Film Title Synopsis Game

Discussion in 'Playrooms' started by Lenny, Apr 17, 2010.

Lenny

Lenny Edit Ninja In Training

Forgive me if this has already been done.

How many of you have played the board game Balderdash? One of the rounds, for those who haven't, involves the players writing synopses based on film titles (there is more to it in the game, but that's irrelevant here).

Having amused myself in the latest Doctor Who thread, I thought I'd bring it to the populace, and see what might come of it.

The idea is simple - a made up film title is posted, and someone replies with an amusing synopsis. They than post a new film title.

For example, Person A posts the title Spitfires in Space, and Person B might reply with:

...adding a new title after their synopsis.

Any genre you want, though I suspect most of us will prefer to stick to the realms of SF and Fantasy.

Got it? Good.

---

I'll start with: The Night of the Sandmen.
    Tansy

Tansy Northern Monkey

The Night of the Sandmen... Little known horror film made in the 1980s. One night in a small East coast town the populace fall asleep never to wake, only a handful are immune to the pull of the Sandmen. Local sheriff Randy Taylor, must unite the ragbag bunch of town folks unaffected by this ancient enemy, can he keep them awake long enough to figure it all out or will they fall to the evil machinations of the dread sandmen who will stop at nothing to make existence a living nightmare.

She Rides a Dread Horse
    Culhwch

Culhwch Not actually a dinosaur. Staff Member

She Rides a Dread Horse (2007) is the acclaimed biopic of famed author Celia Thrombley-Bottoms, celebrated and much-loved author of the phenomenally successful Girl's Pony Club series that captured the imagination of young girls around the world in the nineties. The multi-Oscar winning movie pulls no punches in examining the drugs, alcohol and depraved sex that fueled the creative genius of Thrombley-Bottoms, and delves deep into the fiery relationships she had with a parade of suitors that included fellow writers, film stars, models, sportsmen, royalty, and, occasionally, whoever happened to knock on her door. Rated R.

Fishing For Grace
    thepaladin

thepaladin Holy Knight

Fishing For Grace

The uproariously funny fantasy film from the 80s which has developed a huge cult following. Staring Hank Thomas as a young man who glimpses a mermaid while on a fishing trip, he spends the rest of his life obsessing over which lure would be best to catch the lovely blond Shanna Darayls. Most love the ending when Thomas's character is rejuvenated and young again joins the mermaid to found a bank in Atlantis.

Invasion of the Kobolds
    Moonbat

Moonbat Luna tick

Invasion of the Kobolds (1999)
    A London taxi driver, played effrotlessly by Harpreet Samsam, is infected with an unknown rectal disease after a drunk passenger vomits on the driver's seat at the beginning of his eight hour shift. Forced to sit in the unclean vomit for several hours his life and indeed his bottom will never be the same. Lookout for a cameo appearance by Celia Thrombley-Bottom.

The answer is in the cheese
    ColdBurn

ColdBurn New Member

The Answer Is In The Cheese
    Romantic comedy starring Mathew McConaughey as Tommy Beaumont, the fun-loving, neer-do-well heir to a Wisconsin dairy fortune. When his tycoon father dies Tommy sees his inheritance halved as pay-back for his free-wheeling lifestyle. The rest has been bequeathed to Tommy's hitherto unknown second cousin, the stuffy and straight-laced Marc Affine, played by Hugh Grant. When Marc arrives to take charge of the creamery, the two lock horns as they engage in a madcap battle for control. Their antics soon boil over and the family business faces bankruptcy. Enter Brie Persille (Helen Hunt) cheese-maker extrodinaire. The two cousins quickly fall for their perky savior, and the competition switches to who can win her heart. The answer of course, is in the cheese. Featuring Jack Black as evil string-cheese entreprenuer, Rennet Kaas. One and a half stars.

