if you could go back in time (just once) what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rai, Dec 23, 2009.

rai

rai New Member

If you can go back in time just once, what would you do?

You don't have any super powers, but you can position yourself in such a time and place that you could have a big effect on the world or your personal life.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

I'd be frightened to do anything at all after all the stories I've read, and the films and TV I've seen. Even stepping on a Butterfly or speaking to someone would have far-reaching effects, and those effects are never what you expect, what you desire, or for the better. They always produce an alternative reality that is much worse that anything you experienced before. And the more you try to repair what you did the worse it gets.

Would that also be so in 'real life'? I expect it probably would. Just be an observer. Don't "do" anything.
    Rodders

Rodders |-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

What would i do, or what would i witness?

I'd like to go back and watch a particular grassy knoll.
    Majimaune

Majimaune Actum pro novus diem

To just over a year ago, around October last year. To do things right.

But I would like all the knowledge that I have now.
    Rosemary

Rosemary The Wicked Sword Maiden

Back to the 7th century to see if I have all the facts right!
    Sparrow

Sparrow Science fiction fantasy

Back I'd go two thousand years and witness a certain crucifixion.
    Interference

Interference Destroyer of Words

I have to be selfish about this, I think. But I'd also want the option to put things back as they are. I mean, maybe things are like they are for me, but maybe others would be worse off if I was better off, sort of thing, if you know what I mean. I guess I'd just like to know why.
    Omphalos

Omphalos הדרךקפיצת

Id go back to 1995 or so with some newspapers from 1999 forward and show George Lucas the press he got over The Phantom Menace. Either that or go back to 1974 and give myself a sports almanac.
    reiver33

reiver33 Only Forward

October the 16th, 1993. I'd try and make less mistakes.
    Rahl Windsong

Rahl Windsong Last of the Windsong Clan

I would go back to just before the last BIG lotto 6/49 and get the correct numbers....then return to just the right time to buy a ticket. hehe :)
    dustinzgirl

dustinzgirl Mod of Awesome

Who says I haven't already?
    BookStop

BookStop If you see a stranger...

i'd go back to last thursday and not eat 10 of the Christmas cookies my aunt sent; I'm sure I'd be content with only 8 or so.
    Daisy-Boo

Daisy-Boo Purr-fectly crazy

I'd go back to November 1972, when I had my photo taken for the first time. I'd give my upset 13-month old self a hug and a kiss.
    Moonbat

Moonbat Luna tick

I'd go back to April the 19th 1997 and tell myself to turn right at the t-junction
    dustinzgirl

dustinzgirl Mod of Awesome

If you went back in time and killed yourself, would you be dead when you went back in time?

I'd go back and create a rip in time with cataclysmic outcomes. Just cuz it would be awesome!

:p

OK I'm kidding.
    pyan

pyan Fortiter et recte! Staff Member

I'd like to go back to 20th October 1955, with a £10 note, and buy a first edition set of LotR...
    Clansman

Clansman Lochaber Axeman, QC

Better still, Py my fellow Tolkien trivia denizen, to 1937, and The Hobbit. Then, jump forward to 1955...and the rest would be history. And, I'd go with gold, because I'd have to have notes that were dated correctly, and enough notes so that I could buy several copies for my friends in http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/38232-the-revised-tolkien-trivia.html

I have the 1st of The Silmarillion, but so does everybody else. They must have printed a gagillion copies of that book. There are three first prints in my local second hand store alone...

I would also want to leave some money with an investing house that I know will still exist, and instructions to a solicitor as a trustee to make "certain" key investments and sales from time to time.

May as well make the most of it since I'm going... I also might have a word or two with Neville Chamberlain.
    Montero

Montero Active Member

I'd like to go back to meet my parents when they were in the prime of life, with myself as an adult. (Not known to them as their child.)
    They both were ill for a long while before they died, and that has rather blurred their earlier selves.

And the flip of that, is I'd like to be able to go back and meet them as their child and get answers to lots of questions I thought of too late.

Also like to meet my great grandmother who is a family legend. Died long before I was born, but I've heard the stories, seen the photos.....

None of that should really change anything - chatting to a stranger - we all do it.
    rai

rai New Member

that's what Oedipus the King said before he poked his eyes out.
    mosaix

mosaix Active Member

There's not much doubt that the crucifixion took place. Watching the tomb, however, would prove interesting...