Should the Vuvzela be banned?

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Vladd67, Jun 14, 2010.

?

Should the Vuvuzela be banned

1. Yes: Nothing but an irritant to both players and fans alike

23 vote(s)
    67.6%
  2. No: An important part of the African Soccer culture

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
    Vladd67

Vladd67 Stake Holder

Those annoying horns that makes it sound like the match is being played in a bee hive, or an important part of the local football culture and we should not try to Europeanise the African world cup. What do you think?
    GOLLUM

GOLLUM Moderator Staff Member

I said Yes becasue it annoys the heck out of me and I know many folk over there are feeling the same way. I understand they can add a bit of color to the spectacle but most commentators believe chanting and an occasional use of an instrument e.g. bongos, drums, occasional horn etc. is OK. I just saw a report on the local news here suggesting they won't be banned as they are proving too good a money earner for local business/shop owners, so it's going to be a case of having to put up with them I suspect. This last piece of sentiment appears to be backed up by near-record sales of ear plugs over in S.A.....:D
    Lenny

Lenny Edit Ninja In Training

At times I can't hear the commentary, and I'm listening to something with background noise, yet it still manages to drown things out.

I feel sorry for the players - if I'm getting a headache from hearing them through my speakers, how must they feel?

I imagine the players can't hear much, either - there was a case yesterday where someone was flagged offside and then booked for carrying on... I didn't hear the whistle, a few other players looked like they didn't hear the whistle and I assume he definitely didn't hear the whistle.
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Like the Mexican wave, it probably won't catch on at Firhill either.:p
    Boneman

Boneman Active Member

And if I paid good money to attend an International game and had that constant barrage of inane cacophony, I think I'd demand my money back... but then, they don't do it at Rugby Internationals, and those are the only games worth attending!!:eek:
    Wybren

Wybren Crooked Warden

YES!!! A thousand times YES!!!! How can anyone concentrate on the game when there is this maddening drone? Not only would this noise have an effect on the players but I feel as a spectator it takes away from the enjoyment of watching the game.

I read that they would not ban it because it would be like banning the English from singing at matches. Surely there is a big difference between singing and the monotonous noise of Vuvuzelas?

I am currently watching the Netherlands v Denmark game with the volume off because the noise is so irritating.
    GOLLUM

GOLLUM Moderator Staff Member

As per my previous post, it's likely a mix of economics and trying not to seem like killjoys taht sees the authorisites not bannig those infenral things.

Holland won 2 - 0 which I think was my prediction/guess? Yeh! Woot woot.....Show me da points!.....:p
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Sorry ? Surely it's their country and they can do what they like.

I don't like our southern neighbours doing, "Swing Low, sweet chariot," unless I can do the actions, but I wouldn't dream of banning them.
    Moonbat

Moonbat Luna tick

The Vuvuzela is loud enough to cause damage to a person's hearing, if this is the case what will happen when some people come home from the world cup with damaged hearing, will they be suing FIFA for allowing a potentially dangerous weapon to be used during the matches.
    I can understand that they bring in some much needed money for the local community but that's because they are very simplistic horns, we will see when the World Cup is over whether they have permenantly damaged people's hearing.
    nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

I hate it... sounds like a million bees
    einlanzer

einlanzer of the North

Voted yes! Over here in Germany they´ve banned Vuvuzelas in all public places except for the stadiums. I guess they´d be banned during the matches too if more were brought. The noise intensity it creates can go up to 130 dB.
    Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

This is not an attitude that those in charge of the Olympic Movement would recognise (to the extent that the UK has had to pass some quite draconian legislation - not that the previous government were particularly averse to this - and have, at previous games, confiscated the "wrong brand of" products from paying spactators). I doubt FIFA does either.

But imagine this being sung at every match (even ones where England weren't playing), drowning out everything else.

And my last comment is the key: where are the team-realted chants? Where is the hush when an underdog team has scored against a favourite? or the cheers? Where is anything that sounds in the least bit like a soccer match? I've heard nothing but that damned buzzing.

(Even bagpipes have differently-tuned drones and one can play music on them. Vuvuzela's are simply ear-splitting noise machines.)
    Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

Only if they are made** in South Africa (or to the retailers).

** - Are they mostly made there or are most imported?
    pyan

pyan Fortiter et recte! Staff Member

Yes - they drown out all the highs and lows of the crowd-noise, and take away the atmosphere, IMHO. They seem to have very little connection with what the teams are doing ( if they do, why does the noise go on all the way through half time, when the players are off the pitch?) and have all the charm of a small child incessantly blowing on a toy trumpet.
    Lenny

Lenny Edit Ninja In Training

Tell you what - I'm watching the Italy game, and I can hear the crowd! Under the vuvuzelas...
    nj1

nj1 monkey is magic

a solid YES from me.
    Vladd67

Vladd67 Stake Holder

It appears they are flying off the shelves here in the UK under the name VU VU Horn, so expect to hear the sound of South African football coming from a stadium near you next season.
    Daisy-Boo

Daisy-Boo Purr-fectly crazy

I voted No, even though I really don't like the sound of the vuvuzela.

Banning would only create a great deal of resentment amongst many South African football fans. You should've heard the irate callers on a local radio station when a banning was a possibility prior to the WC. People are passionate about the vuvuzela. Trust me on that. In my opinion, banning would only strengthen people's commitment to the vuvuzela.

I can't speak for other South Africans but I felt (and still feel) more than a little irritated at the way the vuvuzela is dismissed as being simply a noisemaker and a nuisance. It doesn't even seem to be a consideration that the vuvuzela might have a significance for South African fans, in South Africa, where we are the hosts...and the ones who have purchased the majority of the tickets.

South Africans have gone all out to provide the best possible experience to the world, to extend African hospitality and show what we are capable of. And all the world can say in return is "Ban the vuvuzela"?

I know that attitude is not representative of every non-South African. I know many people see beyond "vuvuzelas are noisy". But it irks me to see such casual dismissal of something that means a lot to many South Africans.
    blacknorth

blacknorth Stuck Inside a Cloud

Well said, Daisy-Boo, I agree entirely. I voted no too.

I don't find the vuvuzela the least bit annoying - having said that, I'm not watching the matches in surround sound at the loudest possible volume, as many people seem to be doing.

I suggest they switch to good old-fashioned mono or stereo for the world cup. It's the least courtesy they can afford our wonderful South African hosts before they make a complaint.
    mosaix

mosaix Active Member

No.

It's in South Africa, it's what the South African's want to do. Enough said.