forgot author and title

chantelv

Please help. Wishing to reread a Fantasy book written in the mid to late 1990s or early 2000s. Premise is female main character is learning fire magic when she is suddenly told she is to marry a prince/king of a kingdom. She goes and marries him, ending up falling in love. As he rules, she begins to learn the ways of his country and gains respect of many as she makes suggestions to help settle differences between the people seeking the king's help.

Problem- the king can't actually claim the throne until he has an heir, and she has had great difficulty getting pregnant. As a last resort, she works a dangerous fire spell that cleanses her body and helps her to conceive.

2nd problem- king's brother (illegitimate? estranged?) tries to take over the throne using a magic of his own (and I think he was partly being controlled or manipulated by some dark force or magic) and she saves her husband from death and ultimately he regains control of his country.

I hope I have not put two book plots together...it has been a long while since reading this and I might have put a bit of the Green Rider series into it. Any help you can give would be great! Thanks.

The first part definitely sounds like 'Dragon Prince' by Melanie Rawn. I don't remember the sequel books as well as Dragon Prince itself, but the second part does sound like it comes from the same series.

The first part definitely sounds like 'Dragon Prince' by Melanie Rawn. I don't remember the sequel books as well as Dragon Prince itself, but the second part does sound like it comes from the same series.

I have to disagree with that. Sioned never conceived a child. The heir was concieved on another woman and to find out more, read or reread the books.

I have to disagree with that. Sioned never conceived a child. The heir was concieved on another woman and to find out more, read or reread the books.

Yes, that is true - however, there was fire involved and I can see where a fuzzy memory would mix that up.