Need a mountaineer?

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
Following on from Elizabeth's "Need a scientist?". I thought I would add this one.

Crossing mountain ranges often seems to be a popular pastime in fantasy novels and in my experience is frequently handled in completely unrealistic ways.

I have climbed extensively in the European Alps and also in the Andes and the Himalayas. I have done a lot of ascents up glaciers (depending on the altitude and type of mountain involved these can have very different characters), climbed mountains on both one day ascents and multiple day ascents, skiied up and down mountains and glaciers (off piste rather than on and yes you can ski up a mountain).

So I am very familiar with altitude sickness (a factor almost totally ignored by most fantasy books), the technicalities and practicalities of climbing and all the myriad dangers involved (falling, avalanche, rockfall, crevasses). So if anyone wants any background info on mountains please feel free to ask!

You lucky, lucky person...

If my six numbers ever come up, there is no way I will let anything stand in the way of my life-long desire to stand in Concordia...*sigh*

So I am very familiar with altitude sickness (a factor almost totally ignored by most fantasy books), the technicalities and practicalities of climbing and all the myriad dangers involved (falling, avalanche, rockfall, crevasses). So if anyone wants any background info on mountains please feel free to ask!

Excellent Vertigo! A friend and I are going to challenge Kilimanjaro this time next year. I am especially interested in altitude sickness. Also, at the slightest hint of cold, even in summer, the ends of some of my fingers turn white and go numb.

Um – Lackey's characters in "Owlknight" suffer from altitude sickness, Bujold's in "The curse of Chalion, and mine, both on terra firma building the long-range semaphore stations and flying on dragons.

But the use of ropes for climbing is relatively recent; only a few centuries ago (when technology was at least as advanced as in the mediaeval-based fantasy environments) they were carrying ladders with them for the steep spots (or at least the servants were). Strangely enough, on the flat or as close to flat as we generally manage, on peaux de phoque (literally "seal skin", cross country skis) they were already tying themselves together so as not to lose anyone.

I suppose that, to climb Everest, they'd have built a very tall scaffolding tower…

Pyan - if you are not actually planning to climb any of the mountains there and don't mind doing the organisation yourself (with a bunch of friends rather than a package) then you might be surprised how cheaply you can do it.

Mosaix - I've never been up Kilimanjaro myself but although there are glaciers there I don't think you spend all that much time above the snowline. The white fingers and numbness does sound like poor circulation and if you are likely to spend any time in a very cold area then it is something to watch. Get good mountain mittens. Harder to handle stuff but your hands will stay warmer. None of this has any bearing on AMS (acute mountain sickness) it is only frostnip/bite issues you should be concerned with there - relatively easily managed with appropriate clothing. I did rescue a French climber in the Alps one winter coming down off a climb. He had been stuck for about an hour or so when we came across him and by the time we got him back to the hut, maybe a couple of hours later, he had frostbite on the tips of all his fingers. Got helicoptered to hospital in the night, leaving us to continue our descent the next day :mad:

If you do want to know more about AMS I can tell you a fair bit. It is something still very poorly understood by scientists and they have absolutely no way of telling who is likely to suffer and who isn't, physical fitness seems to have no bearing on it at all. I, unfortunately, suffer from it really badly and after taking part in some medical research in Glasgow where we were exercised to exhaustion at sea level and at simulated altitude (breathing mask fed with reduced oxygen supply), they told me I had one of the top performances at sea level in the study group and the ABSOLUTE WORST at altitude; they recommended that I should never try going above 6000m (20,000ft). And I choose mountaineering for a hobby :eek:

Chrispy - I don't deny that some do deal with the issues properly, just that many don't. Re ropes; even in the early days they did tend to tie themselves together, at least for the harder passages but you are right in the context of fantasy novels they probably wouldn't bother. Also a rope without the modern gear for anchoring it has a tendency towards 'one off all off". An excellent example of this was on the first ascent of the Matterhorn when one of the party fell and took three others with him to their deaths, it is likely that all would have died except that the rope to the remaining four including Whymper snapped! However glacier crossing (at least snow covered glacier crossing) is one of the more dangerous aspects where even back then they would typcially would tie together. This is probably why you have come across cross country skiers doing this. Typically cross country skiers using 'skins' (nowadays artificial rather than the original seal's for the animal lovers) might tie themselves together if crossing a glacier (risk of falling into crevasses, though much less risk than on foot without your weight spread across the area of ski) or crossing a lake in early or late season (rather obvious risk of going through the ice). I do ski touring/mountaineering as well :D

I suppose that, to climb Everest, they'd have built a very tall scaffolding tower…

A technique used by the Germans on an early attempt on one of the Himalayan biggies (I don't recall which one) involved the use of dynamite to blow out a ledge for a camp! Not sure that would be approved of on Everest :eek: (or any other mountain nowadays for that matter).