The Rocky Balboa Picture Show
    thepaladin

thepaladin Holy Knight

The Rocky Balboa Picture Show

Sylvester Stallone in his latest outing as the two-fisted fighter must face the consequence of failing to work out when he is beaten in by Frank N. Furter (Tim Curry reprises the role, being unwilling to allow anyone else to play it)in a demo charity bout. Doubling up on his Tylenol Arthritis Formula and putting his knee braces away he struggles for a come back. Can he do it? Alan Rickman makes a surprise appearance as Mick's long lost son, who takes up the challenge of training the "champ".

The Star Wars Circle
    Culhwch

Culhwch Not actually a dinosaur. Staff Member

The Star Wars Circle (Forthcoming). Cashing in on the success of his father's smash hits The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, Colin Hanks stars in this thrilling rollercoaster ride as a movie blogger who discovers hidden meaning in George Lucas's Star Wars prequels. Teamed with a sassy Spanish television entertainment reporter (Harry Potter's Emma Watson, in a questionable attempt at breaking her stereotype), Hanks races against time and George Lucas's minions (mostly lawyers) to uncover the clues and unearth the dark secret behind the three films. In a spectacular conclusion, Hanks and Watson break into Skywalker Ranch and discover what many had long suspected - the prequels were indeed written by a hundred monkeys chained to a hundred typewriters.

Fakin' and Eggs
    Wybren

Wybren Crooked Warden

The Star Wars Circle
    The classic 1997 coming of age story about a group of outcast teenagers who come together through thier love of the Star Wars trilogy. Through the movies and their love of cosplay, these young teens come to discover their inner strength and that together, they can defeat the dark side..... The film has early breakthrough performances by Summer Glau, Natalie Portman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Jason Swartzman, Jason Segal and Topher Grace. Watch for cameos from Chewbacca and R2D2.

Revenge of the Mutant Ninja Mice from Mars

Edit*

OOps too late
    J Riff

J Riff The Ants are my friends..

Revenge of the Mutant Ninja Mice from Mars

Starring a bunch of mice picked up at the local pet store, this shockingly low-budgeted thriller is not for the squeamish. Casting aside the cutesy image of earlier MNMFM productions, Director Ridley Scott returns to Alien form, as the Mice pick off the people of Earth, one at a time. Makes the Australian mouse plague look like a walk in the park. Highly recommended.
    J Riff

J Riff The Ants are my friends..

Woop.

The Avatarian Abominations
    Moonbat

Moonbat Luna tick

Fakin' and Eggs (The Avatarian Abominations)

Filmed in the traditional 'film bleu' style this interplanetary whodunnit sees avatar detective Bruce Wallis (played by Harold Macmillan) taking on the black market in illegal trade of Toruk eggs. After several years spent sucessfully infiltrating a criminal gang he discovers that the Eggs being traded are actually fakes created by the dyslexic Na'vi avatar known locally as Demi Less. When confronted Demi races against Wallis to the gang head quarters on Pandora. Persued by an eager space traffic cop Wallis must use all his wits and bribery skills to keep his name as dirty as mud and stay deep under cover. (1975)

They took my pants!
    Starbeast

Starbeast Benevolent Galaxy Being

They Took My Pants (1942)

A three part documentary about Horace B. Softbottom. He was the man that created the ever popular sturdy pants called "blue jeans" in 1538. Unfortunately at the time, Horace dyed the pants royal blue in color and sold his first pair of jeans to King Doopis who became upset because after at short time the jeans color began to fade. Mr Softbottom was then imprisoned and his tailor shop was closed and sold to Chester Drawers who saw the potential for the sale of faded jeans. (B/W & 180 minutes)

Monty Python and the Call of Cthulhu
    thepaladin

thepaladin Holy Knight

Monty Python and the Call of Cthulho

A strange attempt to repeat the success of some other Monty Python classics this movie is know by only a few Python fanatics. Made in the late 80's, director Soth Yog'na this is one of Graham Chapman's last films. The entire Python team here set out on one of Python's trade mark disjointed but creative romps through a small town in New England. Sadly the fact that almost everyone on the production crew has ended up with life time commitments to mental health institutions and several vanished completely marked the film as a "bad luck" piece from the start and any connection with it is feared in movie making circles more than even the ill fated Poltergeist series. It is also worth noting that two well known serial killers were grips on the film. Now to even mention the title of this work during the making of a movie is enough to have production shut down.

