Failure of Lovecraft's Project: 3 of 3

Lovecraft wants to belittle the human. Other than scaring readers, that is probably his primary agenda item. He seeks to belittle the human by describing the immense universe that we humans, "so puny and insignificant," observe.

But in fact there is no universe without an observer, according to physicist John Wheeler. Here's an article from Discover:

http://discovermagazine.com/2002/jun/featuniverse

See Berman and Lanza's Biocentrism as well. Here's another Discover article:

http://discovermagazine.com/2009/may/01-the-biocentric-universe-life-creates-time-space-cosmos

The very universe that Lovecraft points to, to belittle the human, exists in an inextricable relationship with the human.

I understand that many people find this hard to grasp.

Moreover many people do not want it to be true. For various reasons, it is distasteful to them to think that humans do matter so much after all.

Please read and digest these articles first before continuing the discussion.

When Lovecraft is speaking of cosmic horror, he is in my opinion reffering to a philosophical-psychological concept which is centerd in human conciousness (The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. These facts few psychologists will dispute, and their admitted truth must establish for all time the genuineness and dignity of the weirdly horrible tale as a literary form. ... With this foundation, no one need wonder at the existence of a literature of cosmic fear. It has always existed, and always will exist... ) not to a concept which is centred around natural scientfic statements concerning the empirical dimensions of space. Most people believe there is a world outside of us wether human exists or dont, so they think world would continue to exist even if there are no observers. Maybe Observers modify the world they observe simply by observing, but this is another, not really important question for human existence (this is much more a question for theoretical physics).

I'm not sure I have a lot to add to the above discussion, but since the other two threads on HPL's project have been reactivated, I'll make this one more readily available by commenting here.

OK, here's another. Note that Chrons policy prohibits arguments about religion and politics.