Please help me find the title of this film! Infection/Pandemic/Zombie (ish)

sankofa

Apologies if there is a better place to post this, but I am trying to track down the title of a film. It's been bugging me for years now and - although I'm normally pretty good with internet searches - this one evades me.

It's probably not even a particularly good film but I'd love to watch it again to find out as it was my first exposure to the infection/pandemic genre.

I saw it on TV in my teens so it was probably made 80s - early 90s. It was pretty much a teen movie, at least I remember a lot of the actors being teens. American I'm guessing. Some kind of outbreak occurred and it turned out that anyone who had been protected by lead at the time was healthy, (I think one guy had been doing the nasty in the back of his lead-lined truck) anyone else was a vampire/zombie/?? that needed to feast on blood. I remember the kids breaking into a department store really excited that there were no rules and I think there was some laboratory they all ended up going to...

and that's about it.. pitiful, I know.. but it's driving me mad so any help is much appreciated!

Sounds like Night of the Comet, an early role for Voyager's Robert Beltran

It's definitely Night of the Comet. The two girls who break into the department store, and put on a fashion show to the sound of 'Girls Wanna Have Fun', avoided being turned into zombies from the comet's rays because they'd been in a steel-lined projection booth at a cinema.

I LOVE you guys! Thank you!! I really didn't expect anyone to get it from what little I remembered.. (I've been away so haven't had chance to respond earlier)
:)