Yes, I'm new

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kayleigh, Aug 12, 2010.

Kayleigh

Kayleigh New Member

Hello, everyone.

I've actually been here for a few days, reading your posts and lurking, but now that I have an account, I might as well introduce myself..

Kayleigh isn't my real name, but it sounds fun, so I'll keep it. I am a russian girl, and I do actually live in Saint Petersburg, Russia. I've learned english on my own, on the internet, and I can even speak it well in real conversations.

To continue my study of the language, I've decided to try writing, and that eventually brought me here, which I am thankfull for.

Oh and, I do like pringles, but 75 words story isn't really my thing :)
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

*Manages to stop Freda just in time.*

Ask politely, you eight-legged scrounge. Welcome aboard, Freda's very friendly, particularly, when people have pringles to share.:rolleyes:
    Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

Welcome Kayleigh and I must say your written English is pretty darn good for self-taught! Just don't expect too high a standard of English from all of us native English speakers on here. I would imagine (hope) that most of the aspiring writers here have very good English. But outside of that mine for example can be pretty atrocious at times :D.

Have fun!
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

Darn! A pre-emptive strike against my nagging... er... very helpful suggestions for useful writing exercises. This is what comes of allowing these newbies to look at other introductions threads -- they become inoculated against the virus that is the 75 Word Writing Challenge which is spreading ominously throughout the entire Chronicles community. *considers the possibility of preventing newbies seeing anything but large signs pointing to THE 75 WORD WRITING CHALLENGE*

Well, Kayleigh, Welcome to the Chronicles and all that. Make yourself at home. Drag up a chair and rest your feet. That's it, have a good yawn. It's tiring reading all these posts. You are feeling sleepy... very sleepy... soon you will be asleep but you will remember everything that is said to you about visiting a certain very important part of the Aspiring Writers Forum...

Anyway, if 75-word short stories as practised in the 75 Word Short Story Writing Challenge aren't your thing, what is? We need to know where to slot you in, y'know. We can't have you just wandering around all lost. Who knows where you might end up?!
    Kayleigh

Kayleigh New Member

*wakes up* Oh yes, I must do the 75 now.

I am not sure where I stand yet, but writing a very short story is harder than writing a longer one, for every word must be right, in order to convey the feeling you'd want to express.

I might give 75 a try (damn hypnosis is too convincing), but I like wandering around lost. Like you said, you never know where you might end up ;)

Thank you for your support everyone.
    Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

There's a reason why we limit it to 75 words. It's a monthly challenge.

And welcome around to Chrons, Kayleigh. Try not to spend too much time here or else time will spend you here.
    Kayleigh

Kayleigh New Member

Oh yes, I know, Karn.
    That was exactly my point, I am not ready to face that challenge. I've never written anything yet..

But I gave it a try :)
    Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Goblin Princess Staff Member

And you did very well indeed for someone who had never written something before. A lot of people who didn't think they could do it have been pleasantly surprised.

I'm glad you followed up on The Judge's subtle ... practically impenetrable ... hints.
    Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

Am I allowed to laugh at this? :eek::eek::D:cool:
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

No. My subtle hints are not at all sniggerable.

Kayleigh, not merely a 75 word story, but a very good story at that! *stops to consider whether it is in fact sensible to encourage talented people who will be competing for votes which might otherwise have gone to me...*

Clearly the mesmeric effects of my nagging... er... subtle hints... are potent indeed. Hmmm. I shall have to try this technique elsewhere -- perhaps in readiness for voting...

Karn... pull up a chair and rest that poorly leg of yours... have a good yawn... it's very tiring reading all these posts...
    Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

Rest my poorly leg?

I would rather it not be on a chair. :p I would rather not be reminded of the traction I had to go through from November 15-18. :(

Tiring reading all the posts, but intellectual activity always is. I don't think those who use their backs far more than their brains can appreciate how tiring it really can be.
    SpaceShip

SpaceShip Outta sight

Welcome Kayleigh. I hope you enjoy it here. Your English is very very good!
    chrispenycate

chrispenycate resident pedantissimo Staff Member

Vaguely puzzled look.

If you learnt it from the internet, how do you know that you speak it well? Not that I'm disbelieving you, understand, and you certainly seem to have mastered the written form, but English spelling is not the most phonetic, and there are numerous opinions on pronunciation (of which I am not attemptin to push my own, by the way.Of course I consider it correct -- I wouldn't use it otherwise -- but some of our friends from Texas, or Australia, might find it a bit hard to follow. And communication is the raison d'etre of language.

Oh, sorry. That has nothing to do with welcoming you in, obviously; but as the Judge had already bullied you -- I mean, obviously, politely persuaded you -- into joining the seventy-five worder, you are obviously too far gone for the warnings, don't require seventy-fiving and, as I'm not here at present, can't be steered to the photo challenge.