It was the Argentine expedition to Dhaulagiri in 1954, according to Kurt Diemberger...

One of Diemberger’s favorite tales is of an expedition by the Argentinean military.
When the team reached 7,200 metres there was no place to set up camp. So it blasted the rock with dynamite to make a flat space, Diemberger said, chuckling.
Diemberger recalls first ascent of Dhaulagiri 50 years ago - UIAA - Last News

At least they didn't go to the extremes that Maestri did on Cerro Torre...

In 1971, Cesare Maestri extended the logic of drilling the impossible to its ultimate limit, and hauled a 300 pound air compressor and pneumatic rock drill for his climb to the rim of Cerro Torre. In one spot, a place where a previous British attempt traveled up the exposed, natural cracks on the southeast buttress, Maestri simply drilled his way across blank rock for 90 meters to stay out of the wind!
http://www.bigwalls.net/climb/mechadv/index.html

:eek::D

Ah yes I do remember now that it was Dhaulagiri though I had it lodged it in my head that it was the Germans. Oh well things do get a little more vague as you get older :eek:

And yes I had heard about the Cerro Torre 'incident'. Some of the ethics of climbing have been distinctly dodgy over the years! And, for example, I still maintain that since many have now climbed Everest without oxygen, using oxygen on any mountain is ethically wrong and is simply cheating and effectively reducing the height of the mountain, not to mentioned, in the case of Everest, exacerbating the environmental mess that is the South Col.

I always choose to send my characters across mountains with good roads so that they don't have to scramble up and down cliffs and they can take the horses with them.

Now that I have someone to provide answers to questions, maybe in the next book I'll make them do something more daring.

I always choose to send my characters across mountains with good roads so that they don't have to scramble up and down cliffs and they can take the horses with them.
Very sensible too! No sane person would choose galciated mountain passes if a lower easier route is available. That said there is evidence of ancient man crossing the galciers in the Alps:

Ötzi the Iceman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'Otzi' died on a glacier over 5000 years ago.

Now that I have someone to provide answers to questions, maybe in the next book I'll make them do something more daring.

You are more than welcome to ask away!

Vertigo,
I'm lucky. First a molecular biologist when I needed one, now a climber.
I have a couple of questions...
1. How high could a man free climb in an hour? He's in good shape and has enough experience to be confident. It's not a challenging climb. There are plenty of firm handholds. He starts from close to sea level, at a temp of 35C. He has blue shoes and a tattoo of Buffy on his shoulder. Okay, the last bit isn't true.
2. Once up, how quickly could he abseil to the bottom?
3. I've looked up enough for this to know what an ascender is. Has anyone ever invented a mechanical ascender to drag lazy people or a rope? If not, I've invented a fictional one.
Thanks
(sorry if this double posts, I had connection issues)

Now I see why you're a Mad Mountain Man...

Re AMS: can someone get it at, say 3,000 metres? And am I correct in saying the frostbite only happens because the blood supply withdraws from the extremities to keep the core warm, and the tissue therefore freezes? Why does it always look black? And what is the best way to treat it if there's two of you, in a forest, one can light a fire, and there's a small shelter, a bit like a wigwam?

I read 'Into Thin Air' once and that put me off mountains forever...

Thanks Vertigo (which I never suffer from, but just don't like going up mountains. I like helicopters, and other heights, though.)

Last edited:
I always think of that Monty Python sketch when I think of mountaineers - both of them!

