Skimlinks added to forum

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Brian Turner, Nov 17, 2010.

Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Just to let everyone know I've just added Skimlinks to the forum in order to try and earn a little more revenue, without distracting from the community.

Effectively, a script will try and match words on the forums with advertisers, and mousing over these will show that it was provided by skimlinks.

Chronicles will get paid according to the links being clicked.

Just a basic form of advertising and I'm only expecting pennies to come in from it, but in these times being penny-wise is a good strategy.

But the main point is that it shouldn't harm the community experience - however, if I see any problems, I'll remove them.

Just a heads up FYI.
    HareBrain

HareBrain Lagomorphing Staff Member

Just wondering if it's feasible to remove these in the Critiques and Writing Challenge sections? I don't mind them too much normally, and clearly revenue=good, but I find them intrusive when they pop up in the middle of someone's creative writing (sorry if that sounds really precious -- I can't think of a way of wording it so it doesn't!)
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

To be honest it's only pennies these bring in so may remove them anyway.

Planning to get the site overhauled very soon with a redesign and a few tweaks - I suspect the Skimlinks will slip away. :)
    RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet Never Sure

Meantime, clickem? :)
    chopper

chopper still alive

hmm, i did wonder - when my tag beneath my username became a hyperlink..... :)