Artwork

Discussion in 'H P Lovecraft' started by Tinsel, May 14, 2010.

Tinsel

Tinsel Science fiction fantasy

I liked this nice simple artwork that I saw in the attached jpg image file. It is very friendly but it is also deep and foreboding when coupled with the nature of the text. This is the type of art that I enjoy. The Fantasy Flight art, although quality artwork, was more epic and serious, something more fitting for Dante's long poem. This on the other hand is playful and mysterious, and in Lovecraft there is some secret for mankind among these beings that makes it better to know more about these mysteries, because choice is put to them other than through brute force. It is more complicated than that and unresolved.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

J-WO

J-WO Pretentious Avatar Alert.

Ah, Sarnath. One crazy town...
    Tinsel

I haven't read it yet, but it doesn't look like a long story. I'll wait for the book to get here. The cover reminds me of "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". It just looks very inviting.
    Tinsel

If this book was my high school textbook covering three years worth of education that I would have got more out of school than I actually did. I might have even finished this book.
    Tinsel

This book is very old.
    josefk

josefk New Member

The artist is Gervasio Gallardo. He also did the cover art for the "Dreamquest of the Unknown Kadath" and "The Spawn of Cthulhu", edited by Lin Carter and containing the stories "The Whisperer in Darkness", and "The Curse of Yig" (I assume we give HPL the credit for that one).
    w h pugmire esq

w h pugmire esq Member

"All three stories revised for Zealia Bishop--'The Curse of Yig,' 'The Mound,' and 'Medusa's Coil'--were, as Lovecraft notes, based on the scantiest of plot-germs and are accordingly close to original works by Lovecraft." From S. T. Joshi's "A Note on the Texts" in The Horror in the Museum.

I believe that Gallardo also did the cover art for an edition of Lin Carter's Lovecraft: A Look Behind the Cthuhlu Mythos. His distinctive style and use of colour has always impress'd me.
    j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

Indeed he did. That was a "companion volume" to The Spawn of Cthulhu, as I recall.... Gallardo did a number of covers for the Ballantine Adult Fantasy series (among other things), and there has been at least one collection of his artwork, The Fantastic World of Gervasio Gallardo:

Amazon.com: The Fantastic World of Gervasio Gallardo¬Ö

Here is a site which offers some of his artwork for sale:

Milk and Honey Inc. - Gervasio Gallardo

Gallardo has always been among my favorite artists of the twentieth century, and certainly influenced my quickly taking to fantasy....
    J-WO

J-WO Pretentious Avatar Alert.

Looking at the links, his work reminds me a little of Max Ernst.
    j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

Oh, he was definitely influenced by Ernst, as well as several of the other surrealists. He did, however, take it in his own unique direction, I think....