Business over Biscuit not a Barrel of Laughs

Discussion in 'World affairs' started by Ursa major, Oct 8, 2010.

Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

purple_kathryn

purple_kathryn Uberly purple

It was in County Fermanagh though.

HareBrain

HareBrain Lagomorphing Staff Member

She was a relative of the child too. Prepare for a flood of cases involving parents who've starved their children to death so as not to be thought grooming them.

Artists discovered perspective as long ago as the Renaissance. One wonders when society at large is going to catch up.

Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

Storm in a tea cup (with biscuits!) No, they were wrong and they have been told to apologise. What they thought they were doing, who knows? I think the real question has to be will this happen again and what steps have been taken to prevent that?

Harebrain - it is a fact that the majority of abusers are family members or family friends and not strangers.

I heard this on the radio, my problem was the overuse of the phrase "Political Correctness Gone Mad".

Ursa major

I understand - see BBC News - Gove to tackle schools' 'no touch' rules - that the government is looking at the actions teachers can take.

Added to this case, I imagined the following scene:

:eek::eek:

soulsinging

soulsinging the dude abides

What is a dinner lady? And what is grooming?

Your British slang always sounds so prim and proper... I get the impression this is supposed to be a bad thing, but a dinner lady grooming a student sounds like the kind of quaint problem our schools would beg to have, hehe.

Ursa major

Are you suggesting that the activity may risk involving a brush with the law?

purple_kathryn

purple_kathryn Uberly purple

Dinner lady = someone who serves lunch at the school canteen

Grooming = manipulating a child for (ultimately) sexual purposes. The phrase is normally used for child molesters who lurk in chat rooms pretending to be children to "befriend" kids

Lacivetta

Lacivetta New Member

It is horribly euphemistic though...

Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

Well not quite. Those would be cooks and catering assistants. The PC name for Dinner Ladies is now 'Mid Day Supervisor'. They supervise the children while the Teachers eat, make sure they behave and eat all their vegetables. They are mostly mothers of the children since the hours suit someone with young children at school. Many of them are also teaching assistants at the same time, and some of those may wish to qualify as teachers some day.

J-WO

J-WO Pretentious Avatar Alert.

Perhaps we should play it safe and turn everyone in Britain into Daleks.