Hello, etc!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pdurrant, Apr 13, 2010.

pdurrant

pdurrant New Member

Hi Everyone,

I normally hang out at Mobileread, but I thought I'd dip my toes in a more UK-centred forum, and this one because I mostly read science fiction & fantasy.

I'm afraid I'm a cliché - an SF fan who's also a computer programmer. I work mostly for companies in the publishing industry - newspapers, magazines, book publishers. And in the past few years I've also published a few books myself, mostly as a hobby (NB Published, not written!).

I think it'll take me a while to find my way around the forums. Now to bookmark things so I can find my place again...
    chrispenycate

chrispenycate resident pedantissimo Staff Member

This was a good choice, yes. Unless, of course, you intended to leave again; the addiction factor's pretty high (and we lost the exit door. Minor problem; you didn't want out, anyway, did you?)
    Sleeplessness is endemic, but you can keep your sanity if you like. Most of us don't (well, assuming that the regulars had any to keep in the first place.)

A freelance publisher, eh? One of you isn't going to counterbalance the vast number of wanabee writers that hand around, but the social dynamic should be interesting to observe. *Unfolds bookie's table and starts calculating odds)

Oh, where are my manners? Welcome to this improbable establishment, where chaos theory beats statistics for predicting actions. Beverages can be obtained in the asylum (in the lounge) or, of Freda's between puzzles, in the Chron bar, against Pringles. A cast of thousands awaits your interests. Maps are useless; the expansion into extra dimensions to allow for overspill meant that projection into a mere two left everything unsaid.

Some of the inhabitants are a little strange, but don't let that worry you – you can start hysteria when you meet the others. Reality was overrated, anyway; this is cheaper and only slightly more dangerous than dropping acid to escape it.

Live free and post.
    pdurrant

pdurrant New Member

Thanks! I fear that between here and Mobileread I may end up with no time for anything else at all...
    Boneman

Boneman Active Member

Waddy mean - 'may'... it's a definite!! Welcome to an oasis of sanity in an otherwise completely mad world - wait, no that's not right - catch 22... Oh well. enjoy it here, there is literally everything a person needs, somewhere. It will take you ages to find it all, and that is most of the fun!
    Rosemary

Rosemary The Wicked Sword Maiden

Greetings and Welcome to The Chronicles :)
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Hi and welcome aboard.

Behave, Freda.
    Interference

Interference Destroyer of Words

Welcome to a wonderland of - erm ... wonder :eek:

Have a lot of fun :)
    pdurrant

pdurrant New Member

Thanks for all the welcomes.
    Grimward

Grimward Where matter vanishes...

And from me too, pd. As per usual, Chrispy's covered the salient points, although a seldom-recognized symptom of the time issue involves a certain lowering of standards where personal hygiene and dress code are concerned, but let's face it; if you formerly were able to telecommute unshaven (for example) in your bunny slippers *shrugs apologetically at HareBrain*, you're right at home, and fashionably attired even, with them here....

There. That's put paid, and may many happy hours here be yours!

Grim
    Daisy-Boo

Daisy-Boo Purr-fectly crazy

Welcome!

We're always happy to see new inmates...er...well anyway, moving along swiftly.

I'm sure you'll like it here. There is something for everyone and you won't be short of a lively discussion or two.

regards
    Daisy-Boo
    SpaceShip

SpaceShip Outta sight

Welcome pdurrant - enjoy!
    Dr.Jackson

Dr.Jackson Certified Space Monkey

Hello and Welcome to the Chrons!