Is RTD Carrying the Torch across the Pond?

Discussion in 'Torchwood' started by Ursa major, Jan 19, 2010.

Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

There's another Guardian article linked to this:
    Interference

Interference Destroyer of Words

Maybe they'll do it properly - oh, sorry, just read the bit where it says RTD is writing it. I do so apologise to the Universe for allowing myself the luxury of Hope, even for a moment.
    j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, but I have absolutely no faith in American productions of British programs -- experience has taught me the difference between "hope" and "self-delusion" on this one.... And even if (a big if, considering the way that business runs here) a British team were "in charge" of the project, American producers and network execs will simply not be able to keep their little pinkies out of it.

And Fox... you mean the ones who canceled darned near every show they've had worth watching before it had a chance to show what it could do....?
    Justin_B

Justin_B Temporally challenged

If they do to Torchwood what was done to 'Life on Mars' it won't be worth the silicon it's digitised on
    Interference

Interference Destroyer of Words

If they could do with Torchwood - er ... well, anything that would make it watchable at all ... I'll personally send a thank-you note to Rupert - and you've no idea what a huge step that would be for me ...

They let X-Files run and run until it ran out of steam - on the other hand they dropped Brisco County Jr because of it :(
    dustinzgirl

dustinzgirl Mod of Awesome

Yeah, that.
    Dr.Jackson

Dr.Jackson Certified Space Monkey

I really don't know which side fo the fence I'm on with this one. I like Torchwood, and so a move to the States with the original cast might be a bonus, not only in terms of possibly a larger budget, but also the increase in scope for stories that they'll have. Aliens may no longer exclusively threaten Cardiff and London, but as with 'Children of Earth', a more global plot will apparently be involved.

However, if they decide to do a complete rehash of it, and alas most UK/US remakes have been rather more making a hash of it, in order to appeal to a broader US audience then it may very well disappear up its own Rift.

What I'm more concerned about was a comment in this article
    Fox readying U.S. version of 'Torchwood' -- The Live Feed | THR

which says "(Jane) Tranter might try to reboot “Doctor Who” for U.S. audience..." My initial reaction was along the lines of 'oh dear God, no!'
    j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

That one's been tried, too... it was an abysmal failure. (No offense to McGann, who I think could have made a fine Doctor if he'd had something other than pure cliche and crap to work with....) Surely Fox wouldn't be so stupid as to... oh, wait, that was Fox, wasn't it....?:rolleyes:
    littlemissattitude

littlemissattitude Super Moderator

The whole idea of an American version of Torchwood on Fox just terrifies me. They'll ruin it. If they keep the original characters (well, the ones they have left), they won't let Jack be Jack. It will be awful.

Just, no.
    Cobolt

Cobolt Dreamer

Fox is not running the Torchwood Season 4, another channel named Starz is taking the franchise forward with BBC Worldwide and will be part bank rolled by BBC Worldwide there first foray into Drama. Captain Jack and possibly Gwen will return for 10 episodes with RTD at the helm.Parts to be filmed in Wales!!! and will have an international flavour.
    darkerdave

darkerdave New Member

lol :D :D :D :D
    Krystal

Krystal New Member

The new one is called Torchwood: The New World. It sounds promising, hopefully it will be great.
    Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

And according to Wiki, the US partner is now Starz and no longer Fox.