Stephen King's IT

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
Sorry guys, i couldn't find another thread on this.

So, after 20 years, i've decided to re-read this incredible book. (It's only taken me this long because i once tried to watch the TV movie and it just completely ruined this book for me.)

There seems to be a fair amount of division on this book. Some people think gthat it's massively overwritten and that SK is just rambleing along, Personally i thought that it was one of the best books that i have ever read. Mainly because i really felt as though i knew the characters as i seemed to "grow up" with them. Someone on another forum described Stephen King as not the king of Horror, but the king of nostalgia when describing this book.

I just wondered what my fellow Chrons thought of this particular book?

Years since I read it, think it was my first King book.I found it a good read. Like you I felt I was growing up with the characters and could really connect with them.My memory is a little hazy but IT gave me a healthy fear of clowns specially ones with balloons. Also enjoyed meeting Mike again in Insomnia even if it was only a bit part.

Well i've tried to read it twice and failed. Its just too crammed with unnecessary minutiae to remain interesting past a certain point. Film is better!

I think it's King's last great horror story, before he changed his style somewhat. I like the child-logic of the kids fighting Pennywise. I know a lot of people are shocked by a certain scene with the kids in the sewers, but seems to fit in for me.

It's the detail that makes this book so memorable though. I too really felt like i knew and grew up with these children.

This was definately one of those books that "Got to me".

I read half of it then leant it to my friend so he can read it on the plane to america then the book got swiped on the plane, and instead of getting the same book he bought me Dean Koontz's Sole Survivor which I did not enjoy. 12 years later my mom bought IT for me for my 29th birthday but I still got to get to read it.

Read it Biodroid and let us know what you think. As someone who hasn't read it fully before, you might be able to give some good objective critisisms.

Hehe, Rodders I don't know if "this was an awesomely awesome book" and "it was cool" could suffice but when I eventually get to it I will let you know :)

I'm about 600 pages in now and i'm wondering if this is not the only cycle.

I wonder if there is a group of children that are drawn together to fight IT when it awakes each 27 years. Obviously, they're unsuccessful. But it would seem odd that the group we read about are the only children to work out what's happening and had the will to fight.

Just a thought.

Phew. I've just finished. The bus journey's just not long enough dammit.

Personally, i thought that this was an amazing book that really captured the magic of childhood. Shame the last 200 pages were so weak though. I always got the impression that King had written this massive opus, but didn't know quite have any idea what to do for a grand finish. Still, i'd recommend it to anyone that likes great characterisation and a nice thick book to read.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people are shocked by a certain scene with the kids in the sewers, but seems to fit in for me.

That's the only problem I had. The book on the whole is one of the King's books I'd rate highly, but I still think that scene is unnecessary.

read Koontz's "Phantoms" recently and kept thinking it reminded me alot of King's "It".

Dan Simmons "Summer of Night" really reminded me of SK's IT. It's very good and different enough to be seperate too.

imhotep - Phantoms IMO was way more thrilling and scary. I had to put the book down a few times to pull myself together thats how freaked out I was.

Don't think I've ever read a King novel that was scary. Dramatic , yes , tense , certainly... but actually scary? I mean as in not wanting to turn the page to see what happens next , or having nightmares about what I've just read? Sorry , no.

Actually , thinking about it , the ending to the short story 'The Sun Dog' is REALLY creepy - but apart from that , nothing.

Still enjoy his novels ,mind

marvin - have you read Pet Sematary and The Shining? Those are some freaky books too, for sheer good story telling they blow Phantoms out the water but for eery-ness (not sure how it's spelt) I was having nightmares from PS and the 2 girls in The Shining, oh boy :)

marvin - have you read Pet Sematary and The Shining? Those are some freaky books too, for sheer good story telling they blow Phantoms out the water but for eery-ness (not sure how it's spelt) I was having nightmares from PS and the 2 girls in The Shining, oh boy :)

No , I've not. I've read about half his novels , and I must say they've all been enjoyable . Thanks for the advice ,I'll give Pet Semetary a whirl

I recently reread IT and I think in the eighties he must have not even bothered with an editor. There are painful parts to read - think Ben Hanscomb takes a drink - but really its a magnificant book just for its aplomb and ambition. However, I think the whole Turtle Maturin/ existential breakdown thing is especially interesting since it doesnt really make much sense until the dark tower books twenty years later. Before that it just kinda sat there making you thinkg what the **** is going on?