Vertigo,
I'm lucky. First a molecular biologist when I needed one, now a climber.
I have a couple of questions...
1. How high could a man free climb in an hour? He's in good shape and has enough experience to be confident. It's not a challenging climb. There are plenty of firm handholds. He starts from close to sea level, at a temp of 35C. He has blue shoes and a tattoo of Buffy on his shoulder. Okay, the last bit isn't true.
2. Once up, how quickly could he abseil to the bottom?
3. I've looked up enough for this to know what an ascender is. Has anyone ever invented a mechanical ascender to drag lazy people or a rope? If not, I've invented a fictional one.
Thanks
(sorry if this double posts, I had connection issues)

1. I've never really sat down and figured this out, but assuming it is relatively steep but not too difficult a fit solo climber would probably climb around 300-400m in an hour. Incidentally, technically, free climbing is not used to describe the type of climbing I think you mean here. Free climbing means only that you are not using artifical aids such as a peg hammered into the rock to stand on. Free climbing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia A free climber would normally still use ropes and such like for protection and would be much slower, probably no more than 100m in an hour. I am assuming you mean solo climbing - that is with no aids and no protection, just you climbing on your own.

2. How fast he could abseil would depend on how long his rope is. Typical climbing ropes are 50-60m (and are not that light). Assuming he is carrying one rope of 50m then he can only make a maximum abseil of 25m (the rope must be doubled so it can be pulled through and used for the next pitch) so he will have to make at least 12 abseils (assuming 300m). Each abseil would only take a couple of minutes but then pulling through the rope and setting up the next would take another couple of minutes so in total it would not be much quicker than going up, which is about typical in my experience. It would be even slower if there were two of them, obviously, as only one can abseil on a rope at a time. In the mountains we always try to down-climb rather than abseil as it is much quicker. So if your climb is not too hard it might be better to do that. Another point is that you can probably half the height climbed if it is dark or wet (I know you author types - always like a bit of darkness and rain for excitement).

3. An ascender is essentially a ratchet that goes up the rope but not down. Given two of them it is possible to ascend a thin rope even if it is hanging completely free. You may have seen them being used in documentaries set in jungles where they are typically used to ascend into the jungle canopy. However it could not be used on its own to haul up a 'lazy' climber. Assuming they are least making some effort, the easiest way to help them would be to simply tie a rope to them and haul from above, assisting their own efforts. For a completely incapacitated climber a pulley system can be set up using a few carabiners and some short bits of rope. With such a system one man can haul another vertically up - it's hard work but do-able (I've done it). Incidentally you can easily make an ascender from a second peice of thinner rope around 1m long and a couple of 'special' knots. You don't actually need a mechanical ascender.

Now I see why you're a Mad Mountain Man...

Re AMS: can someone get it at, say 3,000 metres? And am I correct in saying the frostbite only happens because the blood supply withdraws from the extremities to keep the core warm, and the tissue therefore freezes? Why does it always look black? And what is the best way to treat it if there's two of you, in a forest, one can light a fire, and there's a small shelter, a bit like a wigwam?

I read 'Into Thin Air' once and that put me off mountains forever...

Thanks Vertigo (which I never suffer from, but just don't like going up mountains. I like helicopters, and other heights, though.)

What height someone gets AMS depends on a lot of factors. Different people are affected at different heights. The more exertion you do, the more likely you are to be affected. How well acclimatised you are; going straight from sea level to altitude is bad, ascend slowly over several days/weeks (depending on the height) and you won't get it at all. As I've said before I suffer badly from AMS and if I go out to the Alps by car and go straight up to 3000m the next day (as I have done too often) then I will perform really badly and will be in a bad way that night (actually I will be bad like this at just 2500m with no acclimatisation). The AMS symptoms are not instant as you gain height. If you climb up and then descend immediately you will not suffer them at all (other than breathlessness). However if I climb rapidly to 3000m then stay the night I will suffer; Headaches that make the worst hangover seem like a party, feels like your eyes are going to pop out of their sockets, nausea, sometimes actual vomiting, complete loss of appetite. My girlfriend loves it - she says it's the only time she can easily out perform me in the hills .

You're partially right on the frostbite front. The process you describe is more commonly associated with the onset of hypothermia (another killer). However frostbite (and the milder frostnip) are partially caused by the same mechanism. In this case the body is not trying to protect it's core temperature as with hypothermia. You can get frostbite whilst you actually feel quite warm. What happens is that the surface blood vessels constrict in respone to extreme cold, this means that any exposed skin starts receiving less blood and so cools even further eventually resulting in the skin being frozen which starts to kill the cells. As to why they turn black, I'm not too sure, just dead I guess.

