F1 2010. (caution - may contain result spoilers just after a race...)

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Foxbat, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

The new season is about to get under way and with one current and three ex-world champions on the grid, it looks like a good year for racing. Hopefully things will be close and go down to the wire.

I’m really hoping to see a fine showing from Lotus (yes, I know it’s not the real Lotus of old but it’s just good to see the name back on the grid).

As for the championship – Alonso is the man I’m tipping to take the crown.
    Vettel could be up there somewhere close. I think Schumacher will end up around third place and Hamilton will fare better than Button.

But, frankly, I don’t care who wins as long as it is in a Ferrari.:D
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

Bahrain GP.....Good to see Alonso get first win in red but it was a very poor race.

A lot of people are saying that it's the new rules causing the problem. Bahrain has never been very exciting so we shall have to wait and see what it's like at other tracks. If, for example, the magnificent Spa Francorchamps produces a race as poor as this then the rules will need to be changed.

Hope things improve in Australia.
    thaddeus6th

thaddeus6th Active Member

I feel a bit sorry for Vettel. Best driver in terms of both skill and personality, once again let down by an unreliable car.

I agree that the race was pretty dull. Without the mechanical issues, Alonso and Vettel may have ended up tussling for first. Rosberg was unimpressive trying to catch Vettel (after the latter's car was slightly broken). Overall, worse than with refuelling.

I've read somewhere or other that if it doesn't improve in the next few races it's possible that they'll force teams to pit twice. Not sure how much difference that would make, to be honest.
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

Yes, Vettel was unlucky but he is a fine young driver and I'm sure he will be World Champ one day. The Red Bull always seems to be fast but fragile - plus it's a risk you take when you try something different (new design of exhaust).

As for bringing in mandatory two stops......seems a bit silly as two and three stop strategies were primarily for fuel (and being able to run the car as light as possible throughout the race). They'd be just as well giving everybody a drive through penalty and save the pit guys the extra work. :rolleyes:

It will take a few races to see just what the problem is (after all, this isn't the first time in F1 they've run without refuelling).
    thaddeus6th

I think Prost has said that in a few races the changes will bed in and the drivers and teams will get better at handling them. It is a huge change, and, as you said, Bahrain isn't exactly Interlagos when it comes to excitement.
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

Let's hope Prost is correct in his assessment and things improve. My trip to Spa for the Belgian Grand Prix is already booked and paid for so I hope I'm not wasting my hard earned cash.
    Quokka

Quokka wandering

Such a disappointing first race. I was really looking forward to the new season with schumi back, the driver pairings, new teams and less winglets I thought they'd be a lot to like about 2010 but it looks like untill they find a way to overcome the dirty air issue and have cars on the track that don't lose performance when they are tailing another car there's always going to be a lack of overtaking.

Not that it'll stop me watching F1 of course and there is always GP for the overtaking :).
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

Much better race in Australia. Not sure if it was the rain, the fact that drivers are getting used to the heavy fuelled cars or the fact that Bahrain was just so bad. Let's hope things keep improving.

Very sad that young mister Vettel had yet more car problems. If Red Bull get the reliability issues sorted, he will be a serious contender for the championship.

Lewis Hamilton had another nightmare in Oz and his parting comment about finding out who made his strategy call was not nice (as was his pre-race comment about Webber retiring). Finger pointing doesn't help anybody. Whitmarsh wisely took the sting out of the comment by stating that, ultimately, he is responsible for strategy calls.

Button surprised a lot of folk with his win (including me) - but well done to him. I'm sure it will be the first of many more for McLaren.

At least the man I have my money on (Alonso) scraped in a few more points.:)
    thaddeus6th

I agree, the race was really entertaining. A great shame for Vettel, he's deserved two wins and instead has a single 4th place so far.

Hamilton was childish and arrogant. If he 'deserved better' then he should've been faster and passed Alonso.
    biodroid

biodroid Expensive Gadget User

Hamilton is an idiot, he needs to grow up and and grow a brain, he drives recklessly and dangerously. Vettel is seriously not having a good season so far, they need to sort that car out then he will be like Shumi and win a lot of the time.
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

I'm not a huge Hamilton fan myself but I think he is an excellent racing driver and overtaking is one of his strong points. This is just what F1 needs, but he does need to grow up a little.

As for Vettel - I have absolutely no doubt that - given a reliable car - he is a multiple world champion in waiting. :)
    thaddeus6th

Qualifying was really exciting. McLaren and Ferrari are a set of muppets. I imagine the McLarens will pass many many cars (they've got great straight line speed, and the track has two straights separated only by a slow corner).

I hope Rosberg can do well.
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

A deserved win for Vettel and a good result for Rosberg. Webber will be kicking himself for leaving the door open at the first corner.

Great results (15th & 16th) for Chandock and Senna at Hispania Racing. Considering that this is their third Grand Prix (with no testing) these are good, solid positions. Hamilton put in another stormer and grabbed a few very deserved points.

Overall, not as good a race as Melbourne but still much better than Bahrain:)
    Fake Vencar

Fake Vencar Metaphorically Drunk

Hispania have surprised me, they seem more reliable than the Virgins at this early stage with no testing as you say.

I'm disappointed about the pace of the Sauber though; they fooled us all in winter testing with constant low fuel runs, which made them look like top 8/10 runners.
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

Yes. Sauber have been disappointing. I think the low fuel testing was more a question of financial survival (an attempt to attract sponsors) rather than annoy the fans with false hopes so I hesitatate to be to critical of them.

If I were Hispania, I'd concentrate my design on a solid, reliable (but slow) car for my first season. This may explain their overcoming the attrition rate.

Virgin have gone a bit risky by not using a wind tunnel and are probably more likely to encounter design and reliability issues. Good luck to them though:)
    thaddeus6th

Hehe, Virgin also need a bigger fuel tank :p

Great to see Vettel finally get a much deserved win. The top 6 are very close, and the top 5 are now separated by 4 points only.
    Quokka

Quokka wandering

I think there needs to be a new interim rule introduced until they get the overtaking/aero back on track. If there is no rain predicted the track must have sprinklers installed :).

I'm liking the new points system, points down to 10th so the lower teams can still be rewarded but a bigger advantage for getting 1st and onto the podium.
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

I definitely like the sprinkler idea. Methinks you should give Bernie a call:D
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

Latest rumour is that Massa's manager has opened talks with Renault.
    Sadly, Felipe just doesn't seem to be getting to grips with this year's Ferrari. I still think he's a fine racer but it will be very interesting to see the extremely impressive Kubica in a red car (if the rumours are true).
    thaddeus6th

It does seem a bit odd. I rate Massa highly, but he's generally performed below par. Kubica's a very good driver too.

I do wonder if the gremlins that cursed Raikonnen's McLaren days are now tormenting Vettel. For my money, the best driver in the field in the best car, should've won the first three races and yet seems cursed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.