need a sci fi writer

ggordon

Hi.

I had a thought about how alternate realities can be linked to seeing ghosts. When I started linking it to a lot of other everyday events (like [FONT=&quot]Déjà vu[/FONT]), I started writing it down. When I got to the end of the 2nd page, I switched to the laptop and started typing without any clue as to where the story was going. I had no idea what was going to happen in the next chapter, paragraph or sentence.

5 weeks later, I have a story that begins long before our universe began; it ends long after it's all gone. It tells how everything in space was made, who did it and how they did it. It covers what is outside all realities.
It tells a story about what can cancel out entire realities, including all universes in each. And ours in now under attack.

And, it answers the eternal question: why are we here?

Imaging dreaming that stars in deep space are vanishing, only to find out that they really are. You decide to do some research on the dreams. The next thing you know, you are being shot at and rescued by a group that live entire underground, in a place that was put here just after the Earth had finished forming.

Space is full of stars...but not much longer.

That's how it all begins.

Now imaging finding a massive, ancient ship that was used to energize our universe when it was being created. And...it is thought-controlled and is designed to jump between realities.

Here's where I need your help:
I am not a writer. This thing haunted me until I finished typing it. I do not know what rules I follow to create a novel. I do not know what to do with this 220,000 word story.
I want to hand it off to a writer who does know and let that person create something that is worth reading.

Why? In the end, it has a philosophical lesson we all need to learn. And no, I did not plan for it. It just came out that way.

Any suggestions?

Firstly - I'm fairly sure there will be professional opinions expressed so don't take this as the last word - Me I'm an amateur

Well, I think you need a professional assessment of what you've put together. This is where it gets tricky. From what I understand of the industry - which is based purely on my general experience, so I could be wrong - there aren't people out there sat waiting to pull things together for the average Joe. Now if you where famous in your own rite - a sportsman, politician or even a mass murderer there would be people 'hacking' a path to your door to get that pile of notes and put them into a book.

If this is where you want to end your writing involvement, I suspect this is where it's going to cost. In my professional life I design electronics. People come to me with ideas and hope I see the potential in developing it further. I sometimes do see the potential; sadly potential doesn't pay the rent. When they suggest that I do the development and I could have a share of the profits etc. I am not filled with joy quite the opposite. If I had 'invested' in all such profitable ventures, I would be living under the local railway arches not, the tastefully decorated cave I have now.

To be fair you are asking someone to invest time, quite a lot of time, even to go over what you've got. To then go on to write a book from you're ideas is asking a lot, even if they get the major proceeds from it's publication.

I think you would find it more fulfilling if you gained the skills required to take it to the next stage. After all it's is your work. If it turns out you have a best seller or even discovered the secret of the universe you would want your name on the thing and not have someone else take the credit.

I also think I have a book inside me. I was about a 100,000 words in when I discovered this site. I stopped writing and started learning. I'm still learning and enjoying the experience. I may never finish the book in the short time we all have left. The point is had I not discovered this site, I would have finished my manuscript and it would have probably been a pile of c**p.

Let be honest. You are capable. You put that opening statement together and shoved it out there. I think you are the person to take it further. I think you have the skills, and if not, you certainly seem to have the ability to learn them.

We are here to help. Why not look at what you've got ; cobble a paragraph or two together and stick it up for critique. It could be you already have the skills.

If you explain what you're after from the critique we are a forgiving helpful bunch of reprobates.

Hope I helped

TEiN

Hmmm. I'm surprised you were able to make a thread on critiques, since you're a newbie here. I thought it was set up to stop that. Perhaps because it isn't actually something which needs critiquing.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. I agree with TEiN.

There are such things as ghost writers -- and a lot of professionals make a lot of money ghost writing for celebrities or for big name authors who have more ideas thean they can control. But the people here who are aspiring writers probably have more than enough ideas to keep them writing for years -- they don't need someone else's blueprint to work from.

If all you wanted to do was enjoy yourself with some speculative... er... speculation, well you've done it and you can move on. If you want it in a novel, learn how to write and do it yourself -- as TEiN says you clearly have th skill and this is a great place to learn.

One word of semi-warning, though. People don't appreciate being preached at. No matter how universe-shattering you think your speculation is, to be told "it has a philosophical lesson we all need to learn" is likely to put backs up. If you want to start a religion, be my guest and make as many claims as you can get away with. If you want to write a novel, make it about the characters and what they do, not philosophical concepts.

Good grief. Three consecutive sentences ending with a preposition. I shall be drummed out of the Obscure Grammarians Group at this rate...

Moved to Aspiring Writers, as it's not a piece for critiquing...

As interesting as your story sounds (and to me, at least, it is most interesting sounding indeed) I believe you have the wrong place to advertise for a writer. Although I can by no means speak for everyone, I can't help but notice that the majority here have problems more with the writing than the making up a story side of things. As such, they are exactly the sort of writer you don't want.

That said, I would also argue with your claim to not being a writer. You have writen 220,000 words, have you not? You might not be published, your 220,000 words may not be the best chosen or in the best order, but you have definately made yourself a writer by writing such a work. I can't help but think it odd that you want to pass the baton. Surely it would be better to rewrite, improve and complete the work yourself?

I know that's what I'd do if I were so fortunate as to have a complete first draft of a novel in my posession.

Here's where I need your help:
I am not a writer. This thing haunted me until I finished typing it. I do not know what rules I follow to create a novel. I do not know what to do with this 220,000 word story.

You sound like a writer to me. We get quite a few contributors in here who say things like "I had this whizzy dream last night and had to get it all down. Don't know where it's going or anything, but here's the first 500 words - what do you think?"

But you don't appear to be like that. Your post tells me that you've had an idea and knocked off 220,000 word in five weeks without any planning. That's impressive. That's why I think you are a writer.

I want to hand it off to a writer who does know and let that person create something that is worth reading.

If I were that writer, I'd be saying "great - how much do you propose to pay me?" Think about it. You've used up five weeks of your life so far. You'll use up a bit more as you look at what is written, make changes and otherwise ensure that the thing is written in accordance with your vision. But if I'm the writer and you want 220,000 finely crafted Graham gems, I'm going to need to give this project at least a year. That is an enormous investment of my time - a far greater investment than you will need to give. So I'd be daft to do that for anything other than a commercial fee. I certainly wouldn't want to do it for a cut of the profits in the event that we get published. I've got a mortgage to pay, after all.

But, as I say, you don't need a writer. You are the writer. And, as others have implied, the bit you've done - having the idea - is the fun bit. Grinding out the words and turning an idea into a story that people want to read is where the real work comes in. But you can do that - the sort of person who can turn out 220,000 words in five weeks is the sort of person who could easily slay apostrophes, nail characerisation and give imagery a good kicking in the alley behind the Dog and Hammer.

There are no "rules" to writing. There are rules of grammar (many of which are ignored anyway), but otherwise it's all just guidelines, tips and helpful advice. No magic to it - just a lot of hard work and commitment.

Why? In the end, it has a philosophical lesson we all need to learn.

I'd be careful about this. To plagiarise a forgotten source*, if you want to send a message, use the Post Office. Many novels set out with the intention of making a Grand Statement, but nearly every Grand Statement (especially in fantasy) is really just a variation of one of the following rather simple themes:-

1. Be excellent to one another.

2. Money is, like, bad. What about the flowers?

3. Evil tends to lose, irrespective of the number of goblins it has.

If you are writing contemporary, real-world novels you get to add two more:-

4. Poor people are endearing.

5. Even phenomenally attractive, sassy, sophisticated career urbanites with a glittering social life and lots of money can find love.

Back to the computer with you!

Regards,

Peter

* forgotten by me, at least.

I'd be careful about this. To plagiarise a forgotten source*, if you want to send a message, use the Post Office.

* forgotten by me, at least.
It's a Sam Goldwynism** -- "If you want to send a message, call Western Union".

** Though I gather he didn't actually say most of the ones attributed to him, so this may well be apocryphal.

I feel a strong urge to start a thread collating the best Grand Statements. You did however leave "Kill all the goddam commies" off the list, which feels to me like a grave oversight.

I thought the ultimate Grand Statement was TANSTAAFL*?

* There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
(Stolen from Robert A Heinlein)