Crime Masterworks Series

GOLLUM

OK folks,

Following our recent discussions regarding the Masterwork series (SF and fantasy) I thought I would try to see if I could source a list of the less discussed and now defunct Crime Masterworks series.

Well, somewhat to my chagrin (although hardly surprising given the publisher’s track record on maintaining their other Masterworks lists) I discovered that there did not appear to be an online list of this series, so yours truly went trawling through Amazon in attempt to compile said list.

Why you ask? Well, mainly because having already become annoyed with the lack of maintenance shown with the other lists, I felt the members here, particularly those keen on crime fiction like Conn, deserved to at least have a listing of what was potentially available.

The following is what I came up with, based on order of publication date of the paperback editions. I know the first 1-9 were numbered in the series (I own a copy of Number 1 – Maltese Falcon) but beyond that, as some publications were released on the same day, I have no clear way of being absolutely certain what the number allocation was. Therefore, I’ve simply listed these more or less in publication order.

From what I can ascertain, the final Crime Masterworks publication, Savage Night, was published 16 December 2006.

I must confess to only having heard of maybe 1/4 of those listed but then I’m not a crime aficionado.

If anyone has a confirmed list, e.g. the two Ians, of the Crime Masterworks series or is able to categorically confirm any titles that were never actually published in this series, then please post here.

Cheers…

*Some observations/comments:
1. I noticed that a handful of the titles had the term Abandoned beside them, which may indicate they were never published. However, as I was able to find other references without this tag, I suspect 2-3 may possibly not have been published under the banner of Crime Masterworks but the vast majority of those listed I am confident were published.
2. A select few of the listed titles appear to have also been published in Hardback, as is currently occurring with the SF Masterwork edns. However, as all of these titles were also published in paperback, this list is based on the paperback publication dates.
3. Like the other Masterwork series, several names appear to crop up a number of times in the series but it seems a lot more prevalent here than in the other 2 lists. Arguably, this compromises the series but as I’m not an authority on crime fiction, then perhaps these really are the “greatest” crime novels of the past, although given the fact there are no novels by e.g. Raymond Chandler, I remain yet to be convinced.

Crime Masterworks Series

The Maltese Falcon – Dashiell Hammett
Sherlock Holmes's Great Cases – Arthur Conan Doyle
Other Paths to Glory – Anthony Price
The Deep Blue Goodbye - John D. MacDonald
The Getaway - Jim Thompson
Double Indemnity - James M. Cain
The Murders in the Rue Morgue – Edgar Allan Poe
Ice - Ed McBain
The Laughing Policeman – Sjowall & Wahloo
The Choirboys - Joseph Wambaugh
The Glass Key - Dashiell Hammett
The Hollow Man - John Dickson Carr
The Big Clock - Kenneth Fearing
Rogue male – Geoffrey Household
The Specialty Of The House – Stanley Ellin
The Killer Inside Me – Jim Thompson
Dance Hall Of The Dead – Tony Hillerman
The Best Of Father Brown – G K Chesterton
Night webs – Cornell Woolrich
Briarpatch – Ross Thomas
Black Money – Ross MacDonald
Beast in View – Margaret Millar
The Blue Room – Georges Simenon
Mildred Pierce – James M. Cain
The Dain Curse – Dashiell Hammett
Hammett – Joe Gores
Pop 1280 – Jim Thompson
Sadie When She Died – Ed McBain
The Steam Pig – James McClure
Red Harvest – Dashiell Hammett
The Eighth Circle – Stanley Ellin
Anatomy Of A Murder – Robert Traver
The Old Vengeful – Anthony Price
The Stain On The Snow – Georges Simenon
The Grifters – Jim Thompson
The Eighth Circle – Stanley Ellin
Roseanna – Sjowall and Wahloo
After Dark My Sweet – Jim Thompson
The Continental Op (short story collection – Dashiell Hammett
Interface – Joe Gores
Nothing More Than Murder – Jim Thompson
Serenade– James M. Cain
Midnight Plus One – Gavin Lyall
A Hell Of A Woman – Jim Thompson
The Labyrinth Makers - Anthony Price
The Big Knockover – Dashiell Hammett
The Postman Always Rings Twice – James M. Cain
A Swell-Looking Babe – Jim Thompson
Savage night – Jim Thompson

Having read most of those authors they are truly the greatest of the greatest. Chandler is important sure but there is Hammett the original of his kind. Not like Chandler have problems getting his books published in UK.....

Most of those books are not available it seems though. Specially Jim Thompson ones and most of the authors. They must be out of print like a few of the Fantasy Masterworks. I checked Orion site for current Crime Masterwork books and they arent more 10 currently.

