Fifth Chroniversary

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chrispenycate, Jun 26, 2010.

chrispenycate

chrispenycate resident pedantissimo Staff Member

A little group of goblins, preceded by a short, tubby human – or perhaps a tall dwarf – streams out of the asylum and marks off a plot of land next to the maze about the size of a doormat.

Geometry warps – anyone in the maze will have an interesting new challenge in escaping – and the crystallised dreams and solid improbability which make up the bedrock of the lounge area expand to make a space about city block size, about half of which is a hole for setting the foundations of the proposed building.

The dwarf flickers – he's not really there at all, he's halway up the wall in an elven banqueting hall converted for conferences, recording but not listening to a debate on import tarifs for crottled greeps.

After all, who'd want to crottle a greep, anyway?

The head goblin unfolds the plans, apparently undisturbed by the fact that the urgent floor – that for the residents who have celebrated their fifth chroniversary – is at ground level, while the next one up, for those residents with six years of seniority is at ground level, while the stories below, or the unfortunates who took longer discovering the place, are all at ground level. It simplifies stairway design.

"She's got a hotel, you say?"

"Yes, in Chateau d'Oex. And they're just starting up, so haven't got regular custom yet. And with the Swiss Franc going up (at least the £ound, $ollar, €uro and yen all plunging down) even the Swiss tourist office is willing to let bygones be bygones."

"Another alp, do you think?"

"Or a prealp to go with the ones you've got. More cows and chalets and things."

"We'll get it up in time, you'll see. And furnished for the party, without any of that sissy magic."
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

*wanders in holding a judical clipboard, checking elf and safety regulations*

A party? For whom? "She" and "goblin" OK, -- but not "fifth".

And shouldn't we have some gnomes helping to build a staircase-free Swiss hotel?
    chrispenycate

"How do you know Rosemary will like the bobsleigh run coming through the middle of the patio? She's a mature mortal, and is possibly a bit less… yes, I know she'll have to come out here to smoke, as it's not allowed inside, but the ice will make it too cold to enjoy."

Behind the rapidly growing building is the maze; but there is also a majestic mountain slope, with a glacier ornamenting one side. A couple of brown an white cows with bells round their necks watch the construction with the same blank interest they use for trains, aircraft or humans. The meadow is largely wildflowers, getting reproduction over with in the short period they dare expose their reproductive organs to the elements.

Freda seems quite unsurprised by the fact she can either walk to the pool or up the mountain on the same path.
    nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

Shh but I think Rosie has giving up smoking...
    chrispenycate

Well, I'm afraid neither she nor you will be able to celebrate your fifth Chroniversaries in it; I'm afraid I'm getting it ready for mine. I should have started earlier.
    Afterwards, it's going to be a sort of club house, in competition with the thousand posters and suchlike. About the only way I can get ahead of JD in something.

Though if Groblik insists on the bob track through the patio, even under glass, it's not going to be as restful as I had planned.
    nixie

And I though it was for Rosie....
    chrispenycate

Too late. I had a spate of CHoR, and missed her arrival. I had been intending…
    chrispenycate

Rosey misses snow. All right, we're getting temperatures in the mid thirties now, but you can see where the toboggan run and the ski/snowboarding slope will be, and the big panoramic window looking out onto what will be white mountains, quite soon. I wonder if Freda will go for bobsleigh or snowboard?

I don't know if Teresa's got much snow; it's not that far away, but hardly on her doorstep. LMA neither, though you got some last winter; I know, I was there.

I suppose we'll have to let the newcomers on it, or it'll look very empty; but we can make the indoors exclusive.
    nixie

Can I help with the decorating, promise I wont go mad with the pixie dust.
    chrispenycate

Well, of course. Any of the five yearers. I'm hardly known for my visual aesthetics, after all.