To Have and Not on Hoth
    Starbeast

Starbeast Benevolent Galaxy Being

To Have and Not on Hoth (2008)

This documentary is the true story about the final days in the trajic tale of the film and production crew that were accidently left behind on location in Greenland where the movie The EMPIRE STRIKES BACK was filmed.

In 2005, a team of explorers discovered the frozen bodies of the last two men who had survived the longest by resorting to cannibalism.
    WARNING: This film contains graphic images! (86 minutes)

The EVIL HUNCHBACK WEREWOLF and the PRETTY PONY PRINCESS
    ColdBurn

ColdBurn New Member

The Evil Hunchback Werewolf and the Pretty Pony Princess

Animated tale of Quasi-Loup-Garou, bell-ringer of the cathedral/fortress of Notre Dame, and of Breezie Pretty Pony, Gypsy princess. Sentenced to death for soiling the sidewalk, Breezie awaits the gallows. She is rescued at the last minute by a swooping and love-smitten Loup-Garou, who saves her at ropes length and swings her into sactuary in the venerated cathedral. All is well, until the rising of the full moon, when Loup-Garou transforms into a horrible werewolf with a taste for horsemeat. He devours Breezie in one sitting, and pick his teeth with her bones to the cheers of the townsfolk. One and a half stars.

Dog Day Afternoon: The Musical
    Moonbat

Moonbat Luna tick

Dog Day Afternoon: The Musical

(1987) Filled with wonderfully forgettable songs such as 'She maybe a He but He's my Woman' and 'Sugar Shock' this musical adaptation of the classic bank heist film with a twist will have you cheering for Sonny and skipping gaily down the aisles. Truly five star entertainment. Sing along with me!
    'I wanna chopper,
    whaddaya mean I can't have a chopper,
    listen to me you stinking old copper,
    get me chopper now!
    Ok, I'll take a car,
    I don't why
    but you're making me drive,
    I'll take a car but then I will fly away!
    It's just another dog day!

One pencil too many
    Lenny

Lenny Edit Ninja In Training

Glad to see that this has kicked off. :) I must have started with a hard one!

One Pencil Too Many

A directing debut for William H. Smith, One Pencil Too Many is the first from a new genre of film - Tragic Romance. It opens with Bill Munroe, a stationery salesman from Bury who has everything - a loving wife, a drinking buddy, a loyal dog and the best house on the council estate. He comes home one night to find his dog curled up around the feet of his drinking buddy. Unfortunately, things turn from bad to worse as his wife leaves him and the council repossess his house. The film follows Bill on his downward spiral into depression and drug addiction and ends with Bill holding up a bank with a handful of pencils inside a plastic bag as the SWAT team arrives.

The Gingerbread Revolution
    Tansy

Tansy Northern Monkey

I seem to have kick started a revolution :)

The Gingerbread Revolution

Set in turn of century London around a sinister bakers shop, what exactly is baked into these revolutionary products? Another failed baker with a god complex, so it seems, but who can overcome this invasion of sugar?

Only our diabetic hero Jake Sugar can circumvent the machinations of the dastardly Gingerbread Overlord Doc Sinamon, how? Well watch and find out

To infinity and beyond
    thepaladin

thepaladin Holy Knight

To Infinity and Beyond

Tim Allen, Charisma Carpenter and Paul Reubens team up to take on the galaxy in a musical extravaganza. Alan, a star-ship captain named Joe Skytriper meets the Galactic Emperor Beluga Slymieor (played surprisingly deadpan by Reubens). Things look to be going badly for earth when (supported by the June Taylor Dancers) Buzzett Lightyear ( Played exuberantly by Carpenter) arrives to save the day.

Horror of the Care Bears