Cover art for debut novel

Discussion in 'Ian Whates' started by Ian Whates, Jan 29, 2010.

Ian Whates

Ian Whates Author and Editor

thaddeus6th

thaddeus6th Active Member

That looks damned good :)
    BookStop

BookStop If you see a stranger...

gorgeous!
    Moonbat

Moonbat Luna tick

Wow, that is beautful.
    But its got no name! ;)
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

Very lovely. As a matter of interest, is that how you described/envisaged the room it portrays? I've always wondered about the relation of the cover art to the book and how the author him/herself envisioned things.
    JDP

JDP Never told a lie. Ever.

Gorgeous cover, Ian. Congrats!
    Ian Whates

Thanks, everyone!

Yes and no, Judge. The room as I'd envisaged doesn't have any windows, and if it did they'd look out onto open sky with the ground some distance below, so those elements are artistic licence.

However, the vast organic/mechanical engine at the centre is pretty much as described, and the figure looking on from the gallery at the back is one of the book's central protagonists, who's stumbled into the chamber by accident. So it's a combination of what I originally envisaged plus the artist's own embellishments... and I'm certainly not complaining about the results! :)
    pom

pom New Member

very impressive. did you have any imput in the design or did you leave it to the artist ?
    Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Goblin Princess Staff Member

That is going to make an amazing cover, Ian.
    The Procrastinator

The Procrastinator 1 Candlepower Brain

Just lovely! Excellent cover.
    Omphalos

Omphalos הדרךקפיצת

That is purdy.
    dask

dask dark and stormy knight

Wow! Who says they don't make covers like they used to? Well, I guess I did --- but I correct myself. Fantastic!:)
    GOLLUM

GOLLUM Moderator Staff Member

That's actually fairly typical of Greg's work, although that is one of his more gorgeous looking productions.

He's one of our country's best graphic artists.

Here's a link to his online gallery for anyone who is interested.... Greg Bridges: Gallery
    Ian Whates

The artist was recommended to me by the publisher. I had a look at some of his work and readily agreed.

The publishers and I then discussed a number of potential cover images. This wasn't my first choice because the scene depicted is a comparatively minor one in terms of the story, but they prefered it, feeling this would make for a stong image which conveyed something of the essence of Thaiburley -- the city in which the book is set. I defered to their experience.

The cover artist then produced three roughs of potential covers and I was given the option of which I wanted for the final image; I chose this one... and, boy, I'm glad I did!
    Stephen Palmer

Stephen Palmer author of novels

Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

Excellent cover art, Ian: it would pique my interest if I saw it in a bookshop (which is, of course, its primary purpose, though I'll not mind if others' interests are pique as well ;):)).

On the assumption (given it's dimensions) that this picture is wrapped (R to L) from the front cover, via the spine, to the back cover, the windows will not actually appear on the front of the book, so there's no "damage" done.
    Bontemps

Bontemps Waiting for an echo...

That art looks delicious.
    I bet it''s gonna be so cool seeing that in stores.

(adds it to list of books to buy)
    Patrick Mahon

Patrick Mahon Would-be author

Great artwork Ian - I look forward to seeing it in the shops! By the way, when is the book coming out?
    Moggle

Moggle New Member

The artwork is incredible, but I don't even have a clue what your book is about just from looking at. A title would help.
    Ian Whates

The book is called City of Dreams and Nightmare, Moggle. It's set in the city of Thaiburley, sometimes called 'The City of Dreams' but known by those who live in its lowest levels as 'the City of Nightmare'. This is urban fantasy of the old definition (ie not a vampire in sight), though with heavy steampunk and SF overtones.

I twisted the arm of a couple of friends to read the manuscript and they kindly provided me with the following cover quotes:

"Born story-teller Ian Whates takes us on a gripping, terrifying trip-of-a-lifetime, through the heights and depths of the exotically grim city of Thaiburley, in this excellent SF thriller." That from Tanith Lee (they changed it to 'fantasy thriller' on the website).

While Liz Williams said, "Adventures in a nightmare citadel - a story that hits the ground running and doesn't let up."

The publishers say a little more here:
    City of Dreams & Nightmare / Ian Whates :: Angry Robot Books

It's a very strange feeling waiting for this to come out... and hoping that somebody will want to read it! :eek: