International Publishing

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Pebblefoot, Sep 16, 2010.

Pebblefoot

Pebblefoot Pebblefoot

Hi, I'm new here, and I've got an interesting question (I hope!)

I am an American but I live in Taiwan. I've written a novel and want to self-publish it. I've found a good printer here and am now looking at buying my ISBN package and bar codes.

My question is, should I buy my ISBN numbers here in Taiwan or in the US? If I copyright my novel in the US, does it matter where I buy my ISBN numbers? In other words, buy purchasing an ISBN in Taiwan, am I publishing it in Taiwan? I'm self-publishing and my company is called Pebblefoot Press. I don't have a business license in Taiwan, but am buying one in the US.

I know this is a complicated question and some other published writers I've asked aren't sure of the answer, either.

Mostly, I'd like to keep everything in one country, probably the US. I'll ask the printer next week if they can see if it makes any difference. My only worry is that if I try to sell it here, but it's not published here, I'll run into some kind of snag?? (Maybe I worry too much.)

Thanks for you feedback!
    :)
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

I suspect there are tax issues related to the decision. I'd definitely recommend your accountant advise, just to ensure you are on the right side of the relevant tax authorities.