The best treatment is rewarming, the quicker the better, but not so fast as to cause burns. However this should not be done at all if there is a chance of the tissue refreezing as then even more damage will be done. To do this you can simply get the person into a warm environment wrap them up and let their body do the warming. Remember this is not hypothermia the rest of their body is quite possibly still warm. Alternatively you can bathe the affected parts in warm water. Easy enough if it is fingers or toes, not so easy if it is ears, nose or cheeks which are other common locations. Normally we would immediately start you on a course of antibiotics as infection is a big risk early on. After that, believe it or not, it is best to leave the body to do its thing. Even with modern medicine frostbite is typically left until what is going to drop off has dropped off! A bit grim I know but that is the normal approach. Eventually anything that hasn't dropped off but is now kind of in the way (like bones which actually will end up openly exposed to the air!) might be amputated. But this will not usually be done until several months later unless there is infection or gangrene. In a low tech setting, you are not going to have antibiotics so infection becomes much more likely and consequently amputation becomes more likely.
Hope that helps! And yes 'Into Thin Air' is an interesting read (try Touching the Void by Joe Simpson for another and possibly better one).
By the way, for anyone who has seen Vertical Limit, the only treatment for AMS or HAPE and HACE (the more serious successors to AMS) is to descend... fast... faster still! All that stuff with the syringes of glucose (or whatever it was supposed to be) is complete and utter tosh. Once you have HAPE or HACE you have to descend fast... if you don't you die, simple! There are some drugs that stimulate your heart so more blood is pumped which can give you a little more time (I always carry these on high altitude climbs), but that is all they can do. You descend or die. AMS is not deadly and I treat as an inconvenience and a warning. If it is bad then I shouldn't go higher until I'm better acclimatised otherwise I run a much greater risk of the more serious edemas; HAPE and HACE.

Thanks Vertigo,
You are correct, solo climbing is the more apt name for what my character is doing.
It's a good thing I asked about the abseiling. He needs to come down a lot faster than he went up, so I suppose longer, lighter ropes are the answer. It's SF, so I'll, er, invent them.

Note re constricted blood vessels at extremities: use lukewarm to warm water, do not rewarm using hot water! this can cause chilblains which are very painful, and the devil to heal, and once you've had them you can get "relapses" quite easily due to the tissue damage. Not that I did that to myself or anything. *shifty look*

Thanks Vertigo,
You are correct, solo climbing is the more apt name for what my character is doing.
It's a good thing I asked about the abseiling. He needs to come down a lot faster than he went up, so I suppose longer, lighter ropes are the answer. It's SF, so I'll, er, invent them.

Yes, people are often surprised how slow abseiling can be, and that doesn't even touch on the problems of the rope jamming in a crack whilst being pulled through. I had to climb about 30m once to free a jammed rope, all the time knowing that if the rope came free on it's own whilst I was on it I was likely to fall a long way! It's the faffing around at each pitch that costs time. Since it is SF one idea would be to have some sort of monofilament cord in a reel. Such a thing could have postentially hundreds of metres of cord in a very small reel. This real could have a friction release so the reel effectively lowers you rather than actually abseiling. This sort of technology has popped up in numerous SF stories.

Another problem with abseiling is that if you go too fast it can generate a lot of heat. With classic abseiling (no special equipment just the rope wrapped around your back and leg for friction) you should only do it with natural fibre clothes; synthetics are liable to melt! Even with natural fibres you need to take it easy. With metal abseiling devices you still have to watch it. I came across an example where an abseiler had gone too fast and at the bottom his abseil device was so hot it literally melted the rope when it stopped moving through!

All that said most readers would not raise an eyebrow at a statement like "he abseiled down in half the time it took him to climb up". Only a climber would be a little surprised by it and we tend to be very used to seeing climbing inaccuracies in books and films :rolleyes:. All depends on how realistic you want it to be. Interestingly one of the more accurate depictions of climbing in big box-office films is the Eiger Sanction, surprising though that may be!

Note re constricted blood vessels at extremities: use lukewarm to warm water, do not rewarm using hot water! this can cause chilblains which are very painful, and the devil to heal, and once you've had them you can get "relapses" quite easily due to the tissue damage. Not that I did that to myself or anything. *shifty look*

If you have frostbite than you are actually a little beyond chilblains when it comes to rewarming. However you are right in that it is a bit of a balance; you want to warm as quickly as possible to limit the damage done but too warm and the the temperature difference will literally cause burns even if it is not so hot that you would expect that. It IS VERY painful! In hospitals:

Active rewarming is usually achieved by immersing the injured tissue in a water-bath that is held between 40 - 42 C

Though there is a lot of variation in treatment around the world.