the balancing bulge underneath) would be a touch further aft, nearer the thickest part of the saucer? Maybe not...

Yeah, generally they are in the dead center. I've moved them forward intentionally so that they rest in the center of the saucer's forward curve (from above) and since the saucer is egg shaped, that puts it father forward from the side.

I think I'll split the difference though, and have it slightly forward from the side, and slightly back from the top.

I love that discription of the captains yaght :D

I think I'm actually going to put my torpedo launchers there. 5 launchers aiming forward and to the sides (but not backward), arranged in 2/3rds of a circle.

I love that discription of the captains yacht :D

Ah, but this is FM's Enterprise - for all we know, it could be the floor of the Captain's swimming pool...:D

The triple nacelles make a lot of sense, actually - given the enormous size of the "D", unless there was a corresponding advance in engine technology, you'd think it would need the extra engine capacity to move all that mass along through warp.Or am I showing my ignorance of warp tech, and once you're up to warpspeed you only need maintaining power?

IIRC, the warp drive simply creates a large enough "bubble" to envelope the ship. Asside from that, the mass/size/weight of the material within that bubble is inconsequential.

I could be wrong though. It's been a while since I've read "The Science of Star Trek."

IIRC, the warp drive simply creates a large enough "bubble" to envelope the ship. Asside from that, the mass/size/weight of the material within that bubble is inconsequential.

I could be wrong though. It's been a while since I've read "The Science of Star Trek."

No, i think you are spot on there.. hence the borg cube.

Figures - makes the mass of the ship inconsequential, so, as sloweye says, you can have the odd really big ship.

I've got that somewhere -("The Science of Star Trek.") - I'll have to dig it out and read it if I'm going to keep posting in ST threads...:D

I've got that somewhere -("The Science of Star Trek.") - I'll have to dig it out and read it if I'm going to keep posting in ST threads...:D

That book is funny. Every chapter is like "Here is how they do things on Star Trek... and here is why it wouldn't really work."

:p

Sleek! She'll look as if she's doing Warp 9 at Stardock...:cool:

I just added phaser banks. The long strippy kind. Two on the top of the saucer, on on the bottom of the saucer, and two small strips on either side of the secondary hull.

I didn't take screenshots before I left the house this morning, so here are some doodles:
1701-f_v04_04.jpg

Any final suggestions before I lock in the shape/silhouette and start adding more fine detail?