Thom's stories_Towers of Midnight SPOILERS)

C Of K

Sunset colored eyes
I was looking through Eye of the World yesterday, and found this...

I will tell you of the end of the Age of Legends, of the Dragon, and his attempt to free the Dark One into the world of men.
This is from Eye of the World Chapter 4 The Gleeman. Thom is doing a little demonstration for the villagers of Emond's Field.

After reading Towers of Midnight, Thom's words sound almost prophetic. I was under the impression that Lanfear, and perhaps others who were searching for a new source of power had been the ones to attempt freeing the Dark One. I was not aware that Lews Therin had also.

of course, this could be a story that is just historically inaccurate, but good enough to survive the ages, but it caught my eye, now that Rand plans free the Dark One.

It's certainly a nice bit of foreshadowing, and I'd forgotten all about that bit, especially as it's so early in the series. Nice catch.:)

Thanks, Taly. I haven't done a reread in ages. I think it might be time. Towers of Midnight has put me back in the spirit, I think. I'll take my time, though, looking for other things I may have missed. Whenever I find anything I'll post them here.

I might do the same thing myself. I'm going to be taking part in a reread for another site, so I can add things here as easily as there. Who knows? We might find another big, unnoticed thing for AMoL (like Mat's Ashandarei in ToM).;):)

It could be foreshadowing or, wasn't EoTW originally written to act as a standalone, expanded to a trilogy and then expanded again? It could just be something Jordan popped in before he really went onto develop the story further.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't involved in drilling the bore at all. In fact, I'm not sure what he did do before the Dark One was let loose. Sat in the hall of servants and excelled at everything as far as I can see.

I might do the same thing myself. I'm going to be taking part in a reread for another site, so I can add things here as easily as there. Who knows? We might find another big, unnoticed thing for AMoL (like Mat's Ashandarei in ToM).;):)

Great, Taly. That'll be cool. I'm hoping we can compile a good sized list of easily missed but important developments that occurred in the other books.

It could be foreshadowing or, wasn't EoTW originally written to act as a standalone, expanded to a trilogy and then expanded again? It could just be something Jordan popped in before he really went onto develop the story further.

It's true the EotW was meant to be a stand alone in case RJ was unable to publish the other books. But I think he spent ten years bouncing ideas around in his head (and probably making notes) before he ever began writing it. RJ used to say that he could have written the very last chapter of the series before writing the very first one. If I'm remembering correctly, Brandon Sanderson may have confirmed that RJ has written the last chapter.

Everyone knows the events of the 3rd Age are meant to parallel the Age of Legends. But maybe even closer than we think. Does anyone here know whether or not the drilling of the Bore freed the Dark One completely. If it had, that would mean that the Dark One was free for the entire War of Power, which lasted 10 years. Recently, he's had an effect on the world that seems likely to destroy it in half that time, and he hasn't broken his prison bars yet.

But, if the Dark One was bound for most of the previous war, it could be that Lews Theron came to the same conclusion that Rand has, that it would be easier to win if they freed him prematurely. Of course, I just speculate, but it has been a long time since I've felt any desire to speculate about the WoT.

Of course, I just speculate, but it has been a long time since I've felt any desire to speculate about the WoT.

Please continue :). Speculation is the one thing that kept the series alive for me.
You make a good case for the foreshadowing, Rand obviously feels the need to free the dark one first. I do wonder how Thom had knowledge of something that nobody else seems to. Even if in an ancient song, I would have thought the Browns would have had some knowledge of it. Then again I suppose it's easier to dismiss something that you feel would be the worst decision ever.

I actually wonder, would removing the seals actually free the dark one? Was he walking around in the Age of Legends? If not wont removing the seal just allow him greater influence but not total freedom? I tend, to answer my own question, to feel that the dark one was not free during the war of power. The suggestion has always been that a free dark one = broken wheel. Perhaps a part of him, an avatar if you will, walked the earth and fought in the war.

I must admit, it's been a while since the last time I did a bit of speculation about the WoT. Most of the other sites I've been on have been a bit more opinionated and vocal about their theories.:) They can be fun to read, though.

I don't think that removing the seals would free the Dark One immediately. If I remember correctly, the Dark One was partially freed by Mierin (before she became Lanfear) and company when they accidentally drilled into his prison, looking for a more powerful version of the One power. If Lews Therin and his companions had enough time to create the seals and close the Bore, the Rand should have enough time to repair it, as well.

Could it also be possible that the Dark One's effects weren't as strong/as noticeable in the previous Age, due to the technology level? I'm not really sure about that thought, though.

Could it also be possible that the Dark One's effects weren't as strong/as noticeable in the previous Age, due to the technology level? I'm not really sure about that thought, though.

The Aiel (as they were then) and the Ogiers could ensure they still had food to feed themselves even if the Dark One's touch on the world was far stronger. One of Rands visions as he passed through the pillars showed this.

Good call, you guys. definitely onto something here. I believe there were green men in that vision as well.

The Great Hunt
Chapter 24
Egwene, Min, and Elayne are discussing Min's viewings.

"She says that a great deal," Elayne said dryly. "One of the things she said she saw looking at me was a severed hand. Not mine, she says. She claims she does not know what it means, either."
I find it odd that this is probably the only foreshadowing that Rand would lose his hand. For one thing it is a strange thing to foreshadow, as it is never very central to the story. It is also strange because Rand losing his hand had absolutely nothing to do with Elayne.

There is the possibility that Min sees all the bad things that will happen to Rand when she looks at Elayne, but that's unlikely. If that were the case, Elayne would look like a walking montage of images. There would be no way to see the girl behind them.

Back