What shape are your feet? (Serious question)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HareBrain, Jun 29, 2010.

HareBrain

HareBrain Lagomorphing Staff Member

The question: does your big toe stick furthest fowards, or your second (or even third) toe?

The reason: almost all shoes are shaped at the front so the longest part of the footbed lines up with the second or third toe. But a quick check of mine and a few friends' feet shows that in most cases, the big toe sticks furthest forward, with the other toes then sloping down towards the little toe.

In most cases this wouldn't matter a great deal (except in extreme cases where the big toe is actually cramped towards the point and deforms as a result), but you'd think that running shoes would be shaped to follow function rather than fashion. But they all seem to have the same flaw, and in my case this means the inboard edge of my big toe rubs against the shoe, even though they're meant to be plenty big enough.

So, are my friends and I freaks? Is the most common shape of the foot with the second toe protruding beyond the big toe? I demand answers!
    Sephiroth

Sephiroth Causa Scientiae

I was tempted to say, 'foot-shaped'. :p

But my longest toes are my second toes, yes.
    Doctor Crankenstein

Doctor Crankenstein Newbie

My second toe is a millimetre or two shorter than my big toe.

I have very long skinny feet which are very pointed, the top of my pinky-toe ends before my Big toe starts.

Oh the pointless chit-chat of forums. I love it, lol :D
    onebigpotato

onebigpotato What's tatters Hobbit?

I've got a mole on the top of my right foot, not too big, I guess you could call it endearing :p Big toes longest (thank god) and a bit veiny, other than that no complaints, except for where they take me.
    Wybren

Wybren Crooked Warden

My big toe is the longest, but other than my mum the rest of my family have the second toe as the longest. I recently was tasked with taking photos of the bottom of peoples feet and from those photos most people had the second toe as either the same length or longer than the big toe. Which when you look at it from an evolutionary perspective fits, as the big toe in the past would have been more separate and used like a thumb, and as we lost the need to use our feet to grasp things our feet slowly have evolved to how they are now.
    The Procrastinator

The Procrastinator 1 Candlepower Brain

Big toe is longest for me, but my family is a mix. My feet are inconveniently short and wide with a fairly high instep, which is fine for bear-trundling but not so fine for shoe shopping. Very hard to find nice shoes that fit!
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

I'm another Big-Endian, or Big-Toe-Biggest-Endian, but my mother's next-to-big-toe toe was longest and in the family it's pretty mixed.

In her story The Man with Copper Fingers, Dorothy Sayers has the whole plot turn on the fact that an incredibly beautiful woman had "literally only one half inch of her... that wasn't absolutely perfect from the sculptor's point of view -- the second toe of her left foot was shorter than the big toe." The sculptor in question always corrected it in the statues he made of her. Whether this was a real feeling in the 1920s, that larger big toes weren't as lovely, or whether this is meant to be the sculptor's own obsession, I don't know.

I used to have a pair of shoes which were proper foot-shaped, ie the highest/longest part of the shoe was over the big toe, not in the middle. And very comfy they were too, but, to be honest, never very elegant.
    Sephiroth

Hey! My foot is a proper foot, I'll have you know. It's you Big-Endians who are the weird ones, here. ;):p

:D
    HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Iago with a Blackberry

This thread just made me whip off my sock to check.

My feet are wonderfully formed, big toe biggest and then the rest sloping down beautifully. They're pretty big in comparison with the rest of me, though -- not that tall, but I have rather slim, long size seven feet. Means I've always been pretty good at swimming.

My mum (and I think she said her mum as well) have this thing where the second and third toes are the same size, and both are longer than the big toe. Shoes work well for them, then, I guess!
    Doctor Crankenstein

Doctor Crankenstein Newbie

I'm sure that's been said elsewhere in other contexts...
    nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

I took my sock of to check too, anyway my big toe is slightly longer but not by much, I've got a small foot but broad and my little toe curls under the second littlest
    Sephiroth

My little toe likes to curl under, too.
    nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

makes it awkward when your trying to paint the nails
    pyan

pyan Fortiter et recte! Staff Member

What does it mean if your big toe and second toe are exactly the same length, like mine?

Never really found that a problem...
    Sephiroth

Really, Py? I have that problem all the time! :p
    Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

Make sure Leisha never sees this thread, and I wish I hadn't myself.....
    Sephiroth

You read her mind, Karn. Spooky. At almost exactly the same time as you were making that post, Leish just said to me, "It's kind of disturbing that there is a thread on feet."
    chrispenycate

chrispenycate resident pedantissimo

I'm wearing sandals (and often taking those off to walk round barefoot) so no problem.

Index toe(?) slightly longer than thumb toe (all right, big toe) Non opposable, and not hairy (so I'm not a hobbit, despite height considerations).
    HareBrain

HareBrain Lagomorphing Staff Member

OK, it seems there is some sense to the shape of shoes after all. (For those who don't like alliteration, sorry!)

Next question, is there any correlation between the relative length of one's toes, and the ability to spread them? Because the only person in my earlier mini-poll to have his second toe longer than his big toe couldn't spread his at all, and was appalled that the rest of us could.

(Mods, since this surely consitututes original scientific research, you might want to move it to the Science & Nature board.)
    ktabic

ktabic Save punctuation!

My second toe is longer than my big toe on the right, and the two are the same length on the left. Presumably I've stubbed one or the other slightly more often than the other.