I have a list - but it's at home. I will post this evening.

This is the list I have:

#1 The Maltese Falcon, Dashiell Hammett
#2 Sherlock Holmes’ Greatest Cases, A Conan Doyle
#3 Other Paths to Glory, Anthony Price
#4 The Deep Blue Goodbye, John D MacDonald
#5 The Getaway, Jim Thompson
#6 Double Indemnity, James M Cain
#7 The Murders in the Rue Morgue, Edgar Allen Poe
#8 Ice, Ed McBain
#9 The Laughing Policeman, Sjowall & Wahloo
#10 The Choirboys, Joseph Wambaugh
#11 The Glass Key, Dashiell Hammett
#12 The Hollow Man, John Dickson Carr
#13 The Big Clock, Kenneth Fearing
#14 Rogue Male, Geoffrey Household
#15 The Speciality of the House, Stanley Ellin
#16 Dance Hall of the Dead, Tony Hillerman
#17 The Killer Inside Me, Jim Thompson
#18 The Best of Father Brown, GK Chesterton
#19 Nightwebs, Cornell Woolrich
#20 Briarpatch, Ross Thomas
#21 The Labyrinth Makers / Anthony Price
#22 Beast in View / Margaret Millar
#23 Black Money / Ross Macdonald
#24 The Blue Room / George Simenon
#25 Mildred Pierce / James M Cain
#26 Hammett / Joe Gores
#27 The Dain Curse / Dashiell Hammett
#28 Pop. 1280, Jim Thompson
#29 Sadie When She Died / Ed McBain
#30 Red Harvest / Dashiell Hammett
#31 Anatomy of a Murder / Robert Travers
#32 The Old Vengeful, Anthony Price
#33 The Stain on the Snow, George Simenon
#34 The Grifters, Jim Thompson
#35 The Eighth Circle, Stanley Ellin
#36 Roseanna, Maj Sjowall
#37 After Dark, My Sweet, Jim Thompson
#38 The Continental Op, Dashiell Hammett
#39 Interface, Joe Gores
#40 Nothing More Than Murder, Jim Thompson
#41 The Postman Always Ring Twice, James M Cain
#42 Midnight Plus One, Gavin Lyall
#43 Serenade, James M Cain
#44 A Hell of a Woman, Jim Thompson
#45 Savage Night, Jim Thompson
#46 A Swell Looking Babe, Jim Thompson
#47 The Big Knockover, Dashiell Hammett

Thanks Ian, that's looks spot on. I had all of those and only some out of numeric order.

The only extra item I had, which was one of those items that had the Abandoned label beside it was: The Steam Pig – James McClure.

I can't actually see anyone who is either selling or read a Masterwork edn. of that book, so safe to say it was scrapped.

For anyone who was curious, here's a blurb about the book and its author.

In this crime story a body of a woman is sent to the police surgeon by mistake. He discovers that she died not from cardiac weakness, but from an almost imperceptible wound made by a bicycle spoke - a method of murder peculiar to certain Bantu gangsters. James McClure won the Crime Writers Association Gold Dagger for "The Steam Pig" and later won the Silver Dagger for one of his other novels. He has also written a number of short stories and two works of non-fiction on policing in Liverpool and San Diego.

Having read most of those authors they are truly the greatest of the greatest. Chandler is important sure but there is Hammett the original of his kind. Not like Chandler have problems getting his books published in UK.....

Most of those books are not available it seems though. Specially Jim Thompson ones and most of the authors. They must be out of print like a few of the Fantasy Masterworks. I checked Orion site for current Crime Masterwork books and they aren't more 10 currently.
Hopefully the list that is now up will help some. They're almost all available via Amazon UK and USA.

Whether Chandler has/had issues about being published in the UK, I still would have had him in my list bit possibly publication issues play a part here as per the other Masterwork series.

Cheers....

The three Anthony Price novels, incidentally, are recommended, but they're not crime novels. Price wrote a series about a department of MI6, featuring the same cast of characters. They're excellent novels, but they're spy fiction.

I have some of these books; a good and varied series.

Jacques Barzan, who I believe once co-edited a similar series of Crime Fiction masterpieces, speaks very highly of Chandler as a literary critic - an aspect of his personality that is apparently revealed in his letters. Does anyone know of a good edition of these?

I have some of these books; a good and varied series.

Jacques Barzan, who I believe once co-edited a similar series of Crime Fiction masterpieces, speaks very highly of Chandler as a literary critic - an aspect of his personality that is apparently revealed in his letters. Does anyone know of a good edition of these?
Please clarify....do you mean Crime Fiction Masterpieces OR Collection of Chandler's letters/correspondence?

