First line of cover letter to agent

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Belador, Feb 16, 2010.

Belador

Belador New Member

Hi everyone,

I've looked for an answer to the below on this forum, in the Writers and Artists Handbook and online, and can't find exactly what I need to know, even though it sounds like it should be obvious. So I'm hoping someone here might be able to help :)

I'm not sure I've got the first line of my cover letter for initial submission to an agent right - I say: 'I would be grateful if you would consider representing my fantasy novel, Artisan, for publication.'

Is that technically correct, i.e. does an agent represent your novel, or you as a writer? Should it be something like 'I enclose a sample of my fantasy novel, Artisan, for your consideration' instead?

Any help would be much appreciated - I want to get at least this right ;)

B
    SJAB

SJAB The storyteller

This is what I used.

For a snail mail submission.

I would like to submit the synopsis and first three chapters of my novel, Hand of Glory, for your consideration.

For an email query.

I would like to submit the following query for my novel, Hand of Glory, for your consideration.

Seemed to work.
    J-WO

J-WO Pretentious Avatar Alert.

Do. you use a similar tack when sending a short story?

Ie: I would like to submit my short story, Star Giraffe, for your consideration.

Just wondering; I always come across as a bit of a dufus with my covering letter.
    SJAB

SJAB The storyteller

Yes,:D or versions of, sometimes with word count or stating it is a flash fiction.
    Belador

Belador New Member

Thanks SJAB, I think I'll use something similar.