The Ongoing Saga of the "Hobbit" movie...

re: The Ongoing Saga of the "Hobbit" movie...

No, it isn't looking promising, is it? I'm fine with waiting, so long as the final product is worth it (which, despite their flaws, I feel is the case with the three films of LotR); but I am concerned about how such delays may increase the difficulty of commitment of the various parties involved....

And, I must admit, I would also love to see him actually get a green light from someone to do his proposed film of yet another iconic piece, Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness....

Perhaps Peter Jackson will step in himself...

There seems to have been a lot of money spent already, so it'll be a bargain for another company to take over the project if MGM do go under. Personally, I think that Paul Verhoeven should be offered the job...:p

Perhaps Peter Jackson will step in himself...

I hope not. Even the "big landscape" bits of the Hobbit feel small and intimate in the book; based on LOTR, I think Jackson would overblow them massively. Also, his depiction of the Shire as a largely treeless landscape (apart from the odd cedar!) where fields of maize are grown, gave me no confidence that he has any feel for the sensibility Tolkien displays in the first few chapters of LOTR and in his smaller work.

To be honest, I would much rather a filmed Hobbit had no connection with the filmed LOTR at all. The feel is so different, that trying to force the two into the same film universe could only lead to compromise. The very different BBC radio productions of LOTR and the Hobbit are a good example of how the two should be separately handled.

Heh...

Or how about Quentin Tarantino? Reservoir Hobbits, anyone?

How about Tim Burton directing Johnny Depp as Bilbo and Helena Bonham-Carter as Smaug? (Because you know she'd be in there somewhere.)

No more Del Torro...GREAT... best thing that could have happened to The Hobbit.
While Del Torro is (slightly) better than Uwe Bol he seems more concerned with showing arty images than making a good film with emphasis on characters and plot (look at how he messed up Hellboy 2).

Enjoy!

No more Del Torro...GREAT... best thing that could have happened to The Hobbit.
While Del Torro is (slightly) better than Uwe Bol he seems more concerned with showing arty images than making a good film with emphasis on characters and plot (look at how he messed up Hellboy 2).

While I will freely admit that Del Toro is uneven -- so will he, for that matter, calling such films his "comic book films" -- I can't agree otherwise; certainly not with things like Cronos, Pan's Labyrinth, or The Devil's Backbone to his credit. Those are all extremely good films; intelligent, powerful, imaginative, and with very vivid characters and excellent storytelling....

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

Also, his depiction of the Shire as a largely treeless landscape (apart from the odd cedar!) where fields of maize are grown, gave me no confidence that he has any feel for the sensibility Tolkien displays in the first few chapters of LOTR[/I]

Hey, if Tolkien could have 'taters, why not maize!

Perhaps they should have been running around in a field of tobacco ... er, pipeweed.

Hey, if Tolkien could have 'taters, why not maize!

Perhaps they should have been running around in a field of tobacco ... er, pipeweed.

I'm pretty sure Tolkien wrote in one of his unpublished letters** that hobbits never grew crops twice as tall as themselves.

** (or he would have done, had he thought of it)

Or how about Quentin Tarantino? Reservoir Hobbits, anyone?

Hoping it will be Clint Eastwood, myself.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Nazgúl, anyone?:D

Hmm - as far as discussion goes, I can as well throw in Roland Emmerich (Godzilla, Independence Day, Stargate). At least he'll make Smaug look truly big.

Kevin Costner will direct. The film will be called: Dances With Hobbits.

To get this thread back on track...

The Wertzone: Guillermo Del Toro departs THE HOBBIT

Our own Wert reports that del Toro will stay on in New Zealand for a bit and help with re-writes and preproduction, so I think it will still have a touch of his flavour. Though that would depend on how many more rewrites it goes through once he departs the scene. But it also looks like Peter Jackson won't direct it, either. Maybe one of his other go-to guys - I don't see it being up Neill Blomkamp's alley, but maybe one of the Weta guys looking to move into directing?

While I will freely admit that Del Toro is uneven -- so will he, for that matter, calling such films his "comic book films" -- I can't agree otherwise; certainly not with things like Cronos, Pan's Labyrinth, or The Devil's Backbone to his credit. Those are all extremely good films; intelligent, powerful, imaginative, and with very vivid characters and excellent storytelling....

Maybe so but I can say that Del Toro has never made an acclaimed movie that I enjoyed (he peaked out with Hellboy 1, not a particularly good flick but watchable, IMO).
Unfortunately, while there was a chance that he might have made an acceptable Hobbit film (if Jackson could keep Del Toro's surrealistic tendencies under control) we are left with relatively few directors to take over the series from Jackson. (I fear a return to the poor levels of Tolkien movies pre-Jackson).

Right now I just hope it does not turn into a CGI fest like Avatar (although, I did like Avatar; CGI need to be invisibly integrated into films when used, IMO).

Enjoy!

Back