OK, I notice you're still online but perhaps you've gone to commune with the cat....so reading your post again I'm pretty sure you are asking about the letters.

Well there are 2 sources, one that focuses on Chandler's letters, the other that focuses on a subset of his letters from the first book AND some of his non-fiction. Therefore if you are more after, as I'm guessing, a broader "reader" style format .w.r.t non-fiction incl. his letters then I would suggest the latter book. Both are available, affordable and in PB.

Letters:

Amazon.com: Selected Letters of Raymond Chandler (9780385295314): Raymond Chandler: Books

Letters and non-fiction:

Amazon.com: The Raymond Chandler Papers: Selected Letters and Nonfiction 1909-1959 (9780802139467): Tom Hiney, Frank MacShane: Books

There are also Notebooks of Raymond Chandler that I am not familiar with but they don't appear from the comments to be as highly regarded or useful.....more taken form the point of view of Chandler and others of "How To Write a best selling thriller"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0061227447/?tag=brite-21

Hope that helps.

Further to my earlier comment on Anthony Price's novels. Here are the titles of the 19 books in the "Dr David Audley / Colonel Jack Butler" series. They can be read in any order, so if you stumble across any in a local charity shop or second-hand book shop, they're definitely worth picking up.

The Labyrinth Makers (1970)
The Alamut Ambush (1971)
Colonel Butler’s Wolf (1972)
October Men (1973)
Other Paths To Glory (1974)
Our Man In Camelot (1975)
War Game (1976)
The ‘44 Vintage (1978)
Tomorrow’s Ghost (1979)
Soldier No More (1981)
The Hour Of The Donkey (1982)
The Old Vengeful (1982)
Gunner Kelly (1983)
Sion Crossing (1985)
Here Be Monsters (1985)
For The Good Of The State (1986)
A New Kind Of War (1987)
A Prospect Of Vengeance (1988)
The Memory Trap (1989)

I did mean Chandler's letters, GOLLUM.

The Stain on the Snow by George Simenon is an excellent novel. While Simenon's Inspector Maigret novels would have made a good fit for this list, Penguin generally has a few in print at any point of time, so this is a welcome addition to the series. I should mention that NYRB Classics and No Exit Press also publish several of Simenon's novels.

I did mean Chandler's letters, GOLLUM.

While Simenon's Inspector Maigret novels would have made a good fit for this list...
In that case my efforts weren't wholly wasted...:rolleyes:

My father, having a French background, introduced us to the Maigret novels more than 20 years ago. I think he's read most of those Simenon novels and by all accounts, a worthy addition to the "crime fiction hall of fame".

Hopefully the list that is now up will help some. They're almost all available via Amazon UK and USA.

Whether Chandler has/had issues about being published in the UK, I still would have had him in my list bit possibly publication issues play a part here as per the other Masterwork series.

Cheers....

The list that is up now is several Hammett, a Sherlock Holmes,James M Cain's Postman rings twice, a few solo books by other less known writers.

The books have a great layout,format that is nice for the eyes. Thats why i get my Hammett books from Crime Masterwork series and not from Vintage/Black Lizard crime.

The books have a great layout,format that is nice for the eyes. Thats why i get my Hammett books from Crime Masterwork series and not from Vintage/Black Lizard crime.
Yes I agree, very attractive covers! However, as we've discussed in the past, you can't go past that really excellent Black Lizard Anthology Big Book Of Pulps. I presume you are still after a copy?

@Knivesout: If you do source a copy of Chandler's non-fiction, I look forward to reading your thoughts about the book(s)....:)

For those of you who like your crime a little more hard-boiled, Hard Case Crime have been re-issuing old pulp crime novels with suitable artwork. I have to admit, some of them look really cool. And there are a couple of surprising names in their list too. See their list of books here.

Hard Case Crime is old news to me, i have 7,8 books of them with my fav authors, a few new ones i try. The books are so cheap and the line is perfect for Noir fans like me.

Gollum: Of course i will get the big book of pulp. Last year i discovered a certain Hammett(heh :p) and read 5,6 books,collections,fell for his prose,realer than real hard-boiled PI stories. I forgot about that anthology.

Gollum: Of course i will get the big book of pulp. Last year i discovered a certain Hammett(heh :p) and read 5,6 books,collections,fell for his prose,realer than real hard-boiled PI stories. I forgot about that anthology.
I've hardly touched it so far but it does look excellent. Especially good for someone wanting to discover new names in crime fiction I would say.