I think the Goblins have just about finished the structural work; and on gruyère and vacherin, too, I couldn't get enough gorgonzola. Base theme is sort of wooden rustic, beams with things hanging from them, that sort. Chalet, a bit bigger, carnotzet for melted cheese, gluwein and chocolate.
    nixie

Rosie and I will get her heads together and come up with something amazing.
    chrispenycate

I had been planning a grand opening for my fifth chroniversary (today) and look. Here I am in sunny Rotherham, not to be back home for a week.

Hmm, the goblins have done a great job; I really like the way the bobsleigh run is a water tobbogan until the winter freeze sets in. How have Nixie and Rosie been going on the interior?

Interesting. I can see Freda's hand (mandible? palp?) in some of this, and yes, the chalet theme does carry across nicely. We might not be able to fit all the chronic Chronics in for the opening, but there's certainly lots of space for all the five year sentences after the snowwarming party.
    Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Goblin Princess Staff Member

I'm not sure where in California you were last winter, chris, but snow in this area? Nope. And it's hotter and drier where LMA lives, so I would be surprised if there was any snow there.

I haven't seen snow since I went to Crater Lake (which is many hundreds of miles away in Oregon) several years ago, and even then it was old left-over snow from the year before. Otherwise, the last time I actually interacted with snow was around 1970.
    HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Iago with a Blackberry

*Pops head in* Chrrrriissssppppeeee!

Happy Fifth Chroniversary! May you be Chronically Chronicled for a long time to come!
    chrispenycate

That was a communication with Nixie, who got snow in Yorkshire. I haven't been to the States since '99; I was supposed to be in New York in October '01, but there was a mild inconvenience which rendered this impractical.

The story of "snow ski in the morning, water ski in the afternoon" was told me in SF, though they could well have been kidding a credulous foreigner. I never saw snow even in Colorado; rock tours are generally in summer, and avoid passes that could possibly become difficult.
    Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Goblin Princess Staff Member

Unless they were talking about trips to Tahoe, which is 200 miles away, it was definitely a case of kidding a credulous foreigner!
    chrispenycate

"YES!"

The four man bob sweeping up to the glassed in terrace restaurant contains more than four entities. Even specially tailored, the crash helmet looks strange on a spider, the crocodile has out and out refused to wear one, (and is not fitting into the seating, so has an extra runner strapped to his belly just in case) the two felines don't seem over convinced. Only the Brownie, a goblin and the Chrispy seem adapted to their protective gear.

Now we just need to convince the upside down druid to get aboard; she's said she's been missing snow.
    "Hmm, les than fifty kilometres/hour on average – it felt faster than that.

Yes, Freda, again; we've got to test the system out properly before opening it to everyone, don't we? Just hook that cable there onto the front, and you can either ride it back up or take the telecabine with the rest of us…
    chrispenycate

One of a crew of somewhat less lighthearted crew finishing hanging the dismantled bobsleigh on the wall waves a palp at another.

"No, Freda, the upside-down druid didn't turn up to watch you; and now with the snow melted; it's too dangerous to use. And you'd got so good. Apart from the pushing, we could have started a Chrons Olympic team.

I found some Pringles in a Supermarché across the border in France. Lardons et de l'ail.

Perhaps we'll run water down it and make it a very long slide into the pool; you'd like that.
    Rosemary

Rosemary The Wicked Sword Maiden

*A large Air Mail letter flies in through the window*

Dear Freda, Chris, Nixie, Wally and All

I'm so very sorry I missed the bob sleigh run with you all, especially as you were getting so good at it! I missed the snow as well.

Still the idea of a water slide into a pool sounds wonderful :) I will be there with my floaties, as soon as I am able!

Miss you all very much, much love and many hugs,

From your Upside Down Druid xxxx
    HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Iago with a Blackberry

*Sneaks in*

*Puts out a bowl of crisps, which will probably be a bit stale in three days time, when the actual day comes along*

Ah, five years. How things have changed; end of sixth form, all of university, plus another year of real world avoidance to get a Masters, and now...well, who knows, really. Some ups, some downs, some unexpected and unwelcome things, but...

...the Chrons has been there all along.

Group hug!