Disney takeover of Marvel: What's left to turn into film

Discussion in 'General Film Discussion' started by Justin_B, Feb 6, 2010.

Justin_B

Justin_B Temporally challenged

Disney's recent takeover of Marvel is likely to lead to more films based on comic book characters.
    The characters that have already been converted to cinema are not part of the deal, so we won't see Disney making Spiderman 5 or Fantastic 4 III etc.

So, my question is: Who's left to adapt to film ?

I think Thor could make an interesting adaptation.

Interested to read what others think about other marvel characters being put up on the big screen..
    Overread

Overread Direwolf of the chrons

I thought this happend a good year ago? Least I seem to recall reading about it a good while ago - unless that was just the preliminary talks
    Scifi fan

Scifi fan New Member

I'd say Captain America, not to mention Dr Strange (one of my favorites), and, perhaps, Luke Cage.

Marvel has a ton of potential film characters.
    Rodders

Rodders |-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

If i remember rightly, Disney didn't take this over for the films. Wasn't it to increase interest in the Disney brand among boys of a specific age group? There's still going to be a lot of interest in the comics and there's stil a host of characters and stories to be done in celuloud. I don't think that we'll be short of films from the Marvel stable of charcters for a long time. How bad these films are once they're churned out is another question.
    Justin_B

Justin_B Temporally challenged

@ Rodders: I recall reading the something similar. I'm not sure how strong comic sales are stateside, but major brand leverage these days seems to come through film, tv and subsequent mechandising. I think without strong contenders for film all Disney may have done is purchase market share not necessarily purchased a vehicle to grow that market share.

While it's true that there is the whole Marvel Universe to exploit I don't think there are too many characters left to make into mega-hits.
    pyan

pyan Fortiter et recte! Staff Member

Winters_Sorrow

Winters_Sorrow Unreg. Mutant Moderator Staff Member

Also Captain America (aka The First Avenger) is also looking pretty firm for adaption with casting imminent I think, if it's not already in pre-production.

As for other Marvel characters for films there's a large cast to choose from, it just depends whether or not they think there's an appetite for certain characters or not.
    There were rumours of doing a Dr. Strange film but it might be a bit too kitsch to sell to a large audience.
    Brett Howell

Brett Howell Resident Sociopath

Deadpool is a definite - with Ryan Reynolds as Wade (the only person I think is actually capable of playing him) with Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Zombieland) writing. I have a good feeling about this one, if not the others, which is great since DP is my favorite Marvel character. (Especially since he definitely WON'T be the Wolverine: Origins version, but the comic version)

And according to io9, Captain American will get his costume because the higher ups don't want to risk their "super soldier" in combat and relegate him to a musical act in the war. If that's the case, I'm pretty much boycotting the movie.