Apologies for the downtime

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Brian Turner, May 13, 2010.

Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Apologies for the server being down again a few times - there's a large site also on the server that appears to be under periodic attack by DDoS again.

However, I've already put into action a server move that will mean the larger site remains isolated on a new server, and chronicles will be moved over to an existing server.

Hoping to get all the moves done over this weekend, so watch out for some potential disruption, but rest assured I'm working on it and everything should (hopefully!) be fine and back to normal within a few days.
    Parson

Parson This world is not my home

Brian,

Your work here is much appreciated! I suspected another attack when I couldn't log on about a day ago now.

Thanks so much!
    Brian Turner

Server move in progress today - I'll shut down chronicles for a short time while the backups are made, and then the DNS updated. Might be closed for a bit, but would rather have that then everyone losing their messages. :)
    Brian Turner

I'm really sorry this took so long - we're now moved to the new server, which means we should be more stable, and certainly not subject to the DDoS attacks that are currently being targeted at the original server.

There may be a few bugs to iron out, but aside from that, hopefully everything now working. :)

(NOTE: Some members may find themselves with a "This account has moved" page - if they follow the instructions on that page, that may help them access chronicles better - however, if their ISP is slow to update, full access may not be restored to everyone until the end of the weekend).
    Stephen Palmer

Stephen Palmer author of novels

The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

Fingers crossed those dastards don't follow us here (wherever here is).

Good work, Brian, and thank you.
    Brian Turner

The server may be a little slow at times because I've probably put too many sites onto this server, but I'll be migrating many of these away over the next few weeks. :)
    Chel

Chel New Member

Thank you! :D
    Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

No need to apologize for it at all, Brian, and it all seems to be up and working now. :) All I can say is, DDoS attacks are annoying.....
    Brian Turner

Really really really really sorry about chronicles being closed all afternoon - chronicles is so big that it was overloading the server we just moved to, slowing down every site on there, including chronicles as well.

I arranged to have chronicles moved back to the original server - that now only has one other website on it, so the server should not have any problems.

However, running a back up on the chronicles database caused the original server to fail, and then when we finally got that backed up properly and tried moving it here, it caused the other server to fail as well.

And then there was the last issue of chronicles showing the "account moved" message, or even not being found, but I didn't know how to solve that myself, and had to wait for a friend to help at 9pm - only a small issue to fix, it was just knowing where it was.

In the end - we've spent the weekend moving from one server and then back again, and it probably doesn't feel like it was worth it.

What it has highlighted, though, is the need for me to find a way to reduce the chronicles database size before moving again (for example, emptying the search index) - but we should also be more stable here now that every other website than one has been taken off the original server.

Again, my sincere apologies about the downtime - I absolutely hate it when there are any unscheduled downtimes for chronicles, but I just could not help that with the database the size that it is. Sometimes having 1.4 million posts looks impressive, but it comes with a few practical issues!

Sincerely, sincerely, hoping everything is far more stable now. :)
    Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

No worries at all. I can't imagine the headaches it must have caused. There's a reason I never got into any kind of computer programming....

But cheers to you, Brian, and thanks for taking out so much time for us Chronners. :)
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Thanks Brian. I'll probably spend the rest of the week getting Freda out from under the duvet, so it's an ill wind........:)
    nj1

nj1 monkey is magic

Thanks for the info and hard work Brian, was started to get worried this afternoon when i couldnt log on.
    Why don't ypu help yourself to a nice cuppa and bickie and chill out for a bit, you've earnt it ;)
    Parson

Parson This world is not my home

Brian (I first typed Brain, and that is how I feel about your work) your dedication to chrons is quite unbelievable. Thanks ever so much!!
    Nesacat

Nesacat The Cat

Thank you Brian for all that you do to give us this place. it was very worrying not being able to log in and am glad it's alright again. I hope you suffer no more 'attacks'. We should perhaps sic Wally on them.