SG-U: 1.08 - Time

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Jungleplanet4.jpg

To be or not to be, that's the problem.

No comments? Well, that is interesting. Maybe it is that everyone is already bored with the series as the critics I've been reading are saying, but me, I'm not. I found this episode to be very interesting and somewhat quite surprising, taken that there's a paradox in the play.

But let's throw a curve ball, shall we?

What if there isn't a paradox and those who died are actually dead? Is that going to make the series more interesting? Maybe we are going to see that eighty per cent of the people are going to die in destiny, and we finally get a crew that is made from small numbers. Say at maximum five or six.

Thing is that is a very bold move from the producers and writers. The writer certainly have vested interest on building up certain characters, and now if they're dead, they are gambling on the interest of the audience. It might work or then it might not.

However, I think that they're going to play the paradox in such a way that is predicted at the end of the time episode and the people, the Destiny's crew is saved. But in the grander scheme is it possible? Would the rewritten BSG being more interesting if the old cylon's prediction of "... it has happen before and it'll happen again!" coming true made the series more interesting? Maybe to me, it would have notched things a bit higher because I personally believe that one cannot break true destiny - the grand paradox.

I thought it was a boring ep, people are calling it a real SG1 ep,what made that series great in TV.com but i think this ep would have been better written first.

It was interesting in the first half,with time loop,the deaths,the creatures. Then they did the same thing over and over again. A time travel ep like must be more dramatic,memorable.

Every planet ep has been pointless to me, I miss the eps like the first two where it was more like BSG setting wise and dealt with situations on the ship.

They suck with planet eps,they cant write them. If that doesnt improve i will dump it and dont think it will survive cause the writing isnt strong enough.

On a practical level, for me it was simply visually too dark - I was having genuine trouble seeing what was going on. It does tend to take away from what may (or may not) have been a very clever and intriguing plot. On that front, starting already in a loop was relatively clever, But, as said, the moment someone died in the second it was "okay, here we go again". But, up to a point, until they figured a way out, they might have to keep making the same mistakes till they learned how to stop.

Visually it wasn't too dark for me but the shaky camera annoyed me very much. They overdid the hole kino thing.

I dont look forward to the next ep anymore like usual.

I dont look forward to the next ep anymore like usual.
That, and lets be honest would anyone miss it if it just finished now? Do you actually care what happens to the characters? Can you actually name the majority of them? I am watching this series as I have been a SG fan since the film, but there is something missing, I have the series on Sky+ but I don't feel an urgent need to rush and watch each episode. I really hope they pull this series around, and the recent attack on critics by the producers is not going to help.

Ithought ep 8 started very well and was definitely enjoying the premise of the episode. The time loop idea, and the infection and the creatures. But then it does seem a little too coincidental, they just happen to stop near an Ice planet and bring back ice, that seems fine but the small creatures in the water grow large enough to be seen on microscope, just as they happen to be taken ill, and they have dropped out of FTL to check a planet that just so happens to have a creature on that might have antibodies to the unknown ice infecting creature in its venom. That is quite a coincidence.

Then the episode started to suck a bit, with the whole people dying and everyone crying, and then the second attempt to send the kino back.

Surely, sending the kino back in time was a fluke, the flare from the sun can disrupt the worm hole and bend it back on itself, either in the past or the future. Who is to say that the second time (if indeed it was the second time) they sent it back it would have even gone back in time and not forwards, elt alone ended up in a perfect wormhole loop that takes it to the same planet again. That the wormhole looped once was quite unlikely, but twice in 2 days, that's a bit of a stretch.

Also, I thought that the emotional moments, where Eli talked of his mother's HIV and the dr woman told about her life, even the moment when Rush found out he actually has something in common with the commander, were good for building the relationships between the crew, but now those moments wont ever happen, so no-one will know that Eli's mum is ill, or that Rush likes Butch cassidy and the sundance festival kid.

Still I will continue to watch as long as I can

That the wormhole looped once was quite unlikely, but twice in 2 days, that's a bit of a stretch.

Thinking back to SG-1's "1969", "2010" and the DTV "Continuum" the flares themselves seem to have a predictable outcome on wormholes, when it comes time travel. Hence the time aspect invoked can be calculated with the right knowledge, as done in all three episodes.

I'm simply assuming that the flare which they used to loop was the "same" flare in "real time", so would induce the same temporal effect each time it was "used" for that purpose. But this stuff makes my head hurt, so who knows...

Okay, am I the only one who enjoyed this episode? So it was a massive fluke that t played out as it did, but it wouldn't have been much of a story if they had all died in the pre-credits teaser. Many stories rely on unfeasible coincidences, but then you can do that in fiction because it can lead to much more interesting stories.

I liked the fact that they started with the kino recording of a previous loop, I didn't see that coming, I have to admit, and they learned as we did the things needed to stop this from happening once. When you've seen as much time travel stuff as I, and probably most of you, have it's like deja-vu all over again; you know what to expect - "if at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try, try again" as Jack O'Neill once said.

I'm simply assuming that the flare which they used to loop was the "same" flare in "real time", so would induce the same temporal effect each time it was "used" for that purpose. But this stuff makes my head hurt, so who knows...

That's what I worked out, after a little head-scratching. Astronomically speaking there are so many variables in solar flares, but assuming the variables become constant in a time-loop scenario, it would have been the same flare on the same trajectory each time. If the variables could change then they would have done so in "1969" as well - the only difference in temporal loops is free will, the ability for people to change outcomes because of their prior knowledge. Time travel rules in most cases mean that the universe goes on as it would, because each time is the first.

By the time I'm posting this I've already watched the next episode. Getting ahead of myself a bit - ain't time grand!

That, and lets be honest would anyone miss it if it just finished now? Do you actually care what happens to the characters? Can you actually name the majority of them? I am watching this series as I have been a SG fan since the film, but there is something missing, I have the series on Sky+ but I don't feel an urgent need to rush and watch each episode. I really hope they pull this series around, and the recent attack on critics by the producers is not going to help.

I feel the same exact way. I dont care what happens to characters. The few characters i want to know more about are dismissed that they dont get any ep about them. Greer,Eli,Johansson.

Its always about Scott being heroic,being saved ,Young's love live....

I havent watched the last two eps. I'm done. There are other good shows i can watch instead.

Misfists from UK example is much better written,worth my time.

Back