Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ComradeButtons, Aug 12, 2010.

ComradeButtons

ComradeButtons New Member

Hello, everyone. I've been looking for a forum like this for a while now, and am glad to have found one with such nice and helpful people.

I'm 24 and from the USA (yep, I'm a yank). I've been trying to write a book since I was about sixteen years old, but in the last two years or so I've managed to settle on a plot and characters I really love.

Well, that's all for now. I hope to get to know more of you in the future.

C. Buttons
    SpaceShip

SpaceShip Outta sight

Hi CB - welcome to the Chrons. Do you know a ComradeCinderella?
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Hi and welcome aboard.:)

Got pringles ?

Don't mind Freda, she's mostly harmless.:rolleyes:
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

Hello, again!

I hope you're settling in nicely. Now to start nagging... er... suggesting some things you might like to do as you're an aspiring writer. Firstly, ever tried writing a short story? We're great believers in them and in particular in http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/528370-august-writing-challenge-75-words-read-first-post.html What could be simpler -- a story in the SFF genre with the theme of "Time" and in no more than 75 words. Easy peasy... We've had four months of the Writing Challenge now, read through them all and be amazed at our collective talent. There's also a Discussion thread where we amuse ourselves while waiting for inspiration to strike and/or the next challenge to begin. All of those delights are to be found in Workshop in Aspiring Writers.

There's also the Critiques Forum. As and when you've become part of the furniture you might want to show us a bit of your work. In the meantime, have a good look at what others have posted and how their stuff has been critiqued. Have a think about giving a critique yourself, perhaps -- reading someone else's piece with a view to seeing why it does or doesn't work can give great insights into one's own work. If you've never critiqued before, there's an excellent beginners' guide here http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/527581-some-tips-for-those-who-are-new-or.html

There. That'll keep you busy for a while. Well, you weren't expecting to have any kind of social life now you've found us, were you??
    Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

Hello and welcome to the madhouse
    Interference

Interference Destroyer of Words

Welcome, I hope you'll find plenty to inspire and encourage you while you're here.
    nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

welcome
    Rosemary

Rosemary The Wicked Sword Maiden

Greetings and Welcome to The Chronicles, CB :)
    chrispenycate

chrispenycate resident pedantissimo

Welcome. Not all our transatlantic members are Yanks, you know several from Texas and other points south of the Mason-Dixon line. Not, obviously, that there is any preju -- let's start that over, shall we?

Welcome to diversity in unity. You weren't involved in anything important, like family or sleeping, were you? Because this place is somewhat time consuming. And addictive. And stimulating the purchase of ever more books you don't have time to read -- especially not now when logging off inspires rejection symptoms.

Still, "helpful" describes enough of the residents here to be acceptable adjective, but nice? Anyone here accept the label 'nice'?

Um, yes, probably see you around.
    The Judge

Certainly.

It's a nice point, perhaps, but isn't there a nice distinction between fastidious and scrupulous?

Anyway, see, we're both nice, Chris. But not like biscuits. (Though I do like nice biscuits...)
    Dr.Jackson

Dr.Jackson Certified Space Monkey

Hello and Welcome to the Chrons!
    janet986w

janet986w Science fiction fantasy

Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!
    chrispenycate

You're allowed your own thread, you know. (top left on the introductions page. See it? New thread.) Not that I think anybody's going to welcome buttons now, but it means people notice you are new, and drop in for a chat…

I generated a new thread for someone in the same position just recently, but it turned out to be a robot or something; which goes to prove that me being helpful might not be the worst thing that can happen to you here (we have a wide selection of worseries) but it's on the list.

Welcome in. I don't know about the warmly, but definitely the 'welcome' bit. Did you read the thread before appending yourself to its nether portions? I am, of course referring to the Judge's order – um suggestion – (I would add that getting on the wrong side of the judge is one of the "worse"s I mentioned) to involve yourself with one of the ongoing activities, namely the "seventy-five word writing challenge". The link is for August, but a little digging around (very shallowly, it's generally right at the top) in the workshop will find the clearly marked September thread. If you happen to be of the writing ilk, read the present stories; they are <75 words each (where's the 'less than or equal to" key on this computer?) so it won't take that long, then pen one of your own. If you don't happen to write (and, despite occasional feelings to the contrary, not everyone does) you can still make a decision about which one displeases you least, and, at the end of month, join in the voting for the best one. (75 word story? I can do a 75 word sentence.)

So, what is your pleasure? Writing, reading, watching, producing, playing? Which of the subgenres do you favour, and which authors/producers/designers/actors? This is nosiness, but not just; it is nice to be able to target potential victi – potentially interested members with one's own enthusiasms.

Warnings? Ah, yes, we're highly habit forming and time consuming, better stick an "I en't ded" postit on your computer and put a blanket rejection on all invitations, and forget what the word "sleep" means. Always carry a tube of Pringles; if, by any unlikely chance, Freda doesn't learn about them you can always delay you withdrawal from the computer a bit longer.
    Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Goblin Princess Staff Member

I'm afraid, Chris, that janet986w is a 'bot, too.
    Lacivetta

Lacivetta New Member

Hullo, I'm pretty new here too, does seem to be a friendly place and may I add to the general welcome :)
    Lacivetta

Lacivetta New Member

Surely 'nice' means 'fine'? :p Which may also refer to biscuits and such people as we all are...
    The Judge

Ooh. No pinching of threads, Lacivetta! Go start your own Introduction so we can welcome you properly -- and nicely, of course!
    chrispenycate

Claire (correct?) has done an complete listing of interests and so forth in "All about us."
    http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/1427012-post732.html , but that escapes the – persuasion – for the seventy-five word extravaganza.

Ciao, bienvenuto oh lasciverous one (what, did I get the spelling wrong? Or the translation?). I've noticed your interest in limericks; I don't get involved in the playrooms thread, 'cause I like my limericks to scan precisely; see:–http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/33603-advanced-limmerickitis.html

But you could follow my instructions to the 'bot, and investigate… actually I think the nice biscuits are so called after a town in the south of France not quite Italy, but not far), and the word 'nice' (as its antonym, naughty) has been so overused in juvenile situations as to me almost washed clean of meaning by now (I will accept the 'precise', and Agnes Nutter). Actually, no-one would get upset if you did as her Honour suggested, and got generally welcomed; the trouble with everyone piling onto one thread is that it's difficult to answer; like a reception where you're swept on to the next introduction before you've had time to size up, let alone converse with the previous one…

Mind you, not meeting any of us too closely might have been exactly what you were aiming for.