Oh, the warnings? Just the normal details of the addictiveness and time consuming nature of the place, you shouldn't have any problems, St. Petersburg in summer is a great place to train in sleep deprivation, and you didn't have any pressing social matters which couldn't be put of, did you? You know the sort -- walking the kids, feeding the dog, that sort of thing.

Welcome in, by the way; and just because you escaped her honour's interrogation by submitting to the seventy-five doesn't mean we wouldn't like to know more about which authors and/or subgenres interest you. It aids our targeting mechanism, our ability to tailor suggestions to your particular tastes. Or peculiar tastes; nobody expects you to be conventional (or particularly sane) here. Well, given the diversity of viewpoints here, probably someone does, but it is in no way a majority viewpoint.

You came here to improve your English? Would you like it if people pointed out -- ideosyncracies -- in your word and grammar use, as ordinarily only happens in critiques? We have ane excellent nit picking service and mmft grrff sttppt...
    Kayleigh

Kayleigh New Member

Hello, chrispenycate.

I started learning English on the internet, and made quite a few friends. Some of them were eventually curious to speak to me, so we used Skype (voice chat). Of course after I mastered some basics, I went on reading books, and watching movies. It's not quite legal but internet allowed me to get a hold on many movies and shows in their original language, and I loved it. To be honest, I also practiced talking to myself, for awhile, which made me feel kind of crazy.. I do have an accent, but I can speak and people seem to understand me (unless they're all pretending). My secret is that I don't (or try not to) spell the words I don't know how to pronounce ;)

Any help in word and grammar use would be appreciated. (it's idiosyncrasies btw -- had to google that one). I am more confused with punctuation, specifically -- , --, as we have many rules in Russian for it, but not all of them seem to apply to English (I also don't quite remember half of the Russian ones).

As to my interests, I am more into fantasy than in SF. Currently I am reading "A Song of Ice and Fire" and loving it. And of SF, I really love Doctor Who. It's not a book, but it's one of my most favorite shows ever.

For now, I think I'll just lurk and read all the smart things you guys say here :D
    Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

Don't worry too much about them pesky commas (,) I reckon most (non-writing) English speakers are totally confused about when to put commas in and when to leave them out - I know I am. Never, managed to, get it, figured, properly :eek:.
    chrispenycate

chrispenycate resident pedantissimo Staff Member

Ooops. Sorry about that. It was not a test to see if you were concentrating, really. I'll put it down to not being on my own computer, and a UK English keyboard, while I'm generally on a Swiss french (which is no excuse at all; the punctuation's driving me nutser (do not attempt to Google this word if it's not obvious from context), but the "c" and "s" are in the same place). But do join in; you've made a great start, and you learn more by participating than observing; here, at any rate. And it's more fun. And even if I'm not a GRRM fan, there is no shortage of those who are.

But, relative to English, written Russian (like written German) is a relatively young, thus fairly consistent language. And I have sworn a mighty oath to keep my corrections to the critiques forum, and not complain about anything less than textspeak. The --s are because I don't know how to make this keyboard produce me an m dash, and dashes, in the "do as I say, not as I do" writing set up are generally to be avoided -- you can generally find another way to seperate segments of a concept.

And if it should happen that you have difficulty following something I say, do not worry. The same can be said for a majority of those for whom English is the mother tongue. I have drifted off the linguistic mainline over the decades, and now inhabit a linguistic backwater with a population of -- very approximately -- (there you are. They separate off a lump in the middle of a sentence, just as if they were parentheses {backets}. Since I nest ideas, rather than using footnotes, they get overused) -- one.
    Interference

Interference Destroyer of Words

Okay, I'm repressing a vast amount of admiration for you English skills - learned on-line!!!!??

And, I guess you've already noticed that there are loads of threads here that will allow you to practice such skills as creating characters from a name, continuing stories that someone else begins, describing emotional states of mind or scenes, a veritable wonderland of word-games and sillinesses (which isn't really a word, so please don't be tempted to use it too often :eek:)

And ... welcome :)
    Rosemary

Rosemary The Wicked Sword Maiden

Greetings and Welcome to The Chronicles :)

You are doing very well with your English, far more than I am with my Russian which consists of one word!

I've always wanted to visit St. Petersburg, the history of it sounds very interesting.
    Kayleigh

Kayleigh New Member

Hey, Interference!

I've only been to Aspiring Writers section so far (people there kept pushing every newbie to Introductions, so I went before I was told to :D). The size of this forum intimidates me, and I haven't poked around yet. For as much communication as I do online, I've never been a part of a forum community. I've been told that only trolls live here ;)

As to learning online, I love this language, and maybe that's why it's been easy. It is also a great fun, for I keep all my notes in english, and no one in my family (or friends) can peek at it.

Hey, Rosemary

St. Petersburg is a nice city, we get a lot of tourists in summer months. This summer it's been too hot to my taste though, with high humidity it is very tiring :( The best time to visit is early September.
    Dr.Jackson

Dr.Jackson Certified Space Monkey

Hello and Welcome to the Chrons!