Books similar to Independence Day (movie)

biodroid

A.D.D.
Are there any books out there about alien invasions similar in style, action not necessarily the same story but at least have that "spark" that the movie had?

Alien invasion, but not necessarily Independance Day. One of my personal favourites has always been Greg Bear's "The Forge of God" I love that book and have read it several times. Quite probably one of the best endings i've ever read too. It gave me a bad dream.

Hmm, that reminds me, i must dig this out and re read it again.

Alien invasion, but not necessarily Independance Day. One of my personal favourites has always been Greg Bear's "The Forge of God" I love that book and have read it several times. Quite probably one of the best endings i've ever read too. It gave me a bad dream.

Hmm, that reminds me, i must dig this out and re read it again.

I've just researched that book, it seems that it has a sequel, Anvil of Stars... now I'm interested in both of those books...

Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End has the same opening (immense alien ships hovering over the cities of the world), which inspired V which in turn inspired ID4. Clarke's book is more about a cultural invasion for (sort of) benign purposes rather than a military one, though.

David Weber's new book, Out of the Dark, has a similar vibe. Also Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series, with the twist that the alien invasion fleet arrives in 1942.

I read Anvil of Stars first and it was impressive enough for me to go back to get the Forge of God. As a preference though, i'd suggest reading them in order.

I do remember reading somewhere that there was a film option for the Forge of God. I don't know what happened to it. I also read that Greg Bear was planning to write another sequel. Well Mr. Bear? I'm still waiting.

Yeah, i read a few of the Worldwar series and did enjoy them, but i'd recommend stopping after the first three as i found that the aliens got a bit annoying after that.

This website's dangerous! Every time I come on it I end up spending money!

(just had to go and buy both Anvil and Forge!!)

I'll be very interested in your thoughts on both of these books Crooksy. :)

I've got tickets to go and see The War of the Worlds stage show in Manchester next month. It's based on the musical version by Jeff Wayne. I asked for the album (which I still have - thats's on vinyl for you youngsters) when I was 7 years old, I listened to it once and it frightened the life out of me and I didn't listen to it again until I was about 14!!!!
Rodders - I'll give you a shout once I've read them both and let you know my thoughts

Cheers

Crooksy

Wow, Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds has to be one of the best Albums ever. Superb and it still holds up now some 30 odd years on.

Just bought it again recently but on CD so I can listen to it in the car - agree with you that it stands up well even now

Are there any books out there about alien invasions similar in style, action not necessarily the same story but at least have that "spark" that the movie had?

I remember the TV commercial and trailer for Independence Day; absolutely sent a chill up my spine the first time I saw it. The theater experience was also outstanding, first time I was in a theater where the entire audience applauded.

It doesn't quite hold up as well with time; lots of re-used ideas and leaps of faith in the story, but I understand what you mean by that 'spark' (I think).

Personally I love alien invasion stories. War the Worlds remains the ultimate, but a lesser known one (and one with a somewhat religious bent but still lots of fun) was The Taken by Koonz. Different and quite creepy, particularly the first half. Crosses the SciFi border into horror but still...

If you have a Kindle or don't mind e-books, check out Amazon's list of best-selling SciFi military books. It's a little selfish of me to suggest it, but there are plenty of different takes on the invasion angle on the list:

Amazon.co.uk Books Bestsellers: The most popular items on Amazon.co.uk (Updated hourly)

Am just reading Out of the Dark by David Weber and it sounds exactly like what you are after!

Personally I love alien invasion stories. War the Worlds remains the ultimate, but a lesser known one (and one with a somewhat religious bent but still lots of fun) was The Taken by Koonz. Different and quite creepy, particularly the first half. Crosses the SciFi border into horror but still...

I read this Koontz book and besides it being a decent story I hated the end because no one knows what actually happened, it just ended.

Well he's famous for the Honor Harrington series, but this is completely different. Its set on earth in the near future - i've not been able to put this down!