Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories

I have also read very little in this subgenre before, one of the criticisms leveled by some reviewers who had apparently read quite widely in this subgenre up to now and had not felt this collection offered anything particularly new or fresh for them.
I don't really understand this criticism. There's a huge variety of stories in this collection, both new and classic. A wide range of themes were covered and, I thought, showed just how broad ranging this particular sub-genre can be.

Obviously, it is unlikely one will love all of the stories therein but I would be very suprised if one does not find at least a few gems in there no matter what one has read previously.

I have also read very little in this subgenre before, one of the criticisms leveled by some reviewers who had apparently read quite widely in this subgenre up to now and had not felt this collection offered anything particularly new or fresh for them.

There have been a few interesting criticisms, Gollum, this being one. Bearing in mind there are three new stories commissioned specifically for this volume (by Stephen Baxter, Ken MacLeod and James Morrow) plus a piece that's never appeared in English before (by Pierre Gévart), I don't really see how the argument is valid. Particularly as we included several more contemporary (though still excellent) pieces that had never been collected before, such as Ian R MacLeod's, Chris Roberson's and Rudy Rucker's.

Yes, the classics are here, such as Fritz Leiber's, Kim Stanley Robinson's and Keith Roberts', but our aim was to encapsulate the very best of Alternative History stories, old and new, within one volume, so the classics were essential.

The idea was that if anyone was looking to buy just one AltHist book, it should be this one.

Thanks FE, glad you enjoyed the book! :)

Yes, the classics are here, such as Fritz Leiber's, Kim Stanley Robinson's and Keith Roberts', but our aim was to encapsulate the very best of Alternative History stories, old and new, within one volume, so the classics were essential.

The idea was that if anyone was looking to buy just one AltHist book, it should be this one.
Which is exactly the reason I purchased it...:)

I tend to source anthologies that encapsulate the very best a particular Genre or sub Genre has to offer as it ties is with the representative nature of my private library. The fact the collection boasts a very fine lineup of authors only further convinced me this was a good collection to acquire.

I look forward to reading it soon.

I picked up a copy of this today, along with the Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF, in Waterstones, Belfast. Looking forward to reading both.

Is the cover a sort of 'Fritz Leiber's actor dad was really David Tennant in another reality' style kind of thing?