Formatting/software issues

J Riff

The Ants are my friends..
Hi, all you WORD users ..( I don't have it) ...I usually write in .rtf using good old wordpad, quick and easy.
However ... when it's time to submit - reformat time. Indent each paragraph five (5) spaces, then double-space the whole thing.
Not so bad for a short story ... but a 35,000 wd. novella is a bit of work, a large bit.
Simply, a prog that writes in finished 'manuscript' format, viz: starts the paragraph properly indented and etc.
I have Final Draft, a great prog, but it leans heavily into screenplay/script formatting.
Just wondering what people find the easiest program to use, for either writing directly in manuscript format, or re-formatting already finished work into submittable shape.

I've only ever used Word, and it's straighforward enough to either produce a work to a certain format, or make bulk changes at the end. But that doesn't help you if you don't have it.

I've heard people on this site recommend Open Office, a freeware word processer. You might look into that.

One thing, about your problem - when I'm done writing, I can just change the indent and line spacing for the paragraph format "standard", and with a few clicks each and all my paragraphs look as they should.
The idea of doing that manually, i.e., adding five keystrokes on the space bar, wouldn't ever appear to me.

For my English-language stories I'm fine with word, it does everything my publisher needs. For the German stuff I rely on StarOffice (not OpenOffice, although it's nearly the same) for two reasons.

#1 are »Guillemets«, which are more common in German typography than the usual “typographic” double quotes. Word simply doesn't know about them.

#2 is the hyphenation, which slightly differs... OpenOffice does some things that are not tolerable in German.

But in any case - unless you're going for self-publishing, your publisher has the final say, so that you can concentrate on the content.

Cheers
Valerie

Well. I installed a portable version of Word (40 MB ) and spent hours getting rid of it. took forever ( 5 min ! ) to start, left mucho bugs in the registry, stuff trying to start up after I had removed it, etc.
Just installed Open Office 3.2, and after changing a few options, turning off auto-complete and spelchek .... it works great ! So far, it's a thumbs up for anyone looking for an affordable pro word processor.

Guillemetes. Sounds like a character from a medieval village.
What's different about German hyphenation ?

I'm talking of good German hyphenation versus bad German hyphenation.

Well, basically you can do hyphenation based on syllables or based on trivial rules (like "always before a consonant"). The latter may render some crazy results.

What would you think of "concent-rated"? My OpenOffice would do that.
My StarOffice would make it "concen-trated". According to my Webster's, the latter is correct.

On Guillemets see Guillemets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - it's something a typesetter should know.

Cheers
Valerie

The version of Word that comes with works is pants.

If you can't afford Word, there are a number of free word processors out there, Open Office (entire office suite for a free download) is one of the most common, but google, 'Freeware,' and see what comes up.

There's plenty of choice and nothing to stop you from trying three or four to see which one you like best.

Well I have tried a batch of em'... EditPad... I have something called Q10 which is OK .. and yBook as a reader ...tried NoteTab... others, and OpenOffice 3.2 is the clear winner as far as freeware goes.

Phooooie. Hadda uninstall Open Orfice, was wreaking havoc that ended in a reinstall of windows. *Sigh
A writer's word processor is needed... no need to connect to the net, spelchek, auto-complete or etc. etc.
Something not bundled with 3 or 4 other huge spacehogs.
Grumble, moan ... I will continue to DL and install more progs until one of them works out.

Hi,
if you're looking for a software specifically for authors, why don't you check Papyrus?
About Papyrus OFFICE in English
It is not free, but not very expensive either.
The very successful German author Andreas Eschbach (afaik not translated to English) recommends it - I haven't tried myself yet.
Cheers
Val

Abiword is a small but decent word-processor. You usually see it bundled in USB suites, but it's also available as a standalone.