Nanowrimo

I haven't even got a plot yet. And I'll need one if I'm to stand a chance of completing it. Still, loads of time before it starts.

I haven't even got a plot yet. And I'll need one if I'm to stand a chance of completing it. Still, loads of time before it starts.

Yeah - still more than 2 weeks to go! And I have a new toy to do it with (iPad) - although judging by my typing accuracy, I'm going to need the external bluetooth keyboard if I'm to have any chance of winning...

I'm still really tempted... What's a writing buddy though? I've tried looking on their site but couldn't find anything.

It's just a system that lets you hook right up with your friends on the nano site and offer encouragement, blow off steam, brag about awesome daily word counts etc. via thier site server. We can always just post here, but it's also nice to have all your friends int he one spot, whether they be Chronnies, or Locals, or Interesting Strangers Met on the Fly :)

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/search/authors

you can use that link to search for your buddies and add them. I'm BookStop :)

I'd never heard of a moo rat before.

* Expects it's a rodent living in the northern part of the IoW. *

I'll be giving the competition a miss again this year. (All in the name of tradition: I've never entered. :))

I used to be able to churn the words out (9000+ in one day, 27000+ in the week), but I'm too busy editing to generate the required numbers of new words at the moment.

The speed (or lack of same) with which I type I'd never get the words down on electrons. If I were allowed to write longhand… it's not the ideas that are slow, but the mechanics.

Perhaps I ought to look into one of the dictation transcribe programs; I believe there was one specially for dragons…?

Well it's handy to know that you can actually plot your stories before the competition!

I'm actually thinking about it this year :)

Ah man this sounds like a fantastic motivational idea - shame i simply have too much on this year. Next time round, I am there - thanks for the heads up!

Gamblor

chrispenycate, I believe your allowed to write your novel by hand and average up your total words. Then at the end of the month you can use a word generator script to paste 50k+ words in. I believe there was a story on the nanowrimo website about a guy that wrote a huge amount of words by hand and then did that. I think in my region forums last year they had a link to a word generator script even.

As for me, I participated for the first time last year and managed to win. I'm going to try again this year but I still don't have many ideas yet. Then again I had only one idea and only decided to join and do it a day before it started last year. I hope I can replicate that.

OK I have signed up under the name Vladd, I don't know if I will find the time but maybe this is the push I need to get something actually sorted out.

Planning on doing it, have a rough idea to play with but I do see myself catastrophically failing in two weeks...

Added Vladd... TDZ, am I being a wally? I can't find you on there.

Apologies to everyone who buddied me - although I did buddy people back, it turns out I probably won't have time for NaNoWriMo this year. At the risk of jinxing things... I have someone interested in the book I originally wrote for Nano 2006, so hopefully I'll be working on getting that ready for public consumption :)

Good luck everyone!

As I have said before, I really don't see the point of this.

I can only assume that the the benefits are to the site somehow and not the writer. I fail to see the point of churning out 50000 words of tripe, that the site freely admits, is purely about the quantity and not the quality.

If people want to write, that's fine, but do it for the love of writing not some weird, irrelevant, arbitrary target set by someone who plainly has no interest in the work submitted.

All this seems to be is a wasteful distraction from what could be productive work for a real attempt at a novel.

Even if you only achieve 100 words towards your ultimate goal of a publishable novel, it's a far better way of using the time rather than this farce.

It seems to me you could write out 5000 lines of :-

I must not waste my time on stupid writing exercises.

Add a title and a bit of background -

Bill a naughty schoolboy went to school one day and was naughty. The teacher made him do hard writing work as a punishment.

Bill started to write out what the teacher said he must do

Then just cut and paste the quote above.

And they would still send you an acknowledgment for your fine effort.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fiberglass Cyborg Writing Discussion 8
Harpo Writing Discussion 12
A Writing Discussion 22
Phyrebrat Writing Discussion 30
SPoots Writing